Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Wilwood brake choices/opinions?! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro rs 305/auto, hardtop
Engine: BUILT LQ9
Transmission: 6speed
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt moser
Wilwood brake choices/opinions?! HELP!

Hey guys, before anyone chews my head off, I did do a search, and I didn't really find any straight answers, and also, I only use this site on my phone so it's hard to go really on depth into searches.

I have a 1991 camaro, I swapped in a full new drive system and suspension setup. I currently have a 12 bolt moser rear end, set up for ls style brakes I was told, koni full adjustable shocks/struts, subframe connectors, everything is all adjustable. The only thing I have left to complete the project are brakes!? I have a set of 18" + 19" corvette c6 wheels so clearances isn't an issue, and I'm gonna be using it on the street mostly, but it will see track times.

So now to my question, has anyone ran this setup before that could give me advice on which brakes to go with? I want to go with wilwoods all around, but where I have an aftermarket rear end I don't know if it's the same as the ls style rear or ...? And with the fronts, wilwood has a 13" kit for a lt1 style 4th gen, what would I need to do to make these adapt to my car?

Any Info or advice would be greatly appreciated, the summer is almost gone and I want to drive this thing!!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM

Re: Wilwood brake choices/opinions?! HELP!

Anyone?????
Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56

For the fronts, your easiest option would be to buy Ed's 13" Wilwood kit. This is for 13.0"x1.1" C4 HD rotors or 12.75"x1.25" C5 rotors with the Wilwood FSL calipers.
http://flynbye.com/catalog/i18.html

For the LT1 style front Wilwoods, I have not seen these. But if they are designed to work on a stock LT1 car, you would have to first adapt your car to accept LT1 brakes. I am not sure if someone offers a bracket for this. Best to check with Ed. The wilwood page is not loading for me today. Do you have a link to this kit?

As for the rears, I guess you first need to find out what your rear is designed for. If it is patterned after the LS cars, I would expect any LS based kit to work.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Sorry, I was mistaken, the 13" wilwood kit was for an ls1 not and lt1 style. Sorry for the confusion. I looked over eds kit, but i thought his website said he isn't taking any more orders?
I found a 11" stock replacement kit I'm guessing on summit.
The link is :
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-11012-D

Would that kit work ok? I'm going to be running upwards of 450hp.
The rear kit I found on summit is :

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-7148-D

What would that setup be like? I thought having bigger rotors in front would be better, but I can't seem to find any straight answers on the ls style brakes.

Some ls style wilwood kits are :

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-10787-D

This is the ls1 style kit I was talking about :

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-9830

Let me know what your opinion is. I need to get these ordered ASAP! Haha.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Also, the rear end I have is a 12 bolt moser rear, 3:90 gears with try trac. I was told it was set up for ls style brakes.. I bought it off a friend who was going to use it on his project, but he parted it out. His name on thirdgen is ace, if you've met him.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dreamcamaro91rs
Sorry, I was mistaken, the 13" wilwood kit was for an ls1 not and lt1 style. Sorry for the confusion. I looked over eds kit, but i thought his website said he isn't taking any more orders?
I found a 11" stock replacement kit I'm guessing on summit.
The link is :
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-11012-D

Would that kit work ok? I'm going to be running upwards of 450hp.
The rear kit I found on summit is :

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-7148-D

What would that setup be like? I thought having bigger rotors in front would be better, but I can't seem to find any straight answers on the ls style brakes.

Some ls style wilwood kits are :

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-10787-D

This is the ls1 style kit I was talking about :

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-9830

Let me know what your opinion is. I need to get these ordered ASAP! Haha.
Those front kits are a waste of time and money. They have weeny rotors and calipers. I would not consider them any better than stock. It is true that Ed is not currently taking orders. I am sure he will catch up some time.

Both rear kits you linked would be fine. The LS1 kit being far superior but either would work as far as performance goes. As far as fitment, there is no way we can determine that without seeing your axle. Do you have any pictures?

So what would I recommend for your fronts, seeing as how you need them now? Hard to say, I would probably go with any of the Baer track kits and up.

Finally what are you going to be doing with the car? When you say "track time" are you talking drag strip or road course?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 PM

I looked at the Baer setups, and to be honest, they're out of my price range. I've spent 24,000 bucks in this car since the snow left, I'm starting to get inpatient.. Lol. Is there anything that you'd recommend that would be a bit cheaper? I don't want the best of the best, just something that looks good, works good, and is affordable. Where I live, I only have about 2 months left of summer before snow hits again. I haven't drove the car all year yet! I put a new 355 sbc in it, t56, all new suspension, brakes are one of the last things I need to have it back on the pavement.

When I said track time, I don't know how much drag racing it will see, pretty much light-to-light here in town, but I plan to take it to a road course. That's what I wanted to build it for.

As for pics, I think I have some in my photo album, not sure, I think I posted some up there.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM

I have pics I can email, won't let me post on my phone
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dreamcamaro91rs
I looked at the Baer setups, and to be honest, they're out of my price range. I've spent 24,000 bucks in this car since the snow left, I'm starting to get inpatient.. Lol. Is there anything that you'd recommend that would be a bit cheaper? I don't want the best of the best, just something that looks good, works good, and is affordable. Where I live, I only have about 2 months left of summer before snow hits again. I haven't drove the car all year yet! I put a new 355 sbc in it, t56, all new suspension, brakes are one of the last things I need to have it back on the pavement.

When I said track time, I don't know how much drag racing it will see, pretty much light-to-light here in town, but I plan to take it to a road course. That's what I wanted to build it for.

As for pics, I think I have some in my photo album, not sure, I think I posted some up there.
I understand. Do you happen to still have the stock brakes. Frankly they will be fine until you get a better brake kit put together. That will allow you to drive this year. I really don't think brake kits are something you should rush into, especially with the amount of effort you obviously have already put into your car.

With that said, Kore3 is supposed to have really good customer service. Maybe they can get a kit out to you fast. I think a C5/C6 or C6 Z51 or C6 Z06 kit would work fine for what you are trying to do. They don't look quite as cool as the monoblock calipers found in the Wilwood and Baer kits, but they should get you stopping just fine.

http://www.kore3.com/products.php?cat=11

I like this kit the best for the money.
http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10106-04
Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 PM

Wow. I didn't even know about this site. Hmmm... I see. That kit you pointed out would probably work the best for me, but the questi
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM

Question of the day would be, can I get a matching set for the rear?

I have the stock front brakes on the car at the moment, but nothing for the rear. I have the drums on the old axle (yeah it was a rear drum car), but that won't work.

I don't want to slap something together, I want to do this right the first time, but I also want to drive it ASAP lol. This whole swap was a breeze up until this. Funny hey?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Supreme Member

I would call them and describe the mounting flange on your 12 bolt. They should know if your flange will work with one of their 10/12 bolt kits listed on the first link.