Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Piece ID. Fell off when I removed the drum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 305
Piece ID. Fell off when I removed the drum.

I was hearing some grinding from my rear right wheel and thought it was the pads. When I pulled the drum this fell off and I have no idea what it is or where it is supposed to go. The second pic shows my setup and I'm holding a spring that did not seem to be attached to anything. This is my first time dealing with drum brakes. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Piece ID. Fell off when I removed the drum.

That used to be the parking brake link.

It's destroyed now though; you need a new one. (or at least, an other one)

The spring goes (went) on one end of it.

All of that stuff used to be across the top of the assy, kinda behind the axle flange and below the slave cyl. It went between the rear (left, in that pic, which is of the right rear brake I hope) shoe and the parking brake link that's not visible in the pic because the axle flange is in the way.

Also looks like the entire self-adjuster assy is missing. Should go across the bottom of the pic between the shoes, and that little L-shaped thing should go against it. Looks kinda like a star wheel and a threaded rod and another piece. Might wanna look at the left side of your car and see if it's there on that side, or if the PO sodomized that side too.

All of those pieces except for the parking brake link come in one of the "hardware kits" you get at the parts store. NBD except ya gotta come up with the link. Which shouldn't be too hard, lots of vehicles had the same dumb brakes our cars did. I'd look at old S trucks in the junkyards first. A & G bodies also, but S trucks are more likely to be more common.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 305

Thank you! Looks like I have some parts to find. Since it's just the parking brake would I be fine throwing my wheel back on to go pick stuff up?
Originally Posted by sofakingdom
That used to be the parking brake link.

It's destroyed now though; you need a new one. (or at least, an other one)

The spring goes (went) on one end of it.

All of that stuff used to be across the top of the assy, kinda behind the axle flange and below the slave cyl. It went between the rear (left, in that pic, which is of the right rear brake I hope) shoe and the parking brake link that's not visible in the pic because the axle flange is in the way.

Also looks like the entire self-adjuster assy is missing. Should go across the bottom of the pic between the shoes, and that little L-shaped thing should go against it. Looks kinda like a star wheel and a threaded rod and another piece. Might wanna look at the left side of your car and see if it's there on that side, or if the PO sodomized that side too.

All of those pieces except for the parking brake link come in one of the "hardware kits" you get at the parts store. NBD except ya gotta come up with the link. Which shouldn't be too hard, lots of vehicles had the same dumb brakes our cars did. I'd look at old S trucks in the junkyards first. A & G bodies also, but S trucks are more likely to be more common.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I wouldn't unless I had absolutely no other options. If there's any one part of a car that keeps myself and my passengers and everybody else anywhere near me alive, it's brakes. Can't think of much worse than going through the rest of life knowing that someone died because I was too lazy or cheeeeeeep to keep my brakes working right.

I'd get a ride from a friend or hitchhike or something.

Kinda looks like it needs an axle and bearing and seal too.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: Built 355 to install
Transmission: Built turbo 350

WOW !

After forty years in the auto biz, I've never removed a drum and found a adjuster totally left out. Some people should be banned from ever touch'n tools.....
Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Actually, I studied the pic a bit more: I think the adjuster is in there, it's just that the schmutz from the rear end grease leak has entombed it in about a half-inch of funk.

But yes I agree: whoever worked on those brakes last should have their tool-touching license revoked.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

titan, this thread has a good picture along with drawings of the rear drum assembly:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...um-brakes.html

RBob.