Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Recalibrating Needles

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 06 Toyota Tundra SR5
Recalibrating Needles

How do you do this, I installed some white face gauges and some of them wont move, when I start up the car it jerks a couple of cm's but really doesnt move from there.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:30 PM

When I put mine in I had the same problems with my needles.

•One thing, make sure if you sprayed the 3M on the gauge make sure that one of the spray got on that little needle that holds the needle

•Make sure that the holes you cut in the overlay isnt touching the the little needle

•If all else fails get someone with with WinADL and a plug for your car and hook up to that. Then use the computer as your gauges and put your needles on.

I had to use my buddies computer to fix my guages, I had to drive then see how fast I was going, pull over, put the gauge on. Then drive to see if it matched whut the computer said. If not had to pull over again. Had to do this for the TACH too, the oil preasure and the volt and temp I did just in park.

This is one thing that isnt in the tech articles about the over lays. I have seen about 4 or 5 posts about the same problem. I think there is some sort of load on the spring that is in the gauge and when you take the needle off it loses that load. I put my needles back on EXACTLY where I took them off and it was all messed up. Took off my tach needed and it was right on the 0 put it back on the 0 started my car to see the tach read 900 rpms. Shut it off and the tach would drop down to 200. Speed same thing put it on at 0 and the gauge said I was doing 20 miles and hour faster then I was.
If you need help with the WINADL or the plug I know for sure JPrevost can help you or JIM86Bird.

Hope it all works out for you.

Pork
Old 04-06-2002, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 camaro Z28
Engine: 434sbc
Transmission: powerglide
Axle/Gears: moser 9" with 411 posi
i just put white faced guages on my sisters integra. everything worked but the speedo. the problem was that i pushed to hard on the needle. try pulling the needle up just alittle. i don't know if this will work on your car. i worked my sisters. hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:32 AM

Car: 06 Toyota Tundra SR5
Alright I got all my gauges calibrated except the speedometer. How did you calibrate the speedo? Borrow a friends labtop and hook up that program? I know where I can get one but I wont be able to get it for another week, so...how else would I calibrate it? Go up to a cop and ask him to scan u and tell you how fast u were going hehe?
Old 04-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Originally posted by BuddyLeeX
Alright I got all my gauges calibrated except the speedometer. How did you calibrate the speedo? Borrow a friends labtop and hook up that program? I know where I can get one but I wont be able to get it for another week, so...how else would I calibrate it? Go up to a cop and ask him to scan u and tell you how fast u were going hehe?
When I put gauges in my 92 RS, I just put the needles on. Then went to the gas station and filled up to see if the gas was working, the tach seemed normal, as did temp and voltage. In my area, they have these radar things they set up on the side of the road. Its a big sign that says the speed limit and it clocks you and displays your speed. So to check the speedo, I just drove by one of those and compared the reading to my speedo. Now on my IROC, the damn speedo isn't even working.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:57 PM

•If all else fails get someone with with WinADL and a plug for your car and hook up to that. Then use the computer as your gauges and put your needles on.
What is WinADL? Is it a program for a laptop that calibrates
guages?? Where do I get WinADL and how does it work?
Old 04-07-2002, 03:50 PM

There is a site up here some where in the TBI board about it. You used it to see exactly whut your car is doing, fuel, air, 02, temp etc etc. You used for buringing chips and stuff.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:52 PM

i asked a cop to clock me, since he was running radar...
mine was dead on

later
chris