Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Need help installing cd player in 1993 Chevy Lumina

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 400
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Need help installing cd player in 1993 Chevy Lumina

My brother wants me to install a cd player in his lumina for him, but I'm not sure how to take the dash apart. It looks like the trim piece that goes horizontally across the middle of the whole dash needs to come off, and I thought I'd try and find out how to do it the right way, before I break it. Does anything else besides this need to come off? I had him get a DIN and a 1/2 deck and a wiring harness adapter, and an antenna adapter, so if I can just get the old one out, it should be a piece of cake. I'd really appreciate any help if anybody has ever done one of these before.

Eric
Old 06-01-2002, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric,

I can't give any info specific to the 93 Lumina, but I can give you some pointers that will help you get it apart. When I was installing, I would run into cars I had never worked on before, so figuring out how to take a dash apart without breaking it was essential. First, before you even touch a tool, carefully look the situation over, and get a feel for how it comes apart. It seems you have already done this step. Most manufacturers (I say most, because GM has been notoriously the exception here, but they are getting better) will make it easy to get a specific components in the dashboard, such as instruments, heater controls, and radios without having to completely dismantle the dash. Look at it from all angles, up and down, and try to find hidden fasteners, usually under a small snap out panel, or a plastic plug. Sometimes they are hidden behind a pull out switch, or even behind the ash tray.

Now, carefully remove all the fastners you find, and begin to carefully remove the panel. Some panel clips require a decent amount of force to free, but if you feel you need to pull too hard, stop, and look for a fastener you might have missed. If you have to really force something, you are probably doing something wrong. Just take your time, be extra careful, and think it out. You should be fine.

Tony
Old 06-02-2002, 10:17 PM
GKK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro RS Update: Sold Camaro, now own a "91" Corvette.
Engine: Corvette L98 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
That horizontal trim piece just pops off and from there you have access to everything. Just start on the far right of the piece where it wraps around the end of the dash and it'll pop right off.