Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

83 rear disc axle lines ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 5 speed
83 rear disc axle lines ?

Here's my problem as most of you know the right rear has a flex line to the caliper and the left is a hard line to the caliper. So I ordered new axle lines from Rick's and they came hard lines to both calipers so now how do I connect the right side brake line to the caliper . Is there some kind of banjo union or adapter I can get so that the new hard line screws into like the right side.

I also have a problem with the left there is a square union that is held on with the banjo bolt that the brake line connects to, but the problem is that the new brake lines are (double) flare and the square union on the caliper takes a (bubble). Went to the local parts store to look for a adapter but no luck.
Kinda mad that I bought new axle lines that don't bolt right up I don't mind making something work,but when I order something atleast let me know you may need this or that.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 TA,69 camaro,81 vet 92 vet
Engine: 400
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Re: 83 rear disc axle lines ?

My 84 had same setup. I purchased a 6 inch steel line (already madeup and you can get longer) at auto parts store and bring old one with you to make sure ends are the same. Use your old line to copy bends in new line. Just but a 13/16 socket in a vice and use it to bend the new pipe around. Add a front flex brake hose from the new line to the caliper. I covered the brake hose with heater hose to protect it from wear and strapped it to axle. This was on my car for 15 years before I switch to C5 brakes. It makes replacing caliper easy. Be carefull taking the old line off the center tee. I heat the tee
(no more than 60 seconds) and through a cup of water on it. It will come apart easy. If it has never been off you may have to do it 2 times. Don't force it, break it and it could turn into a costly and time consuming job.