Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone had any troubles with the B&M Console Megashifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had any troubles with the B&M Console Megashifter?

I'm thinkin about goin out and pickin up a B&M Console Megashifter, I wanna know what kinda problems I might run into, if any, while installing it into my '84 Z28. I got the TH700R4 Automatic with O/D, what kinda MOD's am I gonna have ta do if any, and is there a good place to get one for a reasonable price? Oh yeah! And, do any of you guys got pics of them installed and how do ya like um if ya do?

Adam
Old 01-23-2002, 06:37 PM

I LOVE mine. common probs: the shifter cable is too long, make sure you route it around the tranny the way it is in the directions... if you CAN try and use the stock cable it'll work even better. Other thing is put Loc tite on the threads of the shifter handle, sometimes it can come loose.

Make sure to follow the directions to the tee, and take your time. It took me about 3 hours to install mine start-finish.

Garett
Old 01-23-2002, 07:06 PM

same here... i love mine and it wasn't that hard at all to install... you might wanna take the console off to give you some more room. I didnt when i did mine and had fun grabbing the bolts/screws that happened to fall inside (PITA when that happens)
Old 01-24-2002, 12:17 AM

Cool I can't wait to get it! Does it replace any other stuff? Like do I have to cut out the console plastic or anything? Any of you guys got pix of it installed?

Adam
Old 01-24-2002, 07:04 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I hated it.
1. Cable was way too long.
2. Cable sheath was broken in multiple spots from day 1
3. needed to cut up the console.
4. Didn't include a plug to integrate into the factory harness
5. handle never stayed tight
6. Whole console lifted when downshifting
7. Why couldn't it use the stock cable & trans bracket?
8. Doesn't include the relays the instructions say you need.
9. Rubber boot doesn't last long.

The shifter was crap. I'm glad that so many people liked it, but to me it was just a poorly engineered toy. You had to hack the car to install it, and after all that it worked poorly. If I ever get another automatic car, I'll go with the Hurst. It uses all of the factory stuff and comes with its own console plate so you don't have to hack your stock one.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
You can use the stock cable, I did, didn't even have to get under the car. You do have to cut and reuse the old bracket on the old shifter though. Use locktite on the handle and it won't loosen. I love it. Never armoral the boot or it will crack.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:06 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: Chevy ZZ4
Transmission: Select Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles / 3.73 Richmond Gears
Do a search in Body/Interior and in the Transmission areas for more info. I listed a number of times what I did about the cable problem.

As far as the console plate lifting through normal use it's b/c the screws thread into plastic and are easily stripped out. What I did on the top two loose screws was:

1. Take off the shifter boot

2. Reach inside under the screw holes and hold these screw clip things(the things that come with aftermarket speakers. Looks like a U-type clip that you put over the edge of a door panel for example so the screws have something strong to thread into) in place under the shifter panel. Then put the screw through the holes like normal except now they thread into these clips underneath the panel. This allows the screws to get very tight and NEVER loosen on their own.

3. Put the boot back on and never have the shift plate losen again

Just remember that if you ever have to take off that top plate again to reach inside and catch those clips as you're taking the screws out. If you forget they will fall into the console which may or may not be a pain to get them out again, depending on where they land.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Actually the console lifts because there's a piece of metal on the shifter linkage that raises up when you downshift. When it raises up it hits the console. Since this is supposed to be application-specific, B&M should have smartened up and fixed the issue.

Loctite won't always keep the handle from losening... it didn't for me.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:54 PM

Car: '03 S-10/ '87 Trans Am
Engine: mild 350
Transmission: TH350
Okay so all of these problems are fixable, but the point is you can have a shifter with an easier installation, no problems, with all the required ascesorys, and utilizes the stock cable for only $17 more. This being the Hurst. I've read up on it and too many people are having problems with cables breaking and other stuff. So far I'm yet to hear a complant on the Hurst model. The Hurst also comes with a replacment console plate that replaces the facotry one, rather than hacking it up.

-Matt
Old 01-24-2002, 08:18 PM

Actually the Hurst looks to be quite a bit more than the B&M.....

B&M Console Megashifter - $151.99 (Jegs)
Hurst Dual Gate-2 Shifter - $239.99 (Jegs)

Thats a big difference, and I've read people who both love and hate both so far. Some people had a bitch of a time with the B&M, while others did it no problem. Some people had a hard time with the Hurst, while in the other case how many countless didn't? The near $90 differnece seems like I'm takin a risk either way.

Soooooo........ I dunno, what models of cars were they for those of you that had no trouble?

Adam
Old 01-24-2002, 08:33 PM

I'm talking about the V-Matic 2 which fits into our consoles. Which costs $169.99. Which Jegs do you have? The most expensive Hurst shifter is the Pistol-Grip quarter stick for $219.99 this comming from the Christmas edition.

-Matt
Old 01-24-2002, 08:46 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Originally posted by Flash84Z28
I'm talking about the V-Matic 2 which fits into our consoles.
There's no console version of the V-Matic 2 for thirgens, only for secondgens.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:52 PM

I got it on the net, www.jegs.com, I didn't look at the V-Matic....

Hurst V-Matic 2 Shifter - $169.99
But no-where on the page does it talk about our cars I would like ta get somthin like that, that looks fine, but, It won't fit in our cars, the Hurst Dual gate will though, and thats a bit more expensive.

Hurst V-Matic 2
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...755&prmenbr=76

Hurst Dual Gate 2
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...br=76&lastcat=

B&M Megashifter
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...br=76&lastcat=

Thats what I got

Adam
Old 01-24-2002, 08:56 PM

You think that Hammer Shifter will fit??
Old 01-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.4L
Transmission: 4l60e
i want the hammer shifter and i do beleive it will fit. it says it will work on the TH700-R4 which is what you should have if you have an auto

besides everybody and there brother has the megashifter, the hammer looks better anyway, i am going with the hammer
Old 01-25-2002, 09:42 AM
TGO Supporter

The hammer handle is available for like $20 and will fit onto the megashifter.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:24 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: Chevy ZZ4
Transmission: Select Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles / 3.73 Richmond Gears
Actually the console lifts because there's a piece of metal on the shifter linkage that raises up when you downshift. When it raises up it hits the console. Since this is supposed to be application-specific, B&M should have smartened up and fixed the issue.
There is nothing that should hit the shifter plate. I know what you're talking about and mine doesn't hit. Maybe you mounted the brackets incorrectly causing it to sit too high?
Old 01-25-2002, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Apeiron

There's no console version of the V-Matic 2 for thirgens, only for secondgens.
Damn. I'm wondering how much modicication would be required to make it fit. Oh well, that puts me back with the B&M. They need to make a V-Matic 2 that fits in our cars!

-Matt
Old 01-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2015 Camaro Z/28 & 2013 Super Bee
Engine: LS7 and 392 HEMI
I just ordered the Hurst Dual Gate earlier today. I didn't think that they made it anymore, since I never see it in the Jeg's or Summit or any other catalogs. I did a search here and found that Year One sells them for $230 for 3rd gen Camaros. After looking at auto shifters for the past month and not liking the way any of them looked, I saw the Dual Gate and whipped out the credit card. The looks alone are worth the extra $90 to me.

Old 01-26-2002, 12:26 AM

Hate it won't buy another one. My threads on the shifter (not the handle) are now turned down to 5/16 on order to put the shifter handle. If it strips again I will have to replace the shifter and as soon as I get some extra cash for another probably a hurst of some type.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:29 AM

What I would really like to se is a kit for the duel gate for a firebird. I really like that shifter I drove a 77 Z28 with that shifter and loved it.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:02 AM

Hmmm, yeah, that Dual Gate looks nice, just gonna have to wait til I get another check I just bought a set of Black 5-Stars to replace my bent up Gold Honey-Combs, and while that didn't even come close to breakin the bank, I don't think I could make it another 2 weeks with the money that buying the Dual Gate would leave me with Juts outta curiosity, what exactly does the Dual gate do? I mean, what are the draws? It looks real cool, like, can you switch over into the actual GEARS? Thats what it looked like in that pic, if so, thats what I'm getting, cause thats DAMN cool Now! Onto Sears so that they can put my new wheels on! I'll have pics soon for those who actually care, but I've been working LONG and hard on this car, and I might as well share it with some poeple that can actually appreciate it.

