Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Rear Disc Brake Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Disc Brake Swap?

Howdy everyone, quick question. Forgive me as I tried searching but I'm not a Camaro guy, I have no idea 1LE or PBR means, but it appears to be similar to what I'm doing. I'm working on a 91 RS, I have the rotors, calipers and caliper brackets off of a WS6 supposedly.

This is what I have that I'm trying to put on my 91 car that had drum brakes:

Sorry about stealing one of your pictures EBMiller88, but it appeaers if I cut the top half of that mounting flange off, and then drill the top two holes for my stock WS6 brackets everything will bolt up and sit flush?

Now since I have all this stuff out and apart, I'm looking at doing a few other things as well. I will definitely be boxing the lower control arms. I'm still tossing around the idea of boxing the panhard bar or just fabricating a new one? However what I'm really curious about is will bracing or beefing up the torque arm do anything? Does this piece really flex that much? My goal is handling here.

Few pictures of the project that is underway:

Still going to make some sub frame connectors, and a strut tower brace. The 2.73 ratio is also going in favor of a 3.23 which is also getting a gear driven posi unit.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Rear Disc Brake Swap?

welcome to TGO

what it looks like you have there are the rear brakes off a 4th gen f-body or also called ls1 brakes. there is a tech article in the tech section that shows how to do the exact swap you are looking to do and has pictures. but yes pretty much what you do is cut of the top of the drum mounting flange right at the bottom of the big round hole and drill out the two small holes at the bottom and make 2 new ones at the top. you need top cut a small bit off the top corners to get everything to sit flush, but like i said its all outlined in the tech section. i did the swap myself and its not that bad, just make sure everything is aligned properly. you will need to get custom e-brake cables and none are currently available but edmiller is working on getting some made.

any question feel free to ask
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Sweet it looked like it would work, but I didn't want to cut anything until I was sure.

Thanks!

This is my Camaro, it has the factory five star deals, in the sticky above it seems to indicate these brakes won't fit in the wheels, is this one of the deals I can grind on the caliper some to clearance them so the wheels will fit?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

i believe they require a minimum 16" or 17" wheel. you cant grind out what you have. but its a good excuse to get some new wheels
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM

Ok on my lunch break I sat the caliper and the rotor in my factory 15" wheels, and the caliper just barely rubs the wheel, from what I can tell I think I had it roughly where it should have been.

So the game plan at the moment will be to grind the calipers and brackets as necessary to make them clear. Unless someone has actually tried to grind them and couldn't make it work speaks up?

I'll be taking pictures, so if it works I'll post my pictures and a writeup.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 PM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 95 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Weak 7.5 with 4.10s

There is a write up in the tech section. I think it has everything you need.
https://www.thirdgen.org/ls1reardisc
Old 06-02-2007, 09:28 PM

Well finally got the axle housing all cleaned up and such, 260,000 miles has definitely taken its toll on that thing. Also finished the LCA today too. I'll install the new gears tommorow, and hopefully start cutting the flanges to start the disc brake swap.... Hey its progress....
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Ok the axle is finally starting to look like something:

And the most important part, got the flanges cut, and got the bottom holes drilled on one side, and got it mocked up with my factory 15" wheels.

The caliper just barely, and I mean just barely rubs the wheel, looks like I'll need to take maybe a 1/16" out of a spot roughly 1" long on the caliper to get it to clear. Definitely good news, I had expected to need to grind more than that.

Last edited by OhioYJ; 06-04-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Fixed picture
Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 PM

Well this project is moving super slow at the moment, as I've done nothing but work for the past week, but I did get the new bushings in the control arms. Still have to box the panhard bar though:

Got the pinion bearing pressed the other day and a new crush sleeve, so the ring and pinion are almost ready to go back in.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Ok its almost done I think. Got the new ring and pinion in, got the brake brackets on, control arms done, panhard done, I'm just down to bolting things back together and running brake lines. For the moment I'm going to pull the o-ring out of the proportioning valve. I'll have pictures up tonight hopefully, and hopefully I'm driving it again too.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 AM

Ok its done!

I'll try and do a full writeup tomorrow, including modifying my factory proportioning valve to work with the disc brakes.

Took it on a test drive, and it locked up all 4-wheels at 40 MPH, which is pretty impressive I thought. The posi and 3.23 are a big improvement as well, and the poly bushings everywhere has definitely helped the handling. Now to tie the frame rails, and a strut tower brace.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23, G80, J65 disc

man thats a tight fit for those wheels, nice job on everything