Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

12s or 10s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12s or 10s?

Hey i have the kicker KX600.4 amp rated at 300w*2. im really confused on what subs i should buy....i was going to get the kicker compVR 12s but than a guy at the audio store told me to get 2 Oz 10s and he said they will sound better. What is a good sub get, to go perfect with my amp? i want something that will hit hard
thanks alot
Old 06-12-2002, 10:25 AM

I would get the 12" Vr's. They hit hard and clean. They will go great w/ the Kicker amp. Matching things is always better. Although don't put them in a ported box, although Kicker recomends it. Put these in a bigger sealed box and put them behind your back seat and people will hear you comin 3 blocks away.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: auto
i agree. you'll get better, cleaner bass response with 12s over 10s most times. and plus, for some reason systems always sound so much better when everything is from one manufacturer, i don't know why, they just do. here's the most important thing, though: get a good alarm.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:52 AM

alright thanks alot for the help....thats what i wanted in the first place so thats what im getting
Old 06-12-2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by 82Z28_Camaro
Matching things is always better
a sub could care less what brand your amp is. As long as it gets the power it needs.

Generally, it's better not to stick to one manufacturer for all aspects of your system, as some companies are better at one thing then others.

mike
Old 06-12-2002, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird vert
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: auto
i don't know how to do the quote thing (somebody help me), so i'll just do this: djsexay you said you shouldn't stick with one brand and it doesn't make a difference.

see, i've had opposite results. i put a system into a buddy's car that sounded all right (mtx 400 watt amp and 2 punch 12s). then he got a punch amp (300 watt i think, but it was less watts than the mtx amp) and it sounded so much better. mtx is a great brand, so it can't be said that the brand was better. anyways, that's just my experience, i could be wrong, it's happened before.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by underdave
i don't know how to do the quote thing (somebody help me), so i'll just do this: djsexay you said you shouldn't stick with one brand and it doesn't make a difference.

see, i've had opposite results. i put a system into a buddy's car that sounded all right (mtx 400 watt amp and 2 punch 12s). then he got a punch amp (300 watt i think, but it was less watts than the mtx amp) and it sounded so much better. mtx is a great brand, so it can't be said that the brand was better. anyways, that's just my experience, i could be wrong, it's happened before.
Attached Thumbnails 12s or 10s?-quote-button.jpg  
Old 06-12-2002, 03:37 PM

Many regard Rockford as a better brand then MTX (I guess there are those who regard MTX as better then Rockford as well). Anyway, the increase in output had to have been from more power being delivered by the punch amp. Perhaps it was underated a bit more then the MTX ? Or perhaps the gain settings where higher, could be anything.

But the fact that they match or not match is only important when using speakers. For example, you generally want your front speakers to be the same as the back (if you use them), etc ...
Old 06-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
DJSexay has a very good point. No one company has it down in all aspects of car audio. a couple may be close, but not entirely. you do however want to match front and rear speakers like previously noted also. keep some of the audio nuances alike so your ears are not being drawn to the rear. only matching you need to do is power wise.
on the idea of subs, i myself prefer 12s. they have a larger cone area, allowing them to hit a bit lower. i was able to fit my Type-R just right, but it would have been easier with a couple of 10s instead. either one works. i dont see much of a point for 15s or higher anymore (just my opinion) because the technology of speakers have allowed smaller drivers to push just as much air as their bigger brothers of yesturday. a great budget sub is the alpine type-r. i paid $130 for mine and i love it. you will be hard pressed to find a sub that can match its sq and spl for under $300
Old 06-12-2002, 10:57 PM

hmmm...yea i liked the kicker 12s better b/c i got to listin to the Oz 10s today and they no way compared....the kickers shaked the sealing of the room and the oz i barly herd them....but with the capatible speakers in front and rear...i didnt do that b/c i didnt know...i have pioneer 6*9s and rockford 4*6s now im on to the subs....but i always thought matching amps/subs were good b/c they were made for each other, but im not the type to make sure i do that...which ever is better i go for

thanks for the help again
Old 06-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 91camaro91
hmmm...yea i liked the kicker 12s better b/c i got to listin to the Oz 10s today and they no way compared....the kickers shaked the sealing of the room and the oz i barly herd them....
I have to say the reason the Oz woofers didn't sound good is because they weren't installed properly. If you were listening at a shop and their speaker wall was set up like 99% of the ones I've seen, than they just threw the speakers in whatever slot they fit in and disregarded the proper airspace. Then there is the possibility that someone just flat out installed them wrong (wired up wrong, crossovers or gains set wrong, underpowered amp...). I place little faith in dealer demos for just that reason. You can't ever tell just how a speaker will sound until you've heard it in a properly set up car. Still, since you've heard the Kickers and you liked them, go ahead and get them. That way you know what you're getting up front instead of taking a gamble on speakers you haven't really been able to hear.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:26 PM

the Oz subs were in a camaro box, but they were hooked up a to a lanzar amp....one of the ****ty ones they make...not the optidrives.