Canadian Region Take off to the Great White North.

shipping across the border

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
shipping across the border

over the years ive learned that there are only 3 ways to get parts over the boarder, either FEDEX, DHL, or USPS. UPS cant get things over the boarder, and when they do they charge me a 60$ duty. nobody else does that. just wondering what you guys did to get stuff across?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:02 PM

I've had no problems shipping with any you mentioned including UPS - I like UPS actually. Getting stuff from USPS can be a royal pain - it can take them forever, even when you get a tracking #, but the hold up is usually Can Customs who take their time......
Can you be specific about the $60 - to ship to the US? There are brokerage fee's, but usually when you bring in the item, I have never paid $60 duty to ship to the USA? Duty is paid out by the receiver not the shipper.
-Andrew
Old 01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
There is no duty on shipping parts from the US to Canada for American built products (per NAFTA & Free-Trade). You do have to pay GST & PST though. But, what you probably are being charged is "brokerage"...this is the "handling charge" from the shipping company for taking the item through customs and filing the paperwork.

Also, "Brokerage Fees" are subject to GST & possibly PST depending on your location.

Just shipping within Canada is outrageous (compared to the US). They're ALL CROOKS!

The best way I have found to ship goods, is to ship them to a point in the US and pick them up yourself.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:03 PM

I just re-read Gramps post and
I'm not sure we are really addressing Gramps question. Gramps are you asking about getting things to Canada from the USA or from Canada to the USA? I am assuming that you mean from the USA to Can.

Are you telling us that you are being charge $60 in duty to ship across the boarder - CAN to the USA? When I have shipped to the USA, I have never paid the brokerage, the person who is receiving the goods ends up opening their wallet. I know that when I receive items from international destinations (USA or Europe) through UPS or FedEx, I pay the GST,PST and the brokerage...(and applicable duty). When using USPS I'm not sure what happens with the brokerage - does Canada Post take over, and thus we as Canadian's don't pay it? I can't remember about this - maybe someone else can chim in. I think we end up paying brokerage with Canada Post as well?not sure.

In addition, I'm not sure why Gramps can't get things across the boarder to the USA using UPS? - or from the USA to Canada for that matter. UPS ships from CAN to anywhere in the world including the USA and vice-versa.
When using FedEx or DHL you would be charged brokerage as well. Double check your shipping invoice. I just received a parcel through FedEx from the States. Getting things across the boarder is a pain - Ever since 9/11....
Hey Gramps, can you clarify your question for us?
Grim you are right - The shipping company is the winner
-Andrew
Old 01-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Iroc-Z 28 Camaro
Engine: LSX
Transmission: MN12
Axle/Gears: 3.42
i find this whole shipping thing from usa to canada very confusing............for example on janurary 8 2007 i ordered a hurst dual gate from summit it was shipped on the 9th.........on the site i was told 250.83 that included there handling fees.....would be charged to my visa now which is about 295 canadian, this past frday on the 12th i checked my account at the bank and it said 337.60 was charged to my visa account so does this mean the shifter has reached the border and they have auto charged sumtinm else to my visa? ohh and they shipped via us postal

Last edited by pearl_iroc; 01-14-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by pearl_iroc
i find this whole shipping thing from usa to canada very confusing............for example on janurary 8 2007 i ordered a hurst dual gate from summit it was shipped on the 9th.........on the site i was told 250.83 that included there handling fees.....would be charged to my visa now which is about 295 canadian, this past frday on the 12th i checked my account at the bank and it said 337.60 was charged to my visa account so does this mean the shifter has reached the border and they have auto charged sumtinm else to my visa? ohh and they shipped via us postal
Have you been given an invoive - you can ask Summit for an electronic one to be e-mailed to you even before you get the hard copy with the parcel. This may give you a better idea of where the fee's are comming from.
Look for shipping and handling, and then brokerage fees. Call Summit to find out who their broker is/was.

I received some stuff from Classic Industries a while back - shipped UPS. I was given a total with shipping. Once i received the tracking # from Classic for the parcel, I called UPS and asked for the brokerage fees and duty charges so that I didn't have to pay COD charges. (If I didn't do this, the delivery guy/gal wouldn't leave the parcel unless I paid at the door all the fees). The shipping company will charge you the brokerage fees, regardless of who the broker is/was. Perhaps in this case, Summit claimed the brokerage fees as they were the ones who brokered your parcel, and now have charged your Visa, instead of USPS/CANADA POST.

