Canadian Region Take off to the Great White North.

Got new wheels!! - Big thanks to Carcone's.... (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006 | 06:37 PM

Got new wheels!! - Big thanks to Carcone's.... (56k warning)

Last week, myself and a few other members from an Fbody Forum I'm a member of, were invited to Carcone's for a tour of the facility. We all had a good time and I'm sure I speak for everyone who went, when I say that they Carcone's does top notch work with their wheel re-finishing. They have a very nice clean facility, a friendly staff knoledgable staff and have refinish their wheels with the best high-end machinery.

I was very impressed and knew right there and then I was going to take the wheels off my IROC to them.

On Monday after I got home from work, I put the car on jack stands and took off the wheels. I knew they were in rough shape before I had taken them off, but it wasn't untill I actually had all 4 laying flat in front of me did I realise just how bad they really were. Honestly, I started having second thoughts about spending money to refinish these wheels as they were is such poor shape. I actually started wondering whether or not Carcone's (as good as they are) could actually repair these wheels.

There were DEEP gouge's all over them. The paint was faded and heavily stained with lord knows what. The outside lip on some of them was all chewed up (most likely from changing tires with a crappy tire remover) and all the wheels had really bad corrosion all over them.

I decided to give it a shot and take them Carcon's and hope for the best. Dropped them off first thing Tuesday morning and picked them up Friday. They were ready for Thursday but I never had the time to get them.

When I went to pick them up, Ron took me out back to see them. They were all lined up and with face's covered in protective sheets to prevent scratch's. I wripped the protective wrap off one of the wheels like a kid opening presents on Christmas morning, I was so excited....

All I could say was "WOW" I couldn't believe these were the same wheels that I gave them 3 days before. (I still have my doubts :P )

These things are essientially brand new wheels. They look absolutely amazing and the gun-metal grey I asked them to paint the inserts with, came out better than I could have imagined. They really bring out the machined spokes like never before. This shade of paint actually get's lighter/darker depending on the angle you look at them from. :shock:

These things looked so good, I kinda felt bad I had to put them back on the car They even through in new air caps which match the colour combination perfectly. Good stuff.

Well, I just finished mounting them back on the IROC and man, they make a night and day difference in the appearance of the car.

All in all, I give Carcones two BIG thumbs up! Those guy's are amazing and I highly reccomend them to anyone thinking about refinishing their wheels. For the measly price of $375 (club member pricing) , for basically a brand new set of wheels, you can't go wrong. They even mounted and balanced on 4 tires and installed the wheel weights on the INSIDE of the wheels like they're supposed to be (unlike they came from the factory, with the weights on the outside of the wheels looking ugly as sin )

Sorry about the dark pic's but the whether this weekend kinda sucked 'cause it was cloudy.

What do you guy's think?

BEFORE+AFTER

I'll wait till the weather gets better outside, I'll have to Armor All the tires to giv 'em a nice shine to match the wheels and then take some pics with the wheels on the car. Stay tuned...

Big thanks again, to Carcones !!!

Last edited by LT1FUN; 08-27-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2006 | 06:38 PM

SOME MORE ...

Old 08-27-2006 | 06:39 PM

... and a couple more shot's of the final wheels ...

Old 08-27-2006 | 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: sold
all i can say is o my goodness. i will surely send my wheels to them when i do deside to do it
Old 08-27-2006 | 07:08 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 346 LS6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Hybrid 8.8 3.73
ya.. carcones does a real go job on wheels. I think its a 100 a wheel to polish and re clearcoat. For sure they are the guys to go see when your wheels need renewing.

Speed
Old 10-12-2006 | 12:05 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: V6
Transmission: Automatic
Those look better than brand new. I can't believe those are the same wheels. And the price sounds like a steal. Mind if I ask where they are located?
Old 10-12-2006 | 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Poject '86
Those look better than brand new. I can't believe those are the same wheels. And the price sounds like a steal. Mind if I ask where they are located?
Here are the directions: Welcome to Carcone's Auto Recycling

Unfortunately, I have to go back sometime in the next few days if I have the chance because a small crack in the clear-coat of the front, passenger side wheel developed. I contacted Carcones and they told me to bring the wheel over and they'd fit it under warrenty. No questions asked.

I don't know how it could have happened, as all the other wheels are still perfect, but this one wheel, has this crack developing so I have to get if fixed.

It won't cost me anything of coarse, but I'll have to find a spare wheel/tire to replace my wheel over the next 2 days unil it's been fixed.

I'm not worried though. The guy's at Carcones stand behind their work.
Old 10-19-2006 | 12:36 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt, 2.73
Those are some sharp looking wheels! And a nice price, to boot.

I was reading an old post of another member who mentioned re-hooping a set of factory wheels. I've tried to follow up with him, but no word back. Have you heard anything about that, in your touring or talks with the wheel refinishing company? I'd rather spend a few hundred per wheel and have them refinished & enlarged, than buy an aftermarket set.
Old 10-19-2006 | 12:47 AM

Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: LB9 V8 305-cid
Transmission: 4 speed automatic - 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock - 2.73 rear end
Amazing!!!!

He does an amazing job on your wheels!!!! I just wish he was closed to me here in California! And the gunmetal grey is a color you picked is what I would want my rims painted too!
Old 10-29-2006 | 07:28 AM

Car: 1985 WS6 T/A
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9bolt 3:27
Man, those wheels look amazing!!!! My '85 T/A wheels have some corrosion after sitting in storage for the last 12 years, and I was looking for a place to "fix them" for a while now. Thanks for sharing the info. I'll definately be taking them to Carcone's after looking at those pics you posted!!!
Old 12-17-2006 | 06:56 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn
They are just north of Toronto.............located in Aurora........1-800-263-2022..........they also ship.......