Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

sound deadning- care of rick @ Raammat

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: TBD
sound deadning- care of rick @ Raammat

You are welcome to post this info, it is universal to all cars and I know it would really be good for your particular cars with such large doors.

The doors are the most important area to mat for SQ in all vehicles, you get better midbass response(that is if you have speakers in the doors) and reduces a very large amount of road noise.

Here is my standard front door deadening technique for the most benefit and reasonable weight gain.

1) Remove the door panels and the factory clear plastic seal attached to the door, through the seal in the trash! You can either cut around the goop they hold it on with or peel it off and lay the mat over it.
2) Install one layer of a good quality aluminum backed mat inside the door on the outer door skin covering as much of that area as you can reach, overlapping the seams around 1/2". Whatever brand you choose, the aluminum ones are the better material, higher grade usually and in multiple layer situations really stiffen the area applied to.
3) Next, right behind the speaker locations, on the outer skin add two more layers approx. 12" sq or whatever fits, on top of the first layer.
4) Add a couple layers of mat around the speaker mounting area to stiffen up that for less resonance or even better yet, make a baffle out of MD., etc. then a bit of mat on that as well. Cover all the access holes in the door, usually I just use big pieces and seal up the whole inner panel, where you removed the factory plastic seal, overlapping the seams and cut the mat back about an inch from the edges of where the door panel will cover them.
5) This is not absolutely needed but I always do it and the results are nice, use a layer of 1/8" close cell foam over the mat on the door, cut it about 1/2" back from the edge.
6) Finally, tap on the door panel and add strips of mat to the back to deaden any resonate areas, usually about a third of the door panel will do.
)Put the door back together and enjoy the difference right away, reduced road noise and improved midbass response will be readily apparent.

This is the minimal door deadening I consider adequate for all cars and trucks no matter who made them.

There are other tricks I use like wrapping the rods for the door locks, etc. in foam tape where ever they are close to each other, keeps them from rattling. I also build solid baffles for the speaker mounts and brace the inner door skin with 1/8" thick walled aluminum channels, spray undercoating on parts I cannot reach, etc. One more favorite thing I do is cut some sheet metal to fit the openings in the inner door panel, the ones you reach through to mat the outer door panel, just big enough to overlap the hole then use a couple of screws to hold it down. I mat over that to make a more solid air space for the midbass, I use perforated aluminum as lighter and does the trick but regular sheet metal will do.
Better to have the mat stuck to something in that area than just covering a big hole.

Rick
RAAMaudio

Last edited by redcamaro83; 12-28-2002 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: TBD
hope this helps some people. peace, and happy holidays