Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Dynamat - tips on installing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamat - tips on installing.

Hey.
Everyone here seems to have worked on their install to some extent. Therefore i wanna take some pride and say that i worked on something myself too.
So ive decided on putting sound deadner wherever needed in my car. Im going with materials sold by RAAM on ebay.
If any of u would be kind enough to point me to a site or give me any tips - ide appreciate that.
Basically it removing the carpet and apply right??? If there are any things i should look out for - pls let me know!!!
Im starting with the hatch area - and moving forward. As i get to areas further up - im sure ill need your help!!!
Thanks
Jay
Old 04-28-2002, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
raam mat, very good choice. umm, dont know if it counts for raam too, but most need to be heated up when applied. i used a simple hair dryer to do it, other use heat guns. it helps to conform the stuff to the metal. try to get as many bubbles out as possible. um, anyone else?
Old 04-28-2002, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
Clean the surface with lacquer thinner
Old 05-12-2002, 02:20 PM

Hey - i wanted to know how u guys got the left plastic panels from the rear out??? The side where the tool box goes??? Its attached to the bar for the cover over my hatch area???

And secondly - for those who installed dynomat in the hatch area - did u put the insulators back on the dynomat - or no???

Does it help double layering??? Is there a big difference???

Thanks
Jay

Any help will be appriciated cause im trying to do this on my own for a change!!!
Old 05-14-2002, 09:54 AM

Use a heat gun for best adhesion, and totally strip the vehicle of any interior panels where you are going to be applying the stuff. Careful with the heat gun too, it can easily blister up paint on the exterior of the car. A useful tool is a roller dowel, which is simply a smooth 1 1/2" diameter dowel mounted on a handle, so it can spin, look in a craft shop for this.

Work as you go, clean a surface with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), and immediatly apply the dynamat, working carefully with the heat gun from the center of the piece appled out to the edges, to push out any air bubbles. I find it helpful to slightly warm the piece of material you are about to apply with the heat gun, but not too hot, just enough to make it plyable, and easy to work with. Then just lay it down on the surface, and working with the heat gun and roller, roll it out until it conforms to the surface. Not rocket science, just be careful with that heat, and go nuts up to your budget. Yes, it does make a huge difference in SQ, the more, the better. Before you do double layers, I would suggest you look into a better grade of material, it might just be less expensive to do it that way.