This is why when you receive something from the States with a declared value above $20.00usd you are stuck paying the GST,PST and brokerage. Anything less than $20.00usd or declared as a "GIFT" isn't charged - maybe someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.
Let us know what you find out pearl_iroc.
-Andrew

Last edited by kaptinkafeen; 01-14-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 PM

hey thanks for the info kaptinkafeen, I'll let you guys know when I get it.........also i did get an invoice from summit that was the total price they said would charged to the visa which was 250 sumtin ...I'll call them this week or just wait til it comes in an see wut happens.......
Old 01-14-2007, 09:42 PM

Engine: 360 .060 over TPI
Transmission: T-5
I've never had Summit charge brokerage fees. the shippign company does that. and YEs UPS is the worse ehn it come to small $$ items. Larger $$ amounts they cahrge the same as FedEx ground.

just an FYI- FedEX express and UPS priority (1-3 days delivery) do not charge broakerage fees, it is inlcuded in the shipping costs. they are their own broker for up to $1000 US.

BUT both of thier ground shippment divisions do charge broakerage fees separate. If I am in no hurry I use USPS/Canada Post.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Using any of UPS's non-Ground options avoids the brokerage fees. However, their shipping fees for the faster services always cost more than the brokerage fee for Ground. Lesson? Avoid UPS if you live in Canada.

When I used Fedex years ago, they used to mail out the brokerage fee a few weeks after you received your item. I believe (but am not sure) they now include the brokerage in the cost of shipping so there are no surprises at the front door. Not sure on that though.

Canada Post is simple and effective. $5 flat fee. May not be the fastest. May not be the slowest either.

Gramps, you need to get an account with Seawings. They accept your stuff in Washington (so you qualify for free shipping in the continental US from Summit/Jegs etc) and then they haul it over to Victoria airport where you pick it up and pay the taxes. Their fee is $17 for the first pound and 45 cents a pound after that. They'll keep your stuff for awhile if you have multiple things, but since you're local you might as well just go pick it up as it comes.

I know Summit offers USPS shipping to Canada. Jegs does to don't they?

Now going in a different direction. You want to know about UPS brokerage from Canada to the United States? Yes it does exist. It's just that the rates and dollar levels are different.
In Canada you can buy $20 cdn before you start paying UPS brokerage.
In the USA you can buy $200 usd before you start paying UPS brokerage. Actually $200 to $1250 usd is all the same price. Not so going to Canada.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...toms/fees.html

Shipping stuff to Canada as a "gift" only entitles you to not pay tax on the first $60 cdn worth. You pay GST/PST on anything above that.

Pearl IROC. With Summit, you paid their $10.95 handling fee that everybody pays regardless. That's not the shipping fee. They charge you that later after your stuff has shipped and they know the shipping price. That extra $40 was for shipping. You'll pay GST/PST and $5 when it gets to the local post office.

Last edited by Reid Fleming; 01-15-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn
Gents,

I used to work for UPS. I would not recommend using UPS as there brokerage fees are guite high. If you do use UPS............my stock thanks you.

When I have stuff shipped from the USA I request that they use USPS and that they mark the box "Gift". A lot of companies will do this as they realize Canadians get the shaft. I also tend to find companies that sell the product close to the border and go over to pick up and sneak back. Only costs me 1/2 tank of gas.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Billsblue89
Gents,

I used to work for UPS. I would not recommend using UPS as there brokerage fees are guite high. If you do use UPS............my stock thanks you.

When I have stuff shipped from the USA I request that they use USPS and that they mark the box "Gift". A lot of companies will do this as they realize Canadians get the shaft. I also tend to find companies that sell the product close to the border and go over to pick up and sneak back. Only costs me 1/2 tank of gas.
I agree with this. I get alot of stuff shipped and it is all USPS and never had a prob.

A friend of mine just got a $5 part from an Ebay sale. After he got the part he gets an invoice from UPS that he owes $144 for brokerage. Talk about high way robbery. Hence he learned the hard way, not to deal with UPS.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:44 PM

looks like you guys took it pretty seriously. i was referring to shipping from USA to canada (ie: buying parts from summit and having them shipped to my home in BC). and altho i know i have to pay taxes and brokerage fees, i pay those fees prior to shipping. UPS works like this for me: i buy parts from the southern US, they ship it to washington, then to richmond, but it doesnt make it across the border for some reason, so they try again in ohio and go to calgary, and then to richmond vancouver. they try multiple times and that is why fees are thru the roof. where as other companies get it thru first time. and i dont pay canadian tax on american products, or at least i never have (and yes i pay close attention to every purchase order i make).

