Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Does anyone make a 2" Firebird cowl hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 08:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: '88 GTA
Engine: 355 SBC, AFR 195 heads, Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700r4
Does anyone make a 2" Firebird cowl hood?

All I've ever found were 4" cowls. I like the cowl look, but don't like the 4" height.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:19 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Re: Does anyone make a 2" Firebird cowl hood?

maybe Harwood?

Cowl hoods look awful on Firebird in my opinion. Only the IMSA hood worked with the lines of the car.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 216 Likes on 162 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
maybe Harwood?

Cowl hoods look awful on Firebird in my opinion. Only the IMSA hood worked with the lines of the car.
I would buy that hood in a heartbeat if someone still made it. Love the double power bulge, and you get room for a taller intake.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 251 Likes on 187 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

http://fiberpartsconcepts.com/1289627.html

Apparently the hood has been available from Fiber Concepts for several years, very under the radar. Somebody on TGO ordered and received one in the early 20-teens, I believe.

During the pandemic FC had a finished one listed on ebay. I contacted them about it, and they said they'll keep making it if people order it.

Then when the $600 stimulus checks were announced late in 2020, the one on ebay sold, so I missed out.

One thing to note, it does appear to be Rob, formerly of Show Cars in Canada, but I don't think he operates Fiber Concepts, which is in Pennsylvania. But there seems to be an affiliation of some sort.

Edit: The ISMA hood is what I was talking about.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 11-04-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27

How is the quality and fit?
Old 11-04-2021, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

IIRC, the guy from several years ago said the quality of the ISMA hood's construction was good and so was the fit, with the exception of one side having a little bit more of a gap between hood and fender than the other side. But overall he seemed pleased.

I'm not the person who purchased the ISMA hood on ebay last year, sadly. But the photos were of the real thing, and I think it looked good. Fiber Concepts was the seller, and I just happened to save the pictures. Here are a few.

I'd have bought it the first day I saw it, had it not been for the pandemic, no employment, and no sign of employment on the horizon. But when the stimulus was announced, I was gonna get it, but someone else apparently had the same idea and beat me to it. I'd have jumped in my truck and taken a road trip to PA to pick it up, visiting my family along the way, in Indy. Ya gotta stop when you're that close, ya know?

Here's an interesting "coincidence," not long after the hood sold, I found a Firebird convertible for sale online, and it had on ISMA hood! Looked like a fresh paint job too, the whole car. I couldn't determine if the ad was current though.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:39 PM

Cool, thanks. I actually found them the other day. Only thing is I can't zoom in to see any detail but I got a general idea from your pictures. Got it bookmarked though. My stock hood was cut to make way for my Stealth Ram and it feels less rigid and I don't like the way it looks.

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd

Apparently the hood has been available from Fiber Concepts for several years, very under the radar. Somebody on TGO ordered and received one in the early 20-teens, I believe.

During the pandemic FC had a finished one listed on ebay. I contacted them about it, and they said they'll keep making it if people order it.

Then when the $600 stimulus checks were announced late in 2020, the one on ebay sold, so I missed out.

One thing to note, it does appear to be Rob, formerly of Show Cars in Canada, but I don't think he operates Fiber Concepts, which is in Pennsylvania. But there seems to be an affiliation of some sort.

Last edited by Johnny Gun; 11-04-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

I looked into this hood years back. I like it, and these guys are somewhat local to me. Only thing I don't like about the hood is where the cowl ends. I wish it was finished off more like a traditional cowl hood where it extends over the cowl area a bit. Honestly the only reason I never bought one.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 761 Likes on 585 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

IIRC, the guy from several years ago said the quality of the ISMA hood's construction was good and so was the fit, with the exception of one side having a little bit more of a gap between hood and fender than the other side. But overall he seemed pleased.

I'm not the person who purchased the ISMA hood on ebay last year, sadly. But the photos were of the real thing, and I think it looked good. Fiber Concepts was the seller, and I just happened to save the pictures. Here are a few.

