Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Whats the diffrence in Drag Racing Rotors and Normal Slotted/Drilled Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' IROC Camaro
Engine: 350 HO
Transmission: TH350 Turbo
Axle/Gears: Moser / 3.73
Whats the diffrence in Drag Racing Rotors and Normal Slotted/Drilled Rotors?

Ill start off with yes i have looked, ive googled and all ive found were composition diffrences. is the only real diffrence is what they are made of?

i know that the heavier the rotor and the slots help you brake faster and gets rid of debris , but the drilled helps rid the rotor of water.

but when i look at the drag race rotors they look thin? wouldnt that slow down your stop time and lenghten the distance?

Are they better then regular rotors ( Baer,Wilwood,SSBC,ect.)?
i guess im looking for a Pros/Cons of the diffrence because i plan on rebuilding my suspension.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Re: Whats the diffrence in Drag Racing Rotors and Normal Slotted/Drilled Rotors?

Originally Posted by Flat Black Camaro
Ill start off with yes i have looked, ive googled and all ive found were composition diffrences. is the only real diffrence is what they are made of?

i know that the heavier the rotor and the slots help you brake faster and gets rid of debris , but the drilled helps rid the rotor of water.

but when i look at the drag race rotors they look thin? wouldnt that slow down your stop time and lenghten the distance?

Are they better then regular rotors ( Baer,Wilwood,SSBC,ect.)?
i guess im looking for a Pros/Cons of the diffrence because i plan on rebuilding my suspension.
Simply put, drag racing brakes are designed to be as light weight as possible while still being able to stop the car one time.

They are completely ill suited for the street or a road course. The problem is the rotors are extremely thin which causes them to heat up much more quickly than a standard rotor. So they are much easier to overheat. Same with the calipers and pads.

They will be worse than the awful OEM 10.5" brakes.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' IROC Camaro
Engine: 350 HO
Transmission: TH350 Turbo
Axle/Gears: Moser / 3.73
Re: Whats the diffrence in Drag Racing Rotors and Normal Slotted/Drilled Rotors?

Thank You!

i plan on buying new rotors and calipers front and rear and they were on Sphons site while i was searching, and for the life of me i couldnt find a answer. so thanks for summing it up for me.