Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need help with seats....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with seats....

Ok, I posted somthing to this effect a while back. But not I really need to get it done, and because none of the responses I got were really all that helpful, I figured I'd try again.

Allright, I had gone out and gotten a set of 4th Gen seats for my Z28, and when I brought um home and slapped um in, I just happened to tourque the drivers side seat bolt into 2 peices, so now I have a stub... and a nut with part of a bolt in it. I can't see any way in holy hell to get to the head of the bolt seeing as how its inserted from the bottom up and that they've welded the peice of metal that it's screwed into right onto the floor pannel.
The only thing I had figured was that I drill it out... then cut a strip out of the metal housing thats bolted to the floor until I get to where the bolt WAS and then slide a new bolt in through the hole the cut out strip left behind and proceed to tighten it down until it clamped on the rest of the metal that was around the hole. The only question I have on this is, will the strength of the metal then be comprimised? Well, hopefully someone can help me out here, cause I really need it

Adam
Old 03-16-2002, 10:49 PM

Just a thought, use a long bolt and go all the way through! Bummer problem! Good luck!
Old 03-17-2002, 10:05 PM

I'm not sure what you mean... explain.

Adam
Old 03-17-2002, 11:40 PM

Drill out the stub and drill all the way through the floor pan so you can run a long bolt to re-connect it! Look under the car so you don't drill through somthing important!
Old 03-17-2002, 11:51 PM

Here's what I'd do --- Drill out the old bolt, then put the new nut where the old bolt head was (& the bolt head where the old nut was). This would be a WHOLE lot easier if you can find someone to tack weld the nut in place. Maybe you can use some JB Weld or Epoxy to hold the nut in place. If its not secured real well (however) you may end up having to cut the bolt if you ever have to take out the seat again. (Of course, the new bolt will have to be the correct length). This idea will work.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:19 AM

Hmmm, I'm getting new Ideas now Thanx you guys, keep um comin if you can think of any new ones! (Just in case there is some easy way to do it that none of us have though of yet.)

ThanX!

Adam
Old 03-18-2002, 06:03 PM

Bumping it to the top again to see if anyone has any other ideas.... if not, then I guesse I'll just have to imrpovise and use the ideas I've got so far and see how they turn out.

Adam
Old 03-18-2002, 07:45 PM

Hello.

There is no way you can make a slit (with a dremmel) on the top of the stud (the remaining od the bolt) and use a screwdriver to take out the broken bolt?

Good Luck
Old 03-18-2002, 09:16 PM

Yeah, I suppose I could.... Hmmmm, actually, that brings up a good point, if the bolt/stud can be un-screwed out of the area in which it sits, then why couldn't I screw in a new bolt in the same area? However, how do I get the old un-screwed bolt out from under the weld? Just a question, gotta get it out to... But I like the idea so far.

Adam
Old 03-19-2002, 09:43 PM

I would guess that the bolt was welded in place and that you're not gonna be able to "unscrew it" with a screwdriver.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:43 AM

what if u drilled it and put a small self tapping screw in it then turn it untill it turns the stud out on the other side it would worke somewhat like a easy out but from the other side well its just a thought i just got off work and am pretty tired so if it sound dumb sorry have a good one
Old 03-20-2002, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
the same thing happened in my elcamino when i first got it. all i did was took an angle grinder and ground off the broken bolt on the floor pan level with the floor. then took a drill the same size as the new bolt put the seat in and tightened everything down and had my buddy weld the bolt on the underside to the floor pan for the added strength. worked like a charm. all in all if u have a welder ready about a 30min fix