Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

what amp to power this brahma?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what amp to power this brahma?

I am looking into getting a 10" Adire Brahma for my new Tahoe. What amp should I get for it? I will probably be getting around a 0.85 cubic foot box, and Adire recommends about 700 watts RMS for this. So what amp would you suggest?

Also, how will is compare to my setup in my camaro?
-2 audiobahn 12's 500 watts RMS
-Audiobahn amp 560 watts RMS

Thanks for any help
Old 02-23-2003, 08:44 AM

Brahma's are a fantastic sub...some say a slight step behind the W7. I'd put something like a JBL600.1 or a JL 1000/1 behind it, but i'm sure there are amps out there that'll fit it better.

I know someone on another message board who runs a 12" brahma backed by a jbl1200 and around a 1 cube box and hits 140s with no problem. So i'm guessing the 10 brahma will be plenty loud and have some fantastic SQ as well.

- Andy
Old 02-23-2003, 12:27 PM

The Audiobahn stuff will not even compare, Adire Brahma's are in a whole different league. But as far as overall output, even the brahma 10" will be hard to match 2 12" subs. You most likely will have a reduction in overall output but a large increase in SQ.

JL's 500/1 put out 630rms @ 4ohm's when Car Sound tested it:
http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/jl_5001.html

Other amps you could look into would be the JBL's, Kicker, RF, Memphis etc. I would avoid all the real cheap brands because they always overrate their equipment. IE say it will put out 700rms but will only do so when severly distorted and with a sub like a brahma you want lots of clean power.

Why not go with a 12" brahma?

Last edited by mcss383; 02-23-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:19 PM

why do you say adire recommends 700 watts? just buy the jbl bp1200.1, less than 300 bucks and a perfect match for the 10.. i got one too
Old 02-24-2003, 01:03 AM

http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_aud...r_handling.htm

'Power handling' is just partly dependent on the sub itself, the main factor is the box. The idea is the smaller the box the harder it is to compress the air inside the box so it requires more power to move the sub to Xmax, once you apply more power than is needed to move it to Xmax you don't get any more output, you just destroy the sub.

The power limit of the sub itself is just a guide to show the max it can thermally/mechanically handle. How much it actually needs is soley based on the volume of the box.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:42 AM

ehh.. this is something im not too familier with. 700 watts at full excursion (larger box) is the same output as 1000 watts at full excursion (smaller box)?
Old 02-24-2003, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by mcss383

'Power handling' is just partly dependent on the sub itself, the main factor is the box. The idea is the smaller the box the harder it is to compress the air inside the box so it requires more power to move the sub to Xmax, once you apply more power than is needed to move it to Xmax you don't get any more output, you just destroy the sub.

The power limit of the sub itself is just a guide to show the max it can thermally/mechanically handle. How much it actually needs is soley based on the volume of the box.
yes, I realize that, I am going to build a .85 cubic foot box, that is why I need an amp that is about 700 watts, like I stated in my original post.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:57 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Originally posted by mcss383

Adire's site has a wealth of great knowledge that everybody here should read. I can't tell you how often we all see posts on here asking about power handling, power output, etc. I get it constantly on IM from people too. No matter how much you explain just how useless power ratings are, some people can't quite grasp it until they read something as good as the tech on Adire's site.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:41 PM

so then to clarify.. full xmax is maximum output?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:30 PM
TGO Supporter

No. Full x-max is the maximum distance that the cone can travel in a "linear" fashion. As usual, there's no specific guideline for companies to follow when publishing this spec, so with most drivers it's listed as the maximum mechanical distance that the cone can travel, which doesn't really mean much. The Brahma is capable of a MASSIVE excursion while still maintaining a perfectly linear travel. For normal people that means that the sub doesn't sound like a fart caught in a storm at high SPLs. The Brahma can get wicked loud and still sound real good at those volumes. There are only a handful of subs on the market that are capable of this. The Brahma, the RE XXX and 1 or two others all use the same motor assembly, which is patented. Then there's JL with their W7. Similar capabilities, different technological approach. The JL and Brahma are considered the two best sounding subs on the market, and both also have the highest linear excursion capabilities.

From what I've been reading (no personal experience here... at least not until I hit the Powerball numbers), the W7 maintains a higher sound quality at super high excursions, but at low and medium exursions, the Brahma sounds cleaner. Since I don't do any critical listening at 140dB, I'm more concerned that it sounds good at tolerable levels, but still has the ability to shake that bonehead thumping his garbage music in the car next to me into oblivion. The Brahma is the sub for me.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:53 PM

You acheive maximum undistorted output at Xmax, by undistorted I mean the distortion is below a certain percent (can't remember off the top of my head the #). Subs usually can go farther than their Xmax, they just arent linear anymore and will sound like poo and possibly damage them. This is all assuming that the manufacturer isn't lying about the specs of the sub.

With the brahma its Xmax is the most you will get out of it, the motor is capable of several mm's more travel but the suspension is limiting it to ONLY 27mm. hehe

Definatly have to agree with you Jim, Adire has some very good tech papers! Man I would love to work for them.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:04 AM

bleh, i guess that came out wrong, im very aware of what xmax is... the question i have is this:

taking the brahma for example, and the specs from the website, full xmax is achieved with 700w in 0.87 cubic feet, and with 1000w in 0.49 cubic feet. what i was trying to ask was...

how does the output compare between the two box choices?

sorry about my lack of articulation.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:04 AM
TGO Supporter

The output should be identical. Assuming that both are sealed boxes, your output will have a direct correlation with the excursion. So many people stuff their sub in a smaller box because it handles more power, then they stick a small amp on it. If they used a bigger box, their results would be better.

But... this is assuming that you're looking for SPL from a sound quality type setup. If you want max SPL and sound quality isn't a concern, then stuffing it in a small box with a high Q will produce a narrow frequency band where you get a LOT of output. Sounds like ***, but works well when you burp it in contests.