Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Another fun t-top leak question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1997 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Another fun t-top leak question

Has anyone ever had the actual t-top leak. I am convinced that it is a faulty top instaed of bad seals. After a good rain, i lifted the driver side top out and noticed the seals were dry everywhere, but i had about a gallon of water come from the top when i tilted it. So i went around and sealed all the gaps i could see. SO i took off the trim piece and drove around, it is still leaking through the top. Has anyone else had this happen? i guess i am off to buy new tops. The whole time i thought it was my new seals leaking. Well the leak over the passenger back seat is still a mystery, ha
Old 04-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Car: 1997 Z28
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I was just outside checking my seals, i am able to pull the seals all the way away from the body, and there is water in the channel like thing. Are the seals supposed to pull away from the body. It seems to me they should not?
Old 04-10-2002, 12:06 PM

Wit the back seats you might want to see if it is the hatch seal leaking. I had the mystery leak till I found it there.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:19 PM

Car: 92 Z28 Z03
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 G80
no your not suppose to pull the seals away from the body. That means the sealent has dried out. There is stuff you can get to put in between the seal and the body. I can't remember what the stuff is called though. Hopefully someone else will know the stuff that holds the seals together.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS
Transmission: TH350
I've heard it called Gorilla Snot before. What a name. Anyways, its actually called weather striping glue, go figure, any parts store will have it.

I would just use the black RTV silicone, any parts store will have it also.

As for the leak, I dont know about the actual T-Top leaking, but mabey its possible. On the sides is the only place that I can see leaking, but I have never had that problem. Check the Hatch hinges for leaks in the back. I would say the T bar is the culprit for the majority of leaky T-Tops. Check that area.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:10 PM

One of the things that they teach us in GM Common Training is how to find water leaks in vehicles. One of the best and easiest ways I've used to locate the source of a water leak was to take a squirt bottle, fill it 1/8 th the way with dish washing soap and 7/8ths water. Liberally spray the T-Top down with your soap solution. Then, from the inside of the car, take a air nozzle hooked to an air compressor and have someone blow at the seams of the weatherstriping with the airgun. Where the soap bubbles form is the location of your leak. Kinda like checking for a leak in a tire. Try it out, its saved me much time in locating water leaks. Hope it helps.....

Like the others say, check the hatch hinges and check where the T-Top hold down is screwed to the body. Water loves to find its way through those holes.

The weatherstripping is designed with a "run channel" built in for the water to have a place to go to easily get from the roof of the car. If these run channels get blocked or deformed the water will just pool up in the channel and is easier to sneak under a weatherstrip seal. Check that too...