Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Best car cover to protect beautiful new paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best car cover to protect beautiful new paint?

I really want to get a car cover for my car (it's in the shop getting a total repaint right now) to protect the paint. Does anyone have any that they have and would recommend? Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you put the cover on and take it off every day, would that wear down the paint, like on the corners where there is a lot of contact? I imagine that anything rubbing the paint would wear it down, but I'm just wondering how fast a car cover would wear it down.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:33 AM

Get a garage I own a Kimberly-Clark NOAH myself. IMO one of the best on the market. One of the most expensive to buy. I use my cover every day on my Bird at work. Been using it for about 6 months now and no probs. Sort of hard getting it up and over my new 4th gen wing though I also thought my 4th gen RAII hood would be a problem, but theres plenty of room for that.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
When I got my car painted, hey told me to leave the cover off so the paint can breathe and cure correctly. If you're worried about it getting dirty, I just hosed the car off (no soap) and wiped it with paper towels. I used my finger or wet paper towel for anything stubborn, like bird crap. Paint still looks great since early December.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:24 PM

I'm mainly worried about the sun being on the car all day.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:32 PM

You don't have to worry about UV rays if your painter uses a quality paint. My Z28 was painted May/2000 with PPG's Deltron 2000 basecoat/clearcoat system and it still looks like it was painted yesterday! The car has been parked outside ever since.

Most paint manufactures now add UV protectant to their paints since the hole in the ozone layer isn't getting better! If you want a little extra protection you could get some extra coats of clear.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

i have a noah cover as well, definately great quality.

as far as the sun, you want to let the car get exposed to the sun when it's done being painted, not only will this cure the paint faster....but, any imperfections will show up quicker as apposed to throwing it into a garage for a week or two. the biggest problem, is people try to hard and do things that can make problems. just keep it clean, in otherwords don't drive it down dirt roads and try not to wash it or use any kind of wax. the main point in this is so not to rub to hard as the bottom layers are still wet at times.

mike, i can't believe you would let a paper towel touch your car......especially with a new paint job. that's insane, but to each his own i guess.