Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

C5 Brake Upgrade w/ C6 Wheel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' IROC Camaro
Engine: 350 HO
Transmission: TH350 Turbo
Axle/Gears: Moser / 3.73
C5 Brake Upgrade w/ C6 Wheel Problems

Hello Guys ive got somethings running on my mind about the set up i have heres some background info.

17x8.5 Front C6 and 18x10 Rear C6 Wheels

On the Brake upgrade i went with C5 from Luke Skaffs site

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=329

So ive cut my rotors down to just a hub and made the spindle cuts aswell, i havnt yet made the caliper bracket.

I plan on running C5 Z06 Calipers

my problem is once i put the C5 rotor on the hub then try and put my spacer on it seems like my Hubcentric spacers become Lugcenteric since theres no room left on the hub for them to mount themselfs on. I plan on racing this car and hitting up into the 9 second range, the last thing i want to worry about is a wheel passing me.

The hubs that i had turned are now cracked, i spoke with the auto parts store and was informed that aftermarket studs are of a larger diameter then OEMs and they are made that way because normaly they are made to go into a hole where a stud has already been. Since my hubs were new cause i followed directions the larger studs cracked my hub. So i have a NEW set of hubs uncut and a new set of C5 rotors. The hubs i have are factory style and not the 1LE HDs like skaff used.

So before i cut the rotors id like to figure out whats wrong or what other options i have so if i have to return either set i can, i dont know much about the 1LE HDs or if they would give me the 2"s of space i need to fit the rims?

I have a build page in " Members Camaros " just search for my name as the topic if you need more info or want to see pictures of the rims im using.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Re: C5 Brake Upgrade w/ C6 Wheel Problems

Originally Posted by Flat Black Camaro
my problem is once i put the C5 rotor on the hub then try and put my spacer on it seems like my Hubcentric spacers become Lugcenteric since theres no room left on the hub for them to mount themselfs on.
This is common when using OEM rotors as hubs. The hub-centric length is short and gets covered when you slip the rotor on. The aluminum hubs I use in my kits are hub centric full length and do not have this issue. Really though, I wouldn't worry about it. Hub centricity does nothing for you except make it easier to install the wheels. The friction created by the clamp up of the lugs and studs is what holds the wheel on, not the hub snout.

The hubs that i had turned are now cracked, i spoke with the auto parts store and was informed that aftermarket studs are of a larger diameter then OEMs and they are made that way because normaly they are made to go into a hole where a stud has already been. Since my hubs were new cause i followed directions the larger studs cracked my hub. So i have a NEW set of hubs uncut and a new set of C5 rotors. The hubs i have are factory style and not the 1LE HDs like skaff used.

So before i cut the rotors id like to figure out whats wrong or what other options i have so if i have to return either set i can, i dont know much about the 1LE HDs or if they would give me the 2"s of space i need to fit the rims?
This seems to also be common and is another reason why I never use an OEM rotor cut down to a hub.

One possible solution would be to ream the hole to size before installing the studs. This would eliminate the possibility that the holes are too small. When you buy the studs, it should tell you what size hole they need. but that size reamer. 0.509" is common. If that is the size of your required hole, McMaster Carr part number 2777A51 would be the correct reamer.

John
Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' IROC Camaro
Engine: 350 HO
Transmission: TH350 Turbo
Axle/Gears: Moser / 3.73

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
The aluminum hubs I use in my kits are hub centric full length and do not have this issue.
John
I was not aware you could buy hubs i thought all hubs had to be made?
What hubs are you using and how much do they run? If they were Hubcentric all the way id have peace of mind at least.

When i bought the studs they came in a clear individual wrapper with just the PN and size on them, i figured when buying studs id get ... Oh you know... THE SAME STUDS lol. I didnt think twice that they could be oversized. I paid for the lesson i learned nearly 140$ LOL but cant go back so o well.

Do they offer a hub to make up for the 2"s that i need??
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

I was not aware you could buy hubs i thought all hubs had to be made?
What hubs are you using and how much do they run? If they were Hubcentric all the way id have peace of mind at least.

When i bought the studs they came in a clear individual wrapper with just the PN and size on them, i figured when buying studs id get ... Oh you know... THE SAME STUDS lol. I didnt think twice that they could be oversized. I paid for the lesson i learned nearly 140$ LOL but cant go back so o well.

Do they offer a hub to make up for the 2"s that i need??
The hubs I used are pictured below. They are made by Kore3. Custom offsets are available but I doubt 2" is feasible.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Since my hubs were new cause i followed directions the larger studs cracked my hub.
...What? You said you have hubs that you cut down from rotors and then you say you have hubs that never had studs in them? Which is it? What studs were you using? I have no part numbers in front of me but the studs I found (normal dorman parts store stuff) for my original brake swap years ago had a knurl the same size as factory and have held up for close to ten years of hardcore abuse. Sounds like the parts guy is trying to explain away the breakage.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by iansane
...What? You said you have hubs that you cut down from rotors and then you say you have hubs that never had studs in them? Which is it? What studs were you using? I have no part numbers in front of me but the studs I found (normal dorman parts store stuff) for my original brake swap years ago had a knurl the same size as factory and have held up for close to ten years of hardcore abuse. Sounds like the parts guy is trying to explain away the breakage.
Ian,

It is crazy, but this is actually far from the first time I have heard of this problem. Guy buys OEM rotors, removes studs, cuts down rotor into a hub, installs new longer studs, and during installation the hub cracks. It has to be either wrong knurl size or really bad metallurgy.

John
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Axle/Gears: 3.23

That's crazy. I can't fathom that happening unless the knurled section is huge. I mean, I'm not going to call the guy a liar or anything but I banged out the factory studs with ball peen hammer and I'm pretty sure I put the new ones in with the same hammer. (I did some stupid stuff when I was 18...) To top it off, I had them machined first and they're waaaay too small. Something like 5.65" diameter? But at the very least I measured the new studs vs the old studs vs the hole they were going in to. Sorry OP, we've all been inattentive to projects details at some point.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI w/LT1 cam
Transmission: T5 swapped in
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27 w/discs

Better quality rotor? I could see a good GM rotor holding up while a China version cracks.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gearheadotaku
Better quality rotor? I could see a good GM rotor holding up while a China version cracks.
You are suggesting GM rotors are not made in China?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I bought my c5 kit from ebmiller flye n bye on this site. I run skulte 1.7" spacers and 18" c6 wheels. Been 9 seconds 140+ mph, no issues here.
Just fyi
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI w/LT1 cam
Transmission: T5 swapped in
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27 w/discs

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
You are suggesting GM rotors are not made in China?

My thought was a new aftermarket rotor may be Chinese, while on old, OEM rotor from the 80's is most likely USA or Canada.