Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What about no console at all? read:)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about no console at all? read:)

First off, this is on my formula, but a camaro wouldn't be too different. In order to install my new shifter, I took out the console and the radio and A/C, heater controls and the "box" around them (to get the console out). I like the look of having no console and nothing under the dash. It sort of opens up the car Also, I don't particularly like the console (although it's mint) anyway.

I was thinking I could just cut the carpet on either side of the trans tunnel and put in a new piece of carpet (without the holes in the middle, below the console) so that it would look nice. I'm not yet sure what to do about the wires, the power mirror switch, that little black box that sticks up, or the emergency brake. I don't think that the window switches will be too much of a problem--the insulation is thick so I can cut out sections, mount the switches, and make bezels so that it looks nice. I guess I could do the same for the mirror switch.

What do you guys think? Any ideas for concealing all the wires (obviously, I could delete the console box light and wires)? Any other ideas on the window switches? I would like to leave them in the center. I want to keep the A/C and heater and I guess the radio. Think I should use the factory "box" (I don't know what that piece is called) or do something else? What? What about E-brake--it would look stupid sticking up in the air and the mechanism would be competely exposed.

Oh, as far as the shifter goes, I would use a boot similar to the rectangular Hurst rubber boots, but preferably smaller than the Super Boot. Does anyone else make them?(the shifter is Pro-5.0)
I think it would look like a floor shifter sort of, or like the B&M Megashifter if I have to use a large boot.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I personally like having the centor console there.
here is what my car looks like without it,

Maybe you can stick a bench seat in there as well, make it easy to make out with your girl.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:35 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mmmmm, naaaah.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:30 AM

Zepher, that's similar to what my car looks like, except that I have the dash, instrument panel cover, all the lower panels, and the box around the A/C, heater and radio off as well. I think I'll pass on the bench seat. I'll be upgrading to BMR rear suspension, STB, Global West steering brace, Spohn SFC's, poly bushings and endlinks for sway bars and maybe Hotchkiss tie rod sleeves and poly front LCA pushings. Maybe in the future, drop spindles, springs for rear. I don't think a bench seat would be ideal for the kind of cornering I want to be able to do. No, I know you were joking(besides, theres the trans tunnel).

I think it would look cool without the console. I was hoping there would be ideas for the window and mirror switches posted, but oh well. I guess I'll think of something. I got the shifter in, though!!
Old 01-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Banned

No offesnse, but my personal opinion is it will look like trash either way.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
Hey un4givin89, how come you have so many posts?
I've been here almost 2 years and you've only been here 6 months and you have 50% more posts than me.

Don't get out much, do you?

Oh, I think I am supposed to help you with your car this sunday.
Do something to the TBI, if I am not mistaken.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:36 PM

you could build your own custome cevter consol If you could sell the shifter you have buy a floor shifter like a mega shifter with its own consol cut the holes for the switches in the sides all you would have to do for the wireing is tuck it under the carpet for the e-brake buy a loKar they sell a nice one have it in one of my hot rods.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:41 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac GTA Hardtop.
Engine: ZZ4 - 350
Transmission: Garbage
I think it might look good without the console, but it won't leave much room to put that spare change or other things.
later
Mike
Old 01-05-2002, 02:11 AM

Car: '87 IROC
Engine: Near Stock 350
Transmission: Stock 700R4
I don't really have any ideas about the e-brake / shifter, but as far as covering up the existing wires couldn't you have another piece of carpet cut to be placed over the carpet that is already there so the wires are between, like a wire sandwich ¿
Old 01-05-2002, 02:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 355 DFI Superram w/ R-Trim
Transmission: Probuilt 700r4
Addressing the ebrake issue... If you ever get a chance, look at a ford windstar van's ebrake. It is between the driver's seat and the center console on the floor. It has a good looking boot that covers the entire brake locking mechanism...I'll bet you could make it work. Order up a B&M megashifter that has its own console as mentioned above or a boot if you have a manual trans. For the window and mirrors, fab a simple plate or box out of fiberglass, wood, or plastic. Carpet it, paint it or whatever and mount it to the floor. I think you could make it look good. Think of it this way...there are really no permanent modifications you'd be doing. Have fun playing with it....if you dont like it, change it back. That center console is heavy too, so it will save you some weight. The bad thing is, I think you'll miss the armrest. See ya.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:01 PM

You may just want to go walk around a junk yard and see if you can find an e-brake that you like that is how I found some of the best parts for some of my projects.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Banned

I'm an freelance IT, I spend to much time in front of this machine. Been talking to Clint? I dunno if I can get out this Sunday, and with all the ice still around, I don't feel like standing in the cold.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:29 PM

I like in the old camaro's, having no console, but i can't see my cars without them.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
Didn't 3rd gen Camaro's have the power mirror switches in the drivers side door panel?

My buddies 87 Iroc-Z has it there in front of where the top of the interior arm rest bolts to the black plastic panel.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

I think modern cars look better with all the amendities, but that said, removing the console does have a certain appeal to it. Maybe you could move the mirror control to the door panel, and get either an aftermarket armrest with the switches (Street Rodder magazine might be a good source), or else an armrest out of some other car with the switches might also work. I like the idea of a Lokar e-brake handle too, they are nice. If you went the Lokar route, then the aftermarket armrest would make more sense.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:14 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI (L98)
Transmission: 700RJunk
I'd keep the console. The interior will look bad...like there's something missing (which there is), if you remove the console, plus you're gonna have to relocate your power window switches. If you do remove the console make sure to get some new carpet and hide those wires, otherwise it looks half-assed. Do it that way with a B&M megashifter in there it'll look okay....
Old 01-06-2002, 01:53 AM

I think the center console/armrest is a central part of the "character" of a thirdgen's interior. Who knows though, it may look cool without it. as far as the switches, maybe you could mount them in the roof? Like make a little switch panel up there, and put them up there, maybe with other switches you add.

- Mike
Old 01-06-2002, 11:14 AM

the roof idia could work if you could find an over head consol I dont know if you already have on my gta has one and it has plenty of places you could mount the switches but you would have to take the head liner out to hide the wires and if you dont have t-tops It will probably destroy it getting it out and you will have to have a new one put in. I still think your best bet is to guild your own its just like building a speaker box build the sides out of wood cover it in vinal or what ever matches your seat and if you could find a sheet of aluminam to make the top plat with it would look good and if you dont like it you try somthing else and your only out like $20 . I have a Gt 40 replica I used a fearro drive train to guild it Im curintly doing the interior I built every thing out of card bord first to get it shaped the whay I wanted it I then re did it using 1/4 in plywood fiber glass and covered some of it with leather and I used 1/8 in aluminam sheets to make the top of the consol I even bought a few sheets of the stