Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Please!!! Help Me Fix My Speedo Cable!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: Auto
Please!!! Help Me Fix My Speedo Cable!

How do i get to my speedo cable behind the speedometer. I think mine fell off. If it broke, how to i change it?? I really need to know how to do this, i just got a damn ticket today!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2002, 01:03 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to remove the gauge cluster. Start by removing the 8 T-20 Torx screws from the gauge bezel. Then remove the 4 7mm screws under the dash (to remove the hush panel). There's two nuts holding up the steering column. Loosen those and spin them down to the end of the studs and let the column hang down and rest on those. This will give you enough room to pull the cluster out and reach behind it if you have large arms. Before you pull the cluster out though, you have to remove the two stamped speednuts at the bottom of the cluster. Look for them down inside where the bulbs for the idiot lights are. Pull the cluster out and reach behind the speedometer. You'll feel the cable where it goes into the cluster, and right at the base is a spring-loaded clip. Press the tab on the clip flat to release the cable.

Then go under the car and unscrew the cable from the transmission. Follow the cable up towards the front of the car. There should be two 10mm screws with clamps holding the cable to the framerail. Then you pull the whole mess out and put in the new one.