Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

My sub box idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 TransAM
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: TH350
This are picture of my 84 Transam, as you can see I no longer have a trunk, but it's well worth it. IGNORE THE AMP AND SUBS IN THOSE PICTURES. They have been changed since then, I now have 4 10" Polk Audio subs and a new amp (amp should arrive soon)

Beware large pic:

http://www.virtual-underground.com/p...car_trunk1.jpg
http://www.virtual-underground.com/p...car_trunk2.jpg
http://www.virtual-underground.com/p...car_trunk3.jpg

I am more than willing to share any kind of info that you guys might want to ask.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:16 AM

Car: 1989 White Trans-AM
Engine: 305 TPI hopefully Upgraded Soon.
Transmission: Crappy Needs Improvment.
i just want ideas for a new box with lots of air space...
Old 05-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '81 Trans Am
Engine: 6.6L
Transmission: auto 350
Originally posted by transam305
that's a nice box.... hey joe who's car is that? i'd put something over those subs if i'm going to have the strap over them like that...
yah thats my box.......I made it all myself cause its fiberglass and contures the hole allthe way down i get max. cubic feet for having a box that low,,,thus why i built a fiberglass one its cause i have ttops and i wanted it as small as posiable.
I have lots of room for my ttops also,,,,just that when i put them in the bag I turn them upside down first (dont try this if its windy almost droped them a time or two) so the bowed ends are pointing up and not pokeing my sub. And when I dont have the tops in the bag I fold my zipper bag under so its not laying on the subs. and cause i made a raised faceplate of foam and vinal and wood that lays on the box and around the subs i can sit the ttops on them and it dosnt come in cantact with the moving cone at all. Im running 2x12" subs and i think i pushing it to get an inside volume of 1 cubic foot for each sub. I think i need 1.2 for a sub,,, i tryed foam inside to trick the subs but i feel it didnt work, so i left it out. I sujest anyone to measure with water especially if your box isnt sqare. I forgot to measure mine cause i wanted to hear it right away! I love it anyhow works great! I want some flame chrome sub grils but gotta wait a wile for the extra $ yah know.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:30 AM

sounds to me like you have a vary nice sounding system.. so how much did it cost you and how much time did you put into that box? and how difficault was it?
Old 05-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '81 Trans Am
Engine: 6.6L
Transmission: auto 350
Originally posted by transam305
sounds to me like you have a vary nice sounding system.. so how much did it cost you and how much time did you put into that box? and how difficault was it?
Thanks... yes it does sound good,,, as good as any other fiberglass box that small.
To build the box it cost about $80-100 (can) all supplies from grosery and hardware stores. For the face plate it was like $20 (can.) stuff from upolstry shop (got the wood for free tho). For the peice of metal for the amp rack was $30(can) from a metal shop.
As for time it was like 4-5days for the box 2-3 hrs a day. The faceplate was like 3hrs (taking my time to cover it well without bumps. The amp rack too like 3-4 hrs too triming and fitting and drilling holes to run wires underneath it.
Go to my site if you have not yet to read more......it shows all the stuff i used.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=186985&page=5
Old 05-16-2003, 08:27 AM

sounds like fun.. too bad i'm selling my car.... with everything in it.... well maybe not the subs and stuff but the cd player and stock replacements.... i'll sell the box that i got with the but the subs and amp are coming out.... i just made that desicion lastnight my girlfriend told me i should keep my subs and stuff and put them in her car LOL i don't think so if anything there going in my new car.