Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Radio fuse location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio fuse location?

Greetings, all...

I'm in the process in installing a Pioneer DEH-P47DH head unit into my 1986 Trans Am. (Previous Kenwood unit got stolen, and the thief slashed most of the wires behind the dash in the process. Arrgh!) One problem I'm having is that when I wire things up, the head unit remains dead. I'm suspecting a blown fuse.

The inline fuse to the radio is fine, as are all the fuses on the main panel to the left of the steering column under the dash. However, none of those fuses is specifically marked for the radio.

I pulled out my trusty Chilton's manual, and it has a diagram for some sort of "convenience panel" that has the fuse for the radio along with a couple other fuses. However, it doesn't say where this panel is located. I've pulled about half my dash apart looking for it, but still no luck. I vaguely recall having this problem back when I had the Kenwood unit installed, but that was a while ago and somebody else was doing most of the work.

Help!

-- David
Chicago, IL

Last edited by DSCole312; 07-08-2002 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevermind...

After the fine folks at Tweeter dug around inside my dash for a while, the realization was made that I had mistakenly wired my new head unit to the now-defunct wires that went to the factory subs. Everything's been fixed now, and the new head unit works fine... Hopefully it won't get stolen this time.

That extra fuse panel? It's nowhere to be found, even though I double-checked Chilton's to confirm that it says my car is supposed to have one. Oh well.

-- David
Chicago, IL