Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

My First Firebird Body Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Firebird Body Conversion

Good evening everyone, I'm new to the forum, I looked for the presentation section of new users but unfortunately I didn't find it, I take this opportunity to introduce myself here. I am a European enthusiast of the pontiac firebird, since I was a child I have seen the supercar series. I recently set aside some money to buy one, in my part they are very rare, and not having a high budget I'm looking for a lot.
Eventually I found a 92 firebird, but I like the aesthetics of the 86-89 model, so I was wondering if it would be possible to fit the body parts of the 89 model (bumpers, side skirts etc) on the 92 model. car looks the same, but I would like your opinion that you are much more experienced than me on this beautiful vehicle.
Thanks in advance everyone for your advice, I appreciate them very much. I wish everyone a good day
Old 02-28-2022, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1
Re: My First Firebird Body Conversion

Originally Posted by Animale
Good evening everyone, I'm new to the forum, I looked for the presentation section of new users but unfortunately I didn't find it, I take this opportunity to introduce myself here. I am a European enthusiast of the pontiac firebird, since I was a child I have seen the supercar series. I recently set aside some money to buy one, in my part they are very rare, and not having a high budget I'm looking for a lot.
Eventually I found a 92 firebird, but I like the aesthetics of the 86-89 model, so I was wondering if it would be possible to fit the body parts of the 89 model (bumpers, side skirts etc) on the 92 model. car looks the same, but I would like your opinion that you are much more experienced than me on this beautiful vehicle.
Thanks in advance everyone for your advice, I appreciate them very much. I wish everyone a good day
Hello and welcome to the forum. Which trim level is your 92' Firebird (Base Coupe, Formula, Trans am, GTA)? The Trans am's and GTA's would have the side skirts and the Base Coupe and Formulas would not. You mention bumpers and side skirts from an 89', so I'm assuming you are referring to an 85'-90' Trans am or 87'-90' GTA.

The simple answer to your question is yes, the 85'-90' bumpers and side skirts can be installed on a 92'. You may need to drill some holes and/or fill some holes and there is a lot of hardware/brackets/etc. that you would also need to source. Normally, I would say to find a donor car to grab all of the parts from, but since you are in Europe, I don't know how easy that would be.
The following users liked this post:
Animale (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 759 Likes on 583 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Welcome aboard Animale!

I would agree with the above. But as I'm sure you've noted in photos, the ground effects changed in those years. So unless you change them all the way around the car, you will have a mismatch of styles. Perhaps the difference is subtle enough to not be an issue? Marker / turn signal lights are in different locations, so you will have to modify the wiring to reach the new spots.
The following users liked this post:
Animale (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 03:25 AM

Thank you so much for the advise, i very appreciate. I don't know what trim has the car in question, because even the owner don't know the trim. We know only that the car is a firebird '92.... i am sorry, there are difference in the trims for the conversion body from '92 to '89?
Old 03-01-2022, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1

It's all possible, just trying to figure out what you have now and what is the end result you are looking for. Can you post a picture of the car you are buying? Here are some pictures of the different looks (with and without ground effects) for 92' and 89'.

This one is a 92' Firebird Formula. The base model Firebird without the aero package would look similar with no ground effects/side skirts

This is a 91' Firebird Trans am (92' looks the same). It has the ground effects/side skirts. The Trans am, Trans am GTA and base Firebird with the aero package would have these.

This is an 89' Firebird Formula. No ground effects. The base model Firebird coupe would look similar

This is a 1989 Trans am GTA. The Trans am would have these same ground effects.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by TransamGTA350
It's all possible, just trying to figure out what you have now and what is the end result you are looking for. Can you post a picture of the car you are buying? Here are some pictures of the different looks (with and without ground effects) for 92' and 89'.

This is a 91' Firebird Trans am (92' looks the same). It has the ground effects/side skirts. The Trans am, Trans am GTA and base Firebird with the aero package would have these.

Thank you so much for the examples, this is the car in question, the car have the ground effect like in the pic you posted.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:58 AM

guys, please do you know a good site where to buy the aesthetic parts (headlights excluded) to convert the 92 firebird that I found, into a 89 trans am? Bumpers, ground effect etc .... Thank you very much, even if it seems complex, I could save money by following this path