Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

One dragging drum but won't hold on e-brake!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L 191ci
Transmission: 700R4
One dragging drum but won't hold on e-brake!

Guy's I've looked for a answer in the threads and can't find anything so here goes.

91 Firebird 3.1 front discs, rear drums.

I've replaced my rear drum brake shoes, springs etc and also the e-brake cables also.

The problem I have is on the drivers side (left) the drum is getting hot whilst driving (dragging) but the other side is fine. But then I can only just hold the car on the e-brake in drive on the flat. If I park in neutral on a slight hill up or down it won't hold!

The actual e-brake handle feels really firm and good and the car stops as per normal via the foot brake. The only things I've noticed is that the new park brake has a spring (the bit that goes in the drum and attaches to the lever) that is 2" longer than the one I've taken off although the actual overall length is the same. Also when I put the drums back on the left one was a tight fit over the shoes whilst the right went on similar to how it came off with the old shoes. Could this be causing the left brake to bind?

Is there something I've missed? The Haynes dosn't show how to replace the e-brake so I've had to wing it basically.

I can't reply to any answers guy's tonight as it's late here and I got work, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

All the best, speed.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Re: One dragging drum but won't hold on e-brake!

Ok to update,

After checking both drum shoe internals I decided to try putting the old cables back on to see if they were the problem. As I pulled the aduster out to reattach both cables I heard one of those snaps that sound terminal coming from inside the car.

After removing the center console I found that the spring had come off the ratchet adjuster (PHEW!)

I've reinstalled this, but the car still drags the left rear wheel with the brake off, and the right although spinning free still won't hold with the hand brake on!!

This is doing my head in!

Attached Thumbnails One dragging drum but won't hold on e-brake!-photo042.jpg   One dragging drum but won't hold on e-brake!-photo043.jpg  

Last edited by UK Speedbird; 08-21-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Re: One dragging drum but won't hold on e-brake!

Wow, tough crowd
The following users liked this post:
Mike Matthews (09-13-2020)