------------
1984 Camaro Z28, White with Gold GFX
V8 305 LG4
New Paint
Edelbrock Chrome Valve Covers
Re-Moved AC
Stock Body (Cept for the Sub-Frame Connectors)

New Mods
-------------
Eibach Springs
KYB Shocks
Spohn Sub-Frame Connectors
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster 80 Series Exhaust
3" Pipe Straight Back with No Cat
2 Small Gold Neons In the nose-clip over the front bumper grills (Looks really cool at night)
Stock Black Camaro 5-Star Rims

Got the car for $14000 and new nothing about Camaros, car was in really bad shape when I got it, now shes lookin BEAUTIFUL and I know just that much more about MechaniX

Adam
Old 01-26-2002, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2015 Camaro Z/28 & 2013 Super Bee
Engine: LS7 and 392 HEMI
Here's how the dual gate works. Looking at the pic above, when you have the stick over in the left gate, it acts as stock. When the stick is in the right gate, you have manual control of shifting the gears. It's not ratchet action, but there are detents to keep you from overshifting.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:16 AM

That rocks! Definetly worth the $90

Adam
Old 01-28-2002, 05:32 PM

I just installed the shifter in my car last weekend. Actually first I got the Hammer shifter, as far as I can tell it wont fit unless you remove your console and use theres, or make heavy modification to yours. I had to return it.

As far as the Megashifter - the only thing I like about it is the way it looks. I hate everything else. I wonder how so many people like it. I wish I still had my stock shifter.

If you have had no expersince with transmissions, dont even think about installing this yourself. Even with prior expersince, find a friend to help you.

One thing to remember - THIS IS NOT A DIRECT FIT LIKE THEY PROMISE YOU - you will have to do plenty of mods to get this in and working. I dont know how they can get away with selling this piece of **** as a "direct fit"
Old 01-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

well.........i would also say that it was a PITA to install, only because i wanted to keep it as clean of an install as well as be able to reinstall my factory shifter later if i wanted.

so with this in mind and the fact you have to buy a $10 relay from radioshack to get things working it was a little more hassle then i figured.

my biggest problem when all was said an done, it was rather hard to get in an out of the different gears for a day or two, then it either loosened up or i learned how to use it....not sure on which.

but, it does look cool, i prefer the style and chrome over the hurst as well as i love the ratchet action when your at the track....one run through the gears and i was happy i went through the trouble.

but, it's personal preference; so many people have them because they like them, there are also those who don't and that's why there are options like the hammer or hurst dual/gate. just pick what you like and make it work.......it's not that difficult.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:01 PM

i didnt cut up my stock harness, and it was an easy modification..

Just get some extra cable (speaker cable works) and some female and male terminals/connectors. You will have to file the male terminals down a bit to fit into the stock harness, but its really easy. Then crimp the connectors on the ends of the wire, and stick it into the harness...cover w/ electrical tape if you're worried about it coming loose. Then simply connect the other end to your B&M shifter.

Easy as that... simple 10 minute modification and you DONT have to cut apart your stock harness.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:45 PM

I don't quite think I have a grasp on the 'Ratchet' Action its talking about...... I mean, I know what a freakin ratchet is and all, but I can't see how it would apply to a shifter. Can someone please explain? This will help me in deciding what I'm gonna get. The Dual Gate looks rather sweet, but then again, so does the B&M, so, I'm just faced with a choice of weather I want a simple drop in, or mod out a little.... and also weather I want a gated shifter or weather I want a Ratchet shifter (Which I don't know what that is). So, hopefully someone will be able to tell me

Adam
Old 01-31-2002, 01:25 AM
Supreme Member

well, i did the same thing with my harness but i used matching wire to the harness and soldered the connections to the relay while cliping them into the harness.........i too wasn't about to cut up my harness. but, it definately took me more than 10 min.

the best way i can describe the ratchet action; it works just like a ratchet in the way it shifts when your manually going through the gears..........it's a nice and smooth action that makes driving the 1/4 alot of fun!

i'm sure someone on here will explain it more technically though.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Rachet: Once you put the shifter in OD, you can then pull the shifter down, it'll pull down about an inch and a half and then hit a stop - now you're in Drive; at that point you can just let go of the shifter and you're good to go. Want to go back to OD? Push the shifter forward, it'll move forward about an inch and a half and then hit a stop; let go of the shifter and voila, you're back in OD. You can move through all of the gears that way BUT you can't go up to Reverse or Park; you have to pull the spoon to do that.

Hopefully that helps a bit with the explanation.

Steve
Old 02-21-2002, 04:36 PM

so the hurst dual gate will not fit in a firebird?
Old 02-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 camaro
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: th-400
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt/Detroit TrueTrac 4.
i never have fully understood the manual shifting of an automatic. it is possible, how? cuz that dual gate shifter is awesome