Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

shaker hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaker hood

Does anybody know of a shaker hood kit for a third gen camaro? I think they look cool, and I need the clearance.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
No kit, but someone here had pic of a custom thirdgen 'bird with a shaker, so it can be done.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:31 PM

I don't know of any aftermarket hoods, but I met a guy about a year ago that had a shaker. He used a hood from a base firebird, took some good dimensions and measurements a fabricated a hood. It was clean and straight. Pretty unique looking too.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:36 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: 1994 T56
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27 (stock)
you can get an L88 cowl hood from VFNfiberglass.com. it has a nice old muscle car look
Old 01-16-2002, 03:23 AM
Supreme Member

If you don't mind putting chrysler styling on a thirdgen, there is a company making shaker hoods and aircleaners for Dodge Dakotas. Wouldn't be my choice, but it would be an option.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:27 PM

I like the old Chrysler shakers, and I've seen some fiberglass L88 "cowls" in Summit. I'm not sure about the ones in Summit because they don't look functional. I'm afraid of looking like a poser with some fiberglass riveted to my hood. I really want something that looks like one of the 2nd gen fake shakers, but I heard they are just a cap that sits on the air cleaner.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: GMPP 350 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Search for info on Bandit II firebirds. They were made aftermarket. And had shaker hoods (similar to 2nd gens) I do not know if the hoods were real or not, but you should be able to find some info. Look in the history/resto section and do a search. good luck.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
85 Berl,

You said you like the old Mopar shakers? If you do I would suggest that you get one of the new shakers for a Dakota and adapt it to your car. Yes, they repop the old E-body shaker but it is enormous, trust me, as the owner of a Camaro and a Challenger, the differance in size is shocking. The shaker would take up half your hood, the Dak shaker is smaller. One stock shaker that is probably the right size is the Trans Am shaker. These cap shakers can be converted to functional use, I saw a kit a while back that added a motorized door in back. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:25 PM

I do like the old Chrysler shakers, but it may be too much for the F body hood. I'm not sure if it'll leave enough of the hood frame to stay rigid.

Ragtop, the last one you mentioned where you can get the kit to make it functional with a door in the back: is that from a 2nd gen? I think it would work the best. What kind of air cleaner do you use with these kinds of set ups? I'm using a Summit 14x3 offset base aircleaner on my pick up, and I would like to use the same one on the camaro if it would work. Also, if it matters, I have a Holley carb and Edelbrock performer vortec manifold.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the kit is for a 2nd gen, the company that made it sold fiberglass parts too, I think I saw the add in Car Craft. It was only like $80. The air filter you would have to use is the one that sits inside the shaker ( although I admit I've never seen inside a T/A shaker ). Usually the shaker is an entire assembly that sits on top of the engine, replacing a standard air cleaner. A Holley carb should work fine with a T/A shaker, however, you'll probably have to fab some kind of spacer or something to get the height right. I suggest hitting the junkyards in your area, I've seen several shaker hood T/As in a nearby junkyard. If your go to a you pull it style place expect to pay less than $50 for the hood and the entire shaker assembly ( just tell them its an aircleaner ). Notice I said hood too, I suggest you nab it too since it already has a nice finished hole in it and it has bracing around this hole to stengthen the area. You could cut this part out and graft it to your hood, just make sure no Bandit freaks see you do this . Or you could nab another stock hood to add it to. Yes this sounds tough but all custom work is a PITA, but it usually pays off. I think this kind of freaky custom work is awesome, so please keep me posted. BTW, its just my opinion, but since you said Camaro, I would get the more square later shaker, as opposed to the rounded ( and factory functional ) shaker found on ealier T/A's.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:35 AM
Supreme Member

they look kick ***, it would look OK on a 3rd gen i bet but nothing like the 2nd gens, the shaker itself clamps on to a regular round aircleaner, and is open in the back, so your basically getting a cowl induction and the only air coming in to the carb is from the outside, agian carb is the only way you can use one but im sure you realized that theres fairly common to find, the shaker air cleaner base is a special one so you will need to get one,.but i think its worth the effort, i know i love the late 70's birds with that wicked "6.6 LITRE" shaker shaking doing the disco to let you know your going to get your *** kicked
Old 01-18-2002, 01:03 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by TempesT68
carb is the only way you can use one but im sure you realized that
Or TBI?
Old 01-18-2002, 01:08 AM

I need to go to Texas! Clean hoods go for more than that around the places I go to, and that's just a plain hood! I'm going to look for a late 70's T/A for the hood. That's a good idea, cutting the old hood to graft onto the new one, but I don't know if I have the skills to make it right. I don't want any 2nd gen purists trying to kick my *** for hacking up good hood for some crappy project, it's got to be right. Does anybody have any pics of finished hoods like this on a thirdgen?

I'll look around the junkyards to see what I have to work with.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:09 AM

I think TBI should work just as good, since you're already fabbing stuff to fit. I'm running a Holley 600, though.