Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

My protect light keeps coming on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My protect light keeps coming on!!!

Ok heres the story. Iv learned a little bit more about car audio since this first happened and I think I know whats wrong, I just want a second opion. I have a Audiobahn 840watt amp which I was gonna use to power a JL 10W-6 for a while. Anyway I get the amp in the car and all hook up and well the first mistake I made was my original power wire that i found when i first got the car was like small speaker wire type gauge ya know? Anyway I power it up and the protect light just comes on. I call the shop and ask and they say i could of fried a circut blah balh balh...i think they just wanted money to look at it. Well now I have just ran 2 gauge wire to the back and when Im done with the amp rack im gonna try again. Do you think the 2 gauge wire will solve my problem or is it really fried?
Old 04-30-2002, 12:51 AM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Just remember to have a good ground return to the battery, usually the ground wires from the block to the body, can't handle the extra load of a big amp. That was my problem. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

not sure about it but....

usually the protect light means you either have a load too low for the amp to handle, or theres something electrically wrong INSIDE the amp.
If your running thin power wire, it would work at low volume. When you turn it up, the amp would turn off for a few seconds to let the capacitors charge up again and turn back on and then repeat that process until the volume goes down to allow it to work without any problems.

Try to borrow a 2 channel amp from someome. Hook that up to the W6 and see what that does. If no protect light comes on, then the amp is defective.

~Tim
Old 04-30-2002, 02:32 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 CID
Transmission: Beefed up 700R4
Same thing happened to a buddy of mine...we relocated the ground and the problem went away....also check if your wire from the amp to the sub or any other speaker wire to the amp is crossing.