Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Cowl rust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cowl rust?

Anybody have any tips on cleaning up this rust? Its mainly surface rust from what I can tell, but I can't get a tool in there. Thanks

Old 03-30-2020, 07:39 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Cowl rust?

My answer is always the same. Sandblast as much as you can. Spot blasters are cheap. Remove that seam sealer and get as much as you can with a blaster and wire wheel/wire brush. After that maybe chemicals will help with the rest.

when you’re done seal it with epoxy primer. You can spray it or brush it on, then cover it with seam sealer.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 229 Likes on 193 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1

There is definitely more than surface rust in there. You will need to get in there with any tool that you can (screwdriver, gasket scraper, putty knife, whatever) and dig and scrape the old seam sealer out. Then, use a spot sandblaster to get all of the rust out and see what you are dealing with. More than likely, you are going to find some holes and rust/rot down in the seam where multiple pieces of Sheetmetal are spot welded together. If that's the case, then the only correct way to fix it is to cut out the rusty metal, fabricate new pieces and weld it back together. Then epoxy primer, new seam sealer and paint.

I would seriously take a look at the rest of the common rust areas of these cars and evaluate whether or not it makes sense to continue down this road. Based on how that cowl looks, I would suspect there is a lot more rust elsewhere.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

If that looks like that, look really close where the front wheel tubs come back and down to where they meet the firewall. Pretty good chance you'll find rust in those corners.

I got a set of chisel scrapers from HF, then sharpened them razor sharp. A set of scratch awls with the various hooks, etc can come in handy removing the old crapped seam sealer. Once all that is out, you'll need to get busy with the sand paper, wire brushes, sand blaster, etc. If all else fails you could cut steel and open up the area to allow access, then weld it back up when you're finished.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TransamGTA350
There is definitely more than surface rust in there. You will need to get in there with any tool that you can (screwdriver, gasket scraper, putty knife, whatever) and dig and scrape the old seam sealer out. Then, use a spot sandblaster to get all of the rust out and see what you are dealing with. More than likely, you are going to find some holes and rust/rot down in the seam where multiple pieces of Sheetmetal are spot welded together. If that's the case, then the only correct way to fix it is to cut out the rusty metal, fabricate new pieces and weld it back together. Then epoxy primer, new seam sealer and paint.

I would seriously take a look at the rest of the common rust areas of these cars and evaluate whether or not it makes sense to continue down this road. Based on how that cowl looks, I would suspect there is a lot more rust elsewhere.
ya there is rust in the common areas. I basically got this 86 Iroc for free. So far I've stripped it down intwrior and engine compartment, and am now focusing on the rust.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Billgluckman
My answer is always the same. Sandblast as much as you can. Spot blasters are cheap. Remove that seam sealer and get as much as you can with a blaster and wire wheel/wire brush. After that maybe chemicals will help with the rest.

when you’re done seal it with epoxy primer. You can spray it or brush it on, then cover it with seam sealer.
I do like the sand blast idea, I only wish the entire thing was not in pieces in my garage haha oh well live and learn lol
Old 03-31-2020, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
If that looks like that, look really close where the front wheel tubs come back and down to where they meet the firewall. Pretty good chance you'll find rust in those corners.

I got a set of chisel scrapers from HF, then sharpened them razor sharp. A set of scratch awls with the various hooks, etc can come in handy removing the old crapped seam sealer. Once all that is out, you'll need to get busy with the sand paper, wire brushes, sand blaster, etc. If all else fails you could cut steel and open up the area to allow access, then weld it back up when you're finished.

Ya there rust here as well but this i can see behind and in front and seems like a smaller patch job on my end...