Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Owners of pioneer AVX-P7300DVD or other Pioneer motorized screen headunits... READ

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Owners of pioneer AVX-P7300DVD or other Pioneer motorized screen headunits... READ

ok, well i just wanted to help out anyone who has one of these headunits, and have the same problem i did with it....If your screen makes noise but doesnt move in or out,...read on. I bought my pioneer AVX-P7300DVD (in-dash 7" widescreen motorized monitor/CD player/DVD player) about a year and a half ago and the factory warranty has expired. However, about 2 weeks ago my screen stopped working, it would not come out or go up or in under its own power. It just heard the motorized sound but didnt move. From talking to a few people i found out that the screen is controlled by several plastic gears that tend to break after about a year, poor craftsmanship, but oh well. For a headunit that retails for around 1900.00 youd think it would last a lil longer. but anyway, i looked into sending it to pioneer to be repaired and i was told it would be several weeks or months and like at least $300 after labor. Tongith i decided to undertake the repair myself. I did go to college for electrical engineering for a year and i did robotics in HS so i basically knew what i was doing. After a little dismanteling, i found the one gear that went bad its the main drive gear on the rod in the rear of the unit. I pulled it out and called up Pioneer parts line. I told the sales rep my model number, my problem, and that i just wanted to buy the one gear that broke. He knew which gear it was before i even said it, i guess it happens a lot. the gear is $21.06 each, so i bought 2 just to have a spare just in case it brakes in another year. Much better than $300+ and no radio for weeks if i sent it in. The parts are being shipped out tomorrow morning, so by the weekend my system will be whole once again. *****SO, If you have this problem, email me and i'll get back to you with details how i took it apart, the parts line phone number, and the part number(once i get my gears)....im just trying to help...sorry for the long post....
:lala:

Last edited by smokingss; 03-19-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 (350 TPI)
Transmission: MD8 (700 R4) + 3.42 LS1 Rear
thanks for the info. even though i don't own this pariticular model i might run into one though. people are always coming to me to fix their radios, amps, etc...
Old 03-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work!

wish i could figure out why my pioneer changer keeps acting up.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:17 AM

ok, i finally got my parts today, the gear comes already installed on the "drive rod" with 2 other end gears. And, Just like i expected...Pioneer now uses an updated version of the gear which broke. It appears to be of a composite material now instead of regular plastic, also the retaining screw for the main gear goes all the way through the rod and locks the other side in place too, instead of just holding one side(where its known to break and therefore the gear slides) One part about the repair i MUST say, watch those flat wire connections (you'll see what i mean if u attempt this) ...the one going from the dvd/cd part to the monitor was very tricky and a big PITA. but i got it finally it. Its now all back together without any leftover parts, which surprises me actually, thank goodness i got it all right the first time...but i'll only know for sure if the repair worked when i hook it back up in my car tomorrow evening after work.....i'll let ya know how it goes.. :hail:

Oh yeah...the part number from Pioneer is as follows... cxb8855 retail price is $21.06 and the customer service phone number is 1-800-421-1404...

Good luck if you attempt fixing your headunit yourself, and you're welcome to email me for any info on it...-Paul

Last edited by smokingss; 03-25-2003 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:54 PM

ALL IS GREAT!!!!!:lala:

it works perfectly, i plugged it in a lil while ago and i was impressed. The Screen moves smoothly and quietly. Im very proud of myself being able to fix something like that without any instructions or anything...attached is a pic of the Head unit while i was waiting for parts (the white thing on the screen is the gear that got stripped)... Now i can finally use my system and my subs once again, not to mention being able to watch DVD's ...just one last issue to deal with....i need to buy a new dash install kit, the weight of the Pioneer head unit broke the one side tab(cheap plastic kit) but thats not a big deal....
Attached Thumbnails Owners of pioneer AVX-P7300DVD or other Pioneer motorized screen headunits... READ-radioapart.jpg  
Old 03-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 (350 TPI)
Transmission: MD8 (700 R4) + 3.42 LS1 Rear
kool. i'm glad all went smoothly and it works again.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:36 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Owners of pioneer AVX-P7300DVD or other Pioneer motorized screen headunits... REA

Hello, I know this is a super old thread but I have owned this head-unit for over 10yrs and now it's starting to fail in a different way. (DVD disc reader). I had the main ribbon cable for screen retraction in/out replaced by Pioneer a long time ago. Would you still have this unit and which brain? please pm me since we had an 88 RS in family and why I'm on the site looking for one and incidentally found your thread. I I would like to buy your unit if in good working/aesthetic condition since it's rare to find. Please email me back at Hotmail or pm/reply here. Long shot obviously but I value it. Jay