I'd have bought it the first day I saw it, had it not been for the pandemic, no employment, and no sign of employment on the horizon. But when the stimulus was announced, I was gonna get it, but someone else apparently had the same idea and beat me to it. I'd have jumped in my truck and taken a road trip to PA to pick it up, visiting my family along the way, in Indy. Ya gotta stop when you're that close, ya know?

Here's an interesting "coincidence," not long after the hood sold, I found a Firebird convertible for sale online, and it had on ISMA hood! Looked like a fresh paint job too, the whole car. I couldn't determine if the ad was current though.
This is a nice looking hood, and not at all unlike what I was contemplating having fabricated. I'm glad you saved these photos, as that single postage stamp sized picture on their website is pretty unconvincing.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:58 PM
COTM Editor

I want one of those.

I've got an early Trans Am hood with the screened opening that maybe I'll sell to help fund this. Bought it a few years ago and never did anything with it. Just been sitting in my house taking up space.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Here's another pic of the ISMA hood with a little more visible detail. 9 pics were in the ad. I saved these on 9/11/2020. Someone bought the hood in Nov/Dec, 2020.

And here's the TA convertible with an ISMA hood, possibly the very one in the ad. I saved these pics on 2/22/2021. It might be an old ad, I don't know. You know how things can randomly pop up on the internet. But I suspect it was current, because there aren't many street cars with this hood, maybe, like, 4 or 5 ever seen, and none this fresh-looking for a decade or two. And it showed up soon after the sale of the hood in the ebay ad. Car and pics are kinda dark, so details aren't easy to see, but it looks like a very nice fit.

Maybe someone here knows the car? Maybe someone here knows the owner? Maybe the owner is a member of TGO? Maybe someone is familiar with the dealership logo in the upper right corner of the pics?

I guess I should probably update the Firebird hood threads to include these pics.

I kept it all on the DL at the time because I wanted it, of course.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 11-05-2021 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar, structure.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 761 Likes on 585 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Thanks again for sharing the photos.

That dealer logo is Gateway Motors. They have 18 locations across the country. Often a high on price (IMO), but obviously they have some overhead to feed. For the customer who wants to shop for a classic car the same way they do a new fishing rod, it's a good way to go.

A little disappointing (again IMO) that it has hood pins. I'd prefer to keep the stock latch if possible. Hinges too, with softer struts.

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I've got an early Trans Am hood with the screened opening that maybe I'll sell to help fund this. Bought it a few years ago and never did anything with it. Just been sitting in my house taking up space.
Do you mean the turbo hood with the offset scoop? That's what I had planned on building from. I was going to hie a local custom/fab shop to make a mirror image of the scoop on the driver side for the passenger side. The result would have been similar to this.

I would like to preserve my T/A hood vents. It appears the front ones would not be an option with the IMSA hood.

The website says it weighs 45 pounds. How's that compare to the factory steel piece?
Old 11-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

I agree. I don't like the hood pins either. The hood is built to bolt on, so unless there were attachment circumstances unknown to us, and none were apparent in any of the car's engine bay pics, then the pins shouldn't have been necessary. But fitment looks excellent.

A little more research revealed that the car is a 1985 Trans Am LG4/5-speed with approximately 85,000 miles. It's the two-seat convertible conversion that was available early-to-mid generation. It was listed by Barrett-Jackson and Gateway Motors in early 2021. So the timeline suggests a very good chance that the hood on the car is the same white one in the other pics, which was listed/sold on ebay near the end of 2020.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:25 AM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
Do you mean the turbo hood with the offset scoop?
Yes.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:24 AM

I think I've settled on this Harwood for when the time comes.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:05 AM

Received 483 Likes on 233 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird GTA
Engine: Motown Aluminum 427
Transmission: TH400/GVO
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 IRS 3.75:1

Cars and Concepts IMSA 2 inch on my first thirdgen. this WAS the perfect hood, and i'd have one if they still made them. they sold out to someone....???

back in '82.....
The following 2 users liked this post by 427seven:
DynoDave43 (11-15-2021), scfbody (11-18-2021)