Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Want an MP3 deck but don't know much about them...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 spd
Want an MP3 deck but don't know much about them...

Right now I have a 10 disc changer running through a Clarion cd deck (deck cd player doesn't work anymore) and I'm looking into MP3 decks since I have a ton of MP3's and all my cd's on MP3. I have a few questions about these and how they work. First off I'm kind of partial to Pioneer. How exactly do these decks work, do they just read mp3 format off of cd's that you create or do they use memory sticks that you can download mp3's onto? Also, are there any special features I should look for when looking at these? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
I put a $140 Jensen in my wife's MX6, and it's awesome. Granted it's a Jensen, so it's not blowing any windows, but it serves it's purpose. It was THE best $140 I ever spent on a CD player. Actually I only wanted to spend that much on a CD player, the MP3 part was just a perk, and a GREAT one at that.

All you do is Copy/Paste the files onto a CD-R or a CD-RW and play away. The one we have has a display scroll the Artist, Song, Album, etc. Depending on home many files you can get on a CD-R/W, that's how many songs it can play. The owner's manual says up to 255 songs and can be seperated into 8 folders, like Country/Rap/Rock, etc.

Think about that..... You have a 10 disc changer. Let's say there's 15 songs on each CD. That's only 150 songs, and I bet you don't listen to ALL of them.

I just recently took some songs off of her CD's that she liked the most, and put 97 songs onto one disc for her, and the CD-RW was only ~1/3 to 1/2 full. It keeps about 25-30 CD's OUT of her car for someone to steal, or for my kid to break. She loves me just a little bit more now.

The sound quality is great. Even being a Jensen and using 5"x7" JBL speakers, it's unreal how much more clear the SQ is compared to a CD. I suppose it's due to a direct-read? I was shocked, and happy.

I want an MP3 player for my car now.

OH...... BTW, the only disadvantage is (at least on ours) you CAN'T fast forward through songs. You know... when you hold down the FF button to go to a 'part' of a song you like. You have to wait. But it IS cool to be able to punch in #87, and have it jump to song #87!!! I've never punched in song #87 before.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:52 AM

Car: 89' Iroc
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
i have the Pioneer Deh-P740MP it is the premier version of the 7400, it has the OEL display with all the backgrounds, it plays MP3's, you just use nero or adaptec to creat an MP3 disc and it plays them. The 740 is limited to 258 songs per cd, shows folder name (lets you have folders for organization) track name, artist, bit rate, time, and you can fast forward the song! it is a little slower switching betweent he MP3 tracks compared to when you have a regular cd in it
Old 12-15-2002, 03:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Yep, i got a sweet spot in my heart for a good mp3 cd player but not till y2k did I finally get myself to spend 100 bucks for a cds player with a remote. pioneer DEH-P4000
Old 12-15-2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by caleb
i have the Pioneer Deh-P740MP it is the premier version of the 7400, it has the OEL display with all the backgrounds, it plays MP3's, you just use nero or adaptec to creat an MP3 disc and it plays them. The 740 is limited to 258 songs per cd, shows folder name (lets you have folders for organization) track name, artist, bit rate, time, and you can fast forward the song! it is a little slower switching betweent he MP3 tracks compared to when you have a regular cd in it
I was actually looking at this unit tonight in a store. It seemed like a good deal. One thing that's kind of important to me (because I wasn't able to do it on a friend's player) is that you can see what songs are on the current disc without having stop playing the current song, is that possible with this unit? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:58 PM

Car: 1984 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: TH700-R4
to answer you question about memory stick, i think there are only a few out there with that feature...and they are not cheap. i think its either sony or pioneer has one for about a grand and it even lets you record songs off the radio.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:56 PM

10" or 12" sub for my application???

I'm looking into getting a new sub for my trunk in a truck box so I can have a little more room in my trunk. Right now I have a 10" bazooka-style bass tube which basically takes up the whole trunk. My question is will I be happier with a 10" or 12" sub? I listen to metal so I need the sub to bring out the drums which have sharp and abrubt beats rather then say rap/r&b type music where the bass is more drawn out. The tube I have now does a pretty good job of bringing out the double bass notes and such, but if I can keep the sharpness and clarity and get a little more punch with a 12" sub I'd go with that. Please advise and also feel free to make suggestions about brands of subs, lots of people seem to be happy with JBL. Thanks.