Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

port holes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002 | 03:39 PM

port holes

k the awesome picture i drew shows how my subs are now, (black being the box and subs, red is the car)so after listening to the sound system that i have in my house and the sub has a port whole in the box it sounds really good, so i was wondering if i were to stick one in the center of my subs..would it sound good or no?

also you should knwo about my box is the bottom is not sealed, because i have other subs that required a small box, but now i have new lightning audio ones, that required a bigger one, so it work out the dimensions of the pit in the back gave the appropriate volume...so i just took the bottom off my box and it works fine

so just wanna know before i cut a hole in my box to test if it sounds good......i would come one here and ask first so maybe someone with the artistic talent such as I, could edit my picture of how i should go about this, or if i even should
Attached Thumbnails port holes-subs.jpg  

Last edited by chrisb62; 04-17-2002 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2002 | 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
from what ive read on this forum if ur subs are rated better with a ported box then do it. i just got some used pyle pounders for ten bucks and it came with a ported box. the arent the best in the world but good enuogh for eme.i noticed tho when i cover the ports the sub hit harder and sounds deeper. should i plug it then?
Old 04-17-2002 | 10:36 PM

For a given speaker, the box volume requirement will change when when the box is a ported design. In addition to the box volume, the port length & diameter need to be precisely calculated based on the parameters of the driver used.

So ... if you just cut a hole in your box ("to port it") it will probably make it sound much worse.

If you want to design and construct a ported box, first do some research on the internet then find some software (such as WinISD) to help with the design process.
Old 04-18-2002 | 12:12 PM

you need to seal your box, and maybe even extend it lower, you don't want any rear sound waves to cancel the front ones, the whole deal with "tuned porting" is you delay the rear wave to be in phaze with the front wave. This only happens at a given frequency, that is why it will hit hard at let's say 50Hz, but drops off sharply at 45Hz and below, a sealed box has a more gradual reduction in db loss at lower frequencies. Don't port it, since the box is too small already. A ported box requires a larger enclosure than a sealed one. Too get you subs to preform better in a box too small, fill it with poly fiber-fill
Old 04-18-2002 | 01:46 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Buy or build a real box first before you waste your time cutting more holes in it. Just adding a port isn't going to make anything better. You need a real enclosure.