Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Two Questions, Either One Answered Would Be Nice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Location: "No one cares if you're in before the lock!" - Best quote ever.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Questions, Either One Answered Would Be Nice...

#1: I have a very modest system at the moment, as I'm doing things slowly, and, hopefully, correctly. As my friends went out and bought huge amps and multiple subs, I stuck to a small, moderate sub and a more expensive, but less powerful, amp. I had a box custom built for the sub and it's airspace required by a guy who does this stuff for a living...alot of my equipt. is used, and doesn't look too great, but sounds great, loud, and powerful. My first question is this: I ended up with a pair of Pioneer cheapie specials (TS-A6965) 6x9's for the moment, as they were free and years beyond the stock setup - they sound GREAT, and handle volume well - but it seems after a while, they'll for no reason start to distort horribly. Loud, crackly, crapping out all over the place....but should I turn the volume down for a bit, then back up to the same level, they seem to handle the power well for a while again. They've got a nominal power rating of 40w, 200 max or something, and are only being powered by the deck (45w per spk.). I just rewired them both with some decent speaker wire, and will be adding capacitors soon. So what do you think is the problem...? Maybe just a positive/negative thing...? Will the re-wiring help, or the capacitors....? Hmm....

Secondly, and this is just for a pal, but has anyone heard of Kaption subs...? Any info would be appreciated here, too!

Thx,
Jer
Old 05-27-2002, 01:09 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS; 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham
Engine: LH0 3.1 Liter V6; YBN 2.8 Liter V6
Transmission: TH-700-R4; TH-440
Yo, to answer question number 1, my subs did that yesterday when i turned them up, turned out the connection to the amp was a lil shaky, so i fixed it. You might wanna check your wiring. That seems like what it is. If they were blown they most likely wouldn't handle much power at all. To answer question number 2, never heard of Kapton subs. Hope I was able to give you the answers you wanted, peace out.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:24 PM

i'm assuming the wires on the speakers are loose as for the capacitors that will do nothing to your 6x9 capacitors are like another battery to help give your amp the more power. as for kaption subs, sounds like crap to me
Old 05-28-2002, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

"When we wired Jane's car, we installed passive crossover components on her front and rear factory speakers. We used 99uf 200 volt capacitors on the dash speakers and 200uf caps on the rear speakers. The lower value blocks more bass so we choose this value for the fronts since they are small 4" speakers. The back speakers are 6.5" which will play lower, so we didn't need as large a capacitor. By installing these passive crossover parts, we have effectively removed the low bass from her speakers, and as a result increased their power handling, and reduced their distortion. "

......?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:56 PM

small-value capacitors roll off certain low frequencies at 6 dbs when connected in series before a speaker.. a much larger capacitor (such as one farad) when connected in parallel to your amplifier will even out the voltage and supply some extra juice when the current surges, such as a particularly loud bass note... capacitors have lots of fun (and diverse) uses
Old 05-28-2002, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Ahh, I see....I think that clears it up a bit. I just thought capicitor = bass blocker before.....hmm......
Old 05-28-2002, 11:18 PM

and you're right but they do have other functions as well
Old 05-29-2002, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Thx, the help has been much appreciated. =) Any suggestions for 4x's for the front...? I'll assume Infinity, as it seems to be the speakers of choice....
Old 05-29-2002, 01:56 PM

personally im a huge fan of infinity, but the most important thing is to go check out your local car audio store and listen to em for about 5-10 minutes.. if you like them, go for it! everyone prefers something different in their listening, so one persons recommendation may sound absolutely horrendous to you.. i havnt met very many people who dislike infinitys though