Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Pop-up Delete, Air Intakes, and DRLs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Pontiac Formula
Engine: 5.0 L Carburated
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Pop-up Delete, Air Intakes, and DRLs!

New to the forums, so I thought I'd share my latest project on my formula. Personally, I was never really a fan of the pop ups on firebirds. I loved them on miatas and such, but always thought they killed the agressive look on our cars. So what I ended up doing was getting slim 7" lightbars as a replacement for the pop ups, fitting perfectly within the gap thats created with the motors down. (Side note: Before any of you say that I'm blinding all traffic and what not. They are specially beamed by the company and angled to work as regular headlights. No blinding traffic here).

In a way, this created a snow ball effect that resulted in me completely changing the entire front end of the car lol. Once I had rendered what the headlights would look like. I knew right away that the clash of the orange directions beside them would have to go. Inspired by my friends hellcat. I decided to convert the rectangular directionals into intakes. Suprisingly, they have cooled the engine down by an average of 30 degrees on the highway!! Which I honestly wasn't expecting at the time.

With the directionals now removed. I had to come up with a way to relocate them somewhere, that wouldnt compromise the styling of the car. So once again, inspired by the recent Rocket Bunny Craze, I looked into getting DRL dots and converting them into directionals. These small circles would give me the legality of having signals without making them look too out of place. So I decided to put them in a spot that would finally give the piece some meaning. The two black bumper inserts!

Over all, Im in love with how this project came out. It completely transformed the front end, giving it a fresh revamp, bringing it out of the 80s in a way. Oh, and I decided to restore and wrap my old nose 😂

What do you guys think?

Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Re: Pop-up Delete, Air Intakes, and DRLs!

*Edit*

Here's some older pictures with all the lights on (before the new bumper)

Last edited by Lockwood; 05-04-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 518 Likes on 432 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Is that an AMC Concord I see back there?

OK seriously, can you post a pic of how those headlights light the road at night?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 PM

Good eye, but not quite! Its actually an AMC Eagle Wagon. My daily for the winter months. (Why compromise, right?).

I dont have any pictures from the drivers seat at the moment, only the ones above from the outside. I'll post some tomorrow.