Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

shifter heat

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifter heat

i posted this question in the trans section with no responce. i have a '91 RS with a manual trans and am getting alot of radient heat from the shifter boot area not hot air blowing just alot of heat . almost to the point of being uncomfortably hot in this area . I have looked and ther is no insulation under the shifter boot , should there be, and if not any ideas on lnsualting this area would regular houshold fiberglass insulation work or do any of you have a better idea? thank you David
Old 04-10-2002, 08:00 PM

I'm not exactly sure about a '91, but on 4th gen models they have a closed cell foam padding {the same type of stuff that is in the padding of your couch cushions} that sits between the transmission where the shifter bolts to it and the top of the trans tunnel where the shifter goes through the floor. I would think that may help your situation if you installed that. Just make sure you get some sturdy material or it will just rot away when it gets wet. Just an idea.......
Old 04-10-2002, 09:50 PM

I get a lot of heat there too. I always thought it was because I live in AZ, and I don't drive the camaro in the winter.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:09 PM

My console also heats up.... but it's due to the heating system. The ducting molded into the console (to the vents around where your knee would be) iin my car got destroyed, so hot air just gets dumped into the console and kinda builds up. Hope that helps