Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Leaking T tops

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaking T tops

Hi, just got an 82 camaro and the passenger t top leaks fairly bad. It seems to be coming in like between the actual glass and frame by where the handle is because the water comes in and drains out of the plastic where that handle is at on the inside. I am not sure if there is a proper way to fix this as i was just going to run a small bead of silicone along the window and frame and call it a day. If anyone has a more legit way of fixing it, or any other ideas id love to hear em.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Leaking T tops

You most likely have to disassemble the t top and replace the seals. I looked at the seal kits and they seem to run $270/300 for a complete set. I’ll eventually be doing this on my trans am but it’s gonna be a while.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:26 AM

Dang, well i guess it beats throwing a tarp over it every time it rains still.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Verynormal
Dang, well i guess it beats throwing a tarp over it every time it rains still.
I remember even my 1989 camaro when it was new I would get a drip here and there when it rained. And that was when it was new. Dealer replaced seals glued staples screwed adjusted everything.
as they get older they leak even more. I remember they mostly leaked at the window /door edge gaps
It’s no different than my old Bronco. Once the removable rear section of the roof was taken off it always leaked after that. Not a lot but a drip here and there.
I would start by replacing at least the outer edge seals of the t top.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:53 AM

I have done the outer ones but the water actually comes inside before it would get to that seal, like if i take the t top out after it gets wet i can pour water out of the inside of that plastic frame where the handle is.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:14 AM

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: 3 T-Tops
Engine: 327/305/305
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42/2:73

Originally Posted by Verynormal
I have done the outer ones but the water actually comes inside before it would get to that seal, like if i take the t top out after it gets wet i can pour water out of the inside of that plastic frame where the handle is.
Sounds like you have the same problem I did on my 82 TA. If you have the t-top out of the car and on a table and can pour water into that seal and watch it rain down underneath, then the sealer between the hard plastic outer trim and the glass itself has deteriorated. I would not recommend separating it if this is the case. I ran a super small bead of clear caulking down that strip between the glass and frame from end to end and that solved the problem. I'm not sure if it's possible to separate that piece and re-seal it to the glass easily, but I did not attempt it because 82 Hook style t-tops are hard to find.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:20 PM

Yeah upon further inspection i can actually see a gap between the plastic thing and the glass. There is some caulk in there still but like 90% of it is missing and the bit that's still in there is old and not even connected really. Gona seal that up then hopefully im good to go, i feel bad dragging a tarp over the car over and over.