Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

headunit wire question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headunit wire question

i'm almost done connecting all the wires to the harness. I'm using the install doctor diagram for what wires go to what. I have an 1985 Iroc and the only questions are I have a few wires that I'm not sure what to do with and I don't want to mess anything up and have to pull everything apart again. On the diagram and in my car there is a gray wire that is the dimmer wire and it says connect it to orange if available and I have a orange wire with a white stripe...I'm assuming this is the one but it has never been using and I took this radio out of my 94 Camaro that I totaled. Before I paid someone to do it, my mistake. Then the last one there is a connector with an orange wire and a orange and brown wire and according to the dagram the orange is the 12 volt battery wire connecting to a yellow wire which I connected already and the brown they just write not used. If this is true do I just cap it off, I don't know what do I do with it. I have a light blue wire too that is lable ATT... I think is the power antenna wire but again I'm not positive. If anyone can help that would be awesome, I really want to get this done. thanks.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '81 Trans Am
Engine: 6.6L
Transmission: auto 350
dude slow down... you didnt say what type of deck your putting in??? If the deck is aftermarket does it got a diagram on it? post "ALL" the colors that are coming off the deck. After you do that ill go from there.

P.S. dont forget if its got a striped wire tell us what color the stripe is, dont just say a black and white wire.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:26 PM

thanks for responding... I went through everything, I have a Sony CDX-M610, I actually don't have anything that came with it right now the box and instructions is in a car at my dads work (I totaled it). Well I kind of figured out looking at other posts. I have an Orange wire with a white stripe from the HU that I hooked up with the gray wire from the car (dimmer/ illumination), right? Then I hooked up yellow to yellow (12+ volt ignition)?? All the speaker wires are fine they work right. Then Black to Black for the ground. The only thing left is the 12+ volt constant...this is the orange from the car and the only wire I have left from the HU is a red one so I hooke those up but I think it is a bad connection, because it isn't keeping memory...

The 2nd brown I just kepted looking around and finding that people said it was the dimmer for the clock or the bass control or something either way I don't need it because I have the dimmer going from the gauges...

If you think anything else could be wrong with the memory thing, I think that is really it for my problems with it now, although i haven't tried the remote yet, thanks for the response and sorry it was a mess of a post, I have been working on this for days now and it is the first time so I don't want to mess anything up and do something terrible to my car, thanks again.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:33 PM

These are all the colors from the HU:

Purple
Purple w/ black stripe
White
White w/ black stripe
Green
Green w/ black stripe
Gray
Gray w/ black stripe
Red
Yellow
Black
Orange w/ white stripe
Blue (labelled "ATT")

Then I have two other wires I think are for AMPs or something:
One is labeled ANT .3 REM
the other ANT .1 REM .... I think, they have different connector
things on them anyways
Old 05-16-2003, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

yah you got your 2 (+) power wires backwards i think.

cars wires --------- decks wires
yel(ign +) ---------- red (ign +)
org(always +)------ yel (always +)

thats how they go (not yel to yel)
Have a good one man!
Old 05-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Hm, on that second "mini" connector, brown is the clock dim. It gets constant +12 when you turn your lights on. Coincidentally, this is the same brown wire that turns onyour headlights.

The gray is the dimmer.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:27 PM

Alright, I have another question about this, it might be something wrong with my car...

When I hook up the orange (constant) to yellow and the yellow (ignition) to red---The radio is on constantly, no matter if the car is on or not it will keep playing

When I hook up the yellow to yellow and the orange to red all seems to work well, the radio comes on only when in ACC or the car is started...but there is no memory. If I shut the car off for a few seconds then turn it back on everything is saved fine but if I wait about, I don't know 5-10 minutes it all resets.

do you think there is something wrong with the radio, whatever is suppose to store the information, right now it is yellow to yellow and orange to red so it won't drain the battery, but everything isn't working out the way it's supposed too. I have a warranty thing with best buy and I don't know how they do it now since it has been about 2 of the 4 years on it and I don't think sony makes these anymore maybe somebody knows if they give me credit or what... if anyone thinks they can help me please do
Old 05-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

well it should work the way i said...but who knows if those wires in your car are the right color i guess.... or maybe someone ran those wires. The best way i cheak for sure is with a test light...find your ign wire and hot all times wire.
Oh yah kenwood and pioneer and jvc all use the wire colors i told you above (maybe sony is different but i dout it).

If you find your deck wont keep memory it may be the fuse burned out on the + hot all times wire (it uses a different fuse then ign + wire).
if you need to know the name of the fuses or anymore of your wires for the car here is a quick pic of the diagram.

Dont give up the problems right in front of you I bet.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Before we blame the head unit, disconnect the factory's yellow and orange wire. With the key off, probe each one with a test light. (Connect the wire of the test light to ground... good spot is the outer "case" of the cigarette lighter socket).

The factory orange wire should have +12, no matter what position the key is in.

The factory yellow wire should only have +12 when you turn your key on (or back to ACC).

If those wires give the correct voltage, I'd suspect the radio. I bet Best Buy could test the radio in their shop, too. It only takes 3 wires, a 12 volt battery, and one speaker to test out a radio.

I know it's a pain but I'm curious; how are the other wires hooked up (all of them)?? Can you give us a table like "GM to Sony"? Just wondering if there's some kind of "feedback" from a wire that's keeping the head unit powered up all the time.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:42 PM

From those symptoms it sounds like you have the decks red and yellow connected to the cars orange.the att wire is used with a mobile phone.It should be light blue but not to be confused with the power antenna blue/white stripe,and amplifier remote dark blue
Old 05-19-2004, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: stock 350
From the experience I have had installing aftermarket head units, if both the power wires(constant on and ign on) aren't connected the head unit will not work at all. For example if just the red wire(ign on) is connected the head unit will not come on at all. And it works vice versa with the constant on wire. With that said here are your wire colors and functions on the head unit courtesy of crutchfield.com

Purple - RR+
Purple w/ black stripe - RR-
White - LF+
White w/ black stripe - LF-
Green - LR+
Green w/ black stripe - LR-
Gray - RF+
Gray w/ black stripe - RF-
Red - +12V Accessory
Yellow - +12V Constant
Black - Ground
Orange w/ white stripe - Illumination
Light Blue (labelled "ATT") - Cellular Mute( for use with a cell/mobile phone)
Blue - Ant Rem (Max Output = 0.1A) goes to a power antenna if you have one
Blue w/ white stripe - Amp Rem (Max Output = 0.3A) goes to amp turn-on

Now here is a diagram of stock wiring
Attached Thumbnails headunit wire question-wiring-colors-82-88.jpg  
Old 05-19-2004, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: stock 350
Hopefully that should clear up a lot of questions. Now for the memory loss it sounds like you don't have a constant on power source. Check the car's orange wire with a Volt Meter, should be hot all the time. Turn the key on and off while your checking it because later on down the line it could be spliced to the yellow 12v accessory wire. Then check the car's yellow accessory wire for 12 volts when the ignition is truned to the on or acc position. Once you know you have these right everything should work as planned.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:09 AM

serious question no sarcasm intended, but can u get a wireing harness for 1985 cars?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
pardon-
gm used the same harness on all their cars. just go grab one from the junk yard.