Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

6x9 VIBE speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 355 ZZ4
Transmission: T5 Manual
6x9 VIBE speakers?

I originally had Cerwin Vega's in the back and the car sounded like it had a subwoofer in the back- awesome. Then one broke down and I replaced them with Infinity Kappa's. They aren't a patch on the old ones. I have to have the bass on my head unit down to -8!!! I want to change them and I was looking at VIBE 400watt 6x9's. They look the part. Anyone tried them or got them?
Old 07-17-2003, 12:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cerwin Vega has a rep for producing aftermarket speakers with lower mid-bass and high sensitivity. Generally they're good replacements for stock speakers in systems that won't be using a subwoofer. They play lower and louder than other speakers that were made to accompany a subwoofer while the Kappas are more focussed on sound quality than loudness or lowness. Check the crossover point and the sensitivity ratings on the two sets of speakers; I'm willing to bet that the sensitivity is higher and the crossover point is lower on the Vegas compared to the Kappas. So if you want to find a speaker that's loud and low, look for a high sensitivity and a low frequency crossover point (or at least ratings similar to your old Cerwin Vegas).

On that note, I've never heard of Vibe... are they a knock-off brand? Probably better to go with something more reputable that fits the above description...
Old 07-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I'd never heard of them either, but looking at them compared to the Kenwoods and Pioneers they seem much deeper with a far bigger magnet. Surely bigger is better!

I'm sure you're right about the crossovers etc. It looked like the Cerwins came out of a home stereo.. Would the difference in ohms make it a problem.

Thnaks for the advice.

Felix
Old 07-17-2003, 02:42 AM
TGO Supporter

Surely bigger is better!
Heh.. frequently yes But in the case of magnets, that's not always the case. Are you running these speakers off of deck power? Bigger magnets often mean bigger power requirements to make them loud; power that your deck can't supply. And flea market brands tend to make their speakers look bigger and shinier than the competition in order to give that impression. But often you'll find that a well made speaker will outperfom them with ease.

Generally (well, pretty much universally), decks tend to be rated at 4 ohms per channel. Going below that (2ohms, etc) would fry the internal amp, but going above that (6ohms, 8ohms) wouldn't hurt the speaker or the deck. However, they would be getting less power than a 4ohm speaker would. So deck ratings (they say 40 watts or 60 or whatever but their RMS values usually hover around 15-20 watts per channel) would be cut in half if you used an 8ohm speaker which is the typical resistance of a home stereo speaker.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:32 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
There's a Vibe that's from the UK. I don't know much about them but they seem to be decent.

I also think that there's some cheap korean junk with a Vibe name too.

See if your stuff looks like anything on here: http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 07-17-2003 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:12 AM

he may be referring to the Lanzar series brand "vibe" like their amps!....If it is a lanzar 6x9 it is decent,not great but decent
Old 07-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Thanks chaps,

Jim that is the correct website. I never found it so thanks for the link. They don't look too shabby do they?

It's either that or the highest spec Kenwoods that I can grab my grubby hands on!

The VIBE's look far beefier and have a higher Wattage (400w) and RMS.. I take it that is a good thing?

Felix
Old 07-17-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Felix!

Phoenix Gold do some rather nice 6X9's which are easy to get a hold of in the UK. I personally hadn't heard of Vibe before, but I'll be sure to check out the site. Thanks for the link Jim.

Have you considered getting a set of decent components for the rear? Which head-unit are you running?

BTW the Kenwood Dual-Mag speakers are quite impressive for the price, without too deep a mounting depth.

Gordon
Old 07-18-2003, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Dr G!

How's it? I'm running a Kenwood 777 stealth unit and a 75 watt amp in the rear. I don't want to go too over the top, I just want as good a sound as I did with the Cerwin's. Almost sounded like I had a bass tube. I think good 6x9's should be sufficient. I must say I am really not impressed by the Kappa's (they aren't the range toppers for Infinity are they?)

The VIBE's are in any big Halfords and like I say look really good. I'm not too worried about mounting depths, or should I be? I want some meaty sounds back there and the Infinity's really don't cut the mustard

What do you run Gordon?

Thanks,
Felix
Old 07-18-2003, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently the GTA just has the stock system , which just doesn't cut it. But in my opinion for a 13-14 year old it has held up pretty well.

The plans being considered currently are for my ICE installing buddy to rig up:- New MP3 head-unit (still not decided which), set of kick panels with Focal components, Focal components where the 6X9's reside, Rockford Fosgate amp. Then two JL Audio 10inch subs (JL10W3v2). Costly set-up, but should sound rather meaty!

Anyone know where I can get a fascia adaptor/mounting plate for a new single DIN head unit?

What do you guys think?