the reason i posted was because i wanted to see what you guys did for shipping, or if you had similar problems.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:51 PM

hey ried flemming, this seawings thing, tell me more about this please, im very interested. do i have USA parts stores ship to a place in washington and then they fly it over to vic and i pay them for the shipping from washington?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Car: 88 Iroc Vert/ 1980 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/ TH350
Axle/Gears: 2.73posi/ 3.08 Open
Originally Posted by pearl_iroc
Summit charges seperate for the shipping so they get an actual price and not just a set rate. You should see 2 charges on your credit card. I believe it says so on the site? Also Visa charges 2.5% extra for the US exchange.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Car: 1982 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt auburn posi 3.73
Add another person to the list of UPS haters.
I wish someone would open up a jegs/summit racing type store/warehouse in Canada. The best thing I've seen so far is probably mopac but I haven't ordered anything through them yet.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM

hey ried flemming thanks for the info it makes total sence and i was talkin to a friend last night and he told me it the same routine wen he orders stuff from the USA for is stang so basiclly 337 can is not to shabby even wit tax will be under 400 and for those of you who know peformance improvemts wanted 421 + tax and part source 500+ tax so i think i got a pretty good deal ohh and will speedy thanks4 the heads up on the visa exchange
Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Airpak
Add another person to the list of UPS haters.
I wish someone would open up a jegs/summit racing type store/warehouse in Canada. The best thing I've seen so far is probably mopac but I haven't ordered anything through them yet.
where are those guys located? alberta?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Gramps
hey Reid Flemming, this seawings thing, tell me more about this please, im very interested. do i have USA parts stores ship to a place in washington and then they fly it over to vic and i pay them for the shipping from washington?
Exactly.

Seawings' phone number is 250-656-3240. All it takes is for you to phone them up once and have them put your name and phone number in their system. They'll give you their full Washington state mailing address. From then on in, you just have your stuff mailed to

Your name
c/o Seawings
Seawings' washington address

They'll give you a phone call when your stuff arrives. You go to the airport and they give you a form with your data on it. Walk over to customs and pay the sales tax, take that form back to the Seawings booth and they give you your stuff.
Seawings doesn't care how much your stuff costs. They charge you based on weight. They ship the stuff from WA to BC by cargo truck. So you can ship pretty much anything. Set of tires, headers, 9" rear end, whatever.

Bring a paypal receipt or Summit receipt or whatever it is you bought from. Just makes it easier to verify that you're the person who ordered that item when you go to pick it up.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
where are those guys located? alberta?
The have stores in Edmonton and Calgary, but their main location and warehouse is in Langley.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Is there anyone like Seawings in Central Can or out East that you guys know of? Say you are living in Ontario, and you drive down to Buff N.Y, or Windsor/Detroit etc etc.
or if you live near Kingston Ont, say drive over the St.Lawrence to Ogdensburg N.Y? etc
This is turning into a very useful and informative thread

-Andrew
Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 PM

awesome reid, im gonna give them a call right away, so just to clarify...the name would look like this???

John Smith
c/o Seawings
123 fake st. Washington

PS:not a real name or address, what is c/o mean?
----------
Originally Posted by Apeiron
The have stores in Edmonton and Calgary, but their main location and warehouse is in Langley.
and can you buy directly from this place in langley?

Last edited by Gramps; 01-16-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 PM

Car: 91 GTA & 92 GTA & 92 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI & 350 TPI & 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 & 3.23 & 3.23
PS:not a real name or address, what is c/o mean?
----------

c/o = Care of
Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: Automatic Transmission
USPS is always your best option. A little slower but sometimes they will surprise you.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

You got it right Gramps.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 AM

great, imma give seawings a call tomoro morning.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Yes, they've got a retail counter in Langley.

Another option is to get performance parts through Lordco. Most stores (especially the larger ones) have someone more-or-less dedicated to handling performance parts. On most things they're pretty competitive with Summit once you factor in shipping, etc.

If Lordco doesn't have a part in stock, a lot of times I'll get them to call Mopac for it. If Mopac has it, Lordco will send a driver from the Langley store to pick it up, and they'll deliver it to my local store with their regular daily truckload from the coast so I don't have to pay for any shipping.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM

ya i use lordco almost daily, the company i work for is so big that they have an account there, but most of the time, performance parts have very little discounts there.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Car: 1991 Z-28
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Just gotta say it again..deals with all the major brands..has all the same stuff as Summit/jegs and almost same prices!!

Joseph @ http://ultimateperformancecar.ca is the summit racing of Canada! I got my hooker headers from him for cheaper than summit at the end of the day because there is no customs, brokerage fees and exchange rates to deal with.
I just emailed him with what I want, and got a email back with the price quote!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 PM

patrick i will check them out when they get their site up and running, they are currently updating it and its taking WEEKS...im anscious to see what they have.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 AM

Car: 1991 Z-28
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Your best bet is to email them with your request...theycarry just about everything..a list: http://ultimateperformancecar.com/Pr...facturers.html

Everytime I browse the net, I see something I want..shoot them a email with the url, and bingo they have it!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM

ya i use lordco almost daily, the company i work for is so big that they have an account there, but most of the time, performance parts have very little discounts there.
Don't use your company's account. You'll get a better discount on performance parts if you get your own account as an individual.

You don't even need an account if you go there often enough that the counterpeople start to recognize your face. They have considerable latitude in pricing. It helps if you try to deal with only one or two people there instead of just whoever happens to be free at the time.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM

ya i know a few guys but they dont use their powers to give me a discount. can you tell me more about how i set up my own account?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Just ask for an account application.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:43 PM

alright ill do it, i could really use a performance account there.

now for the seawings thing, i just setup an account there and all i have to do is make sure there is an invoice on the outside of the package and im set. thanks a lot reid.

PS: do you know a Geoff Gudavicius? played on prospect lake w/ u?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

now for the seawings thing, i just setup an account there and all i have to do is make sure there is an invoice on the outside of the package and im set. thanks a lot reid.

PS: do you know a Geoff Gudavicius? played on prospect lake w/ u?

I just print up the receipt on my computer at the time I purchase something. Summit's read out of what you bought etc. Or an email stating what you bought. Just anything really that shows you're the person who's supposed to be picking it up.

Can't say as I know Geoff.

Last edited by Reid Fleming; 01-18-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 PM

More and more suppliers are charging PST on out-of-province purchases. Some provinces have been taking legal action against suppliers who don't charge PST.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Apeiron
Just ask for an account application.

hey apeiron, what happens after i apply for the account? is it just a cash account (i get a certian discount) or what, how does it work?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:15 PM

Yeah, you'll probably want a cash account. You'll end up getting a discount on the kinds of parts you're interested in. Another nice thing is that having an account makes it easier to track parts you've bought in the past so that you can order them again.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:13 PM

awesome, i live a 5 mins walk from lordco (lucky me ), ill go set something up tomoro. thanx dude, btw hows it goin in SLAMIN' ARM?

and Reid, only reason i asked you about Geoff is because he used to play for with a Reid Fleming on a soccer team last year. and geoff is my brother. wher in canada are you located?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM

hey guys just got my hurst shifter in today from summit, thought id let u know how it went...........basically i payed 29.00 usd to summit for shipping 0 in duty and the pst and gst and handeling (5.00) at the post office when it arrived, so the grand total was 381.60 cad which was i think is a pretty sweet deal considering it arrived in 11 business day and performance imporvements wanted 425 and parts source wanted 500 so im very happy with it.........plus summit sent me a hat, catalouges and sum stickers lol so thats like 5hp for each sticker... ohh bye the way the shipped it via air mail priority

Last edited by pearl_iroc; 01-23-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn
Sweet.............FYI...........Performance Improvements is probably one of the most expensive speed shops on Toronto. You could try either Karbelt (Pickering) or Bolt-On (Bolton). I know they cna be flexible on their phone quotes if pressed.....never hurts to ask.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 AM

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks P.I. can be pricy at times - sucks, because I would rather spend my money up here, than across the boarder. IMO, we don't have nearly the quantaty or quality of support that our US friends have.... especially in the large urban centres like the GTA for example.(as a whole... not just local shops, but large scale like the Jegs's and Summit's etc...)
-Andrew
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 PM

hey thanks for the info i never heard of Karbelt or Bolt-On I'll check em out sumtime, and yea i know P.I is pretty expensive I've had alot of experiences with them and usually if there not given me 4 different prices on the same product..there trying to sell me stuff i dont need or higher quality for my application(for example i once went there to get a quote on sum headers and y pipe that are reasonable in price for a stock 350, the guy tried telling me to buy ceramic hedman headers for 1200 ...i then asked him if they had nething wen more suitable for my applicatiion (cheaper) he seemed insulted lol ..........or when i bought my h4 conversions i wanted the euro headlights they told me they only have 2 in stock and there different but they have the hella conversion ..2x the price in stock so i bought em the next day i decided id do the hi beams so i went back talked to another guy ......an guess wut the had the euros in stock and lots of em an there was dust in the boxes so theyd been there for a while ) ohhh and they love wen u mention summit lol

Last edited by pearl_iroc; 01-24-2007 at 09:07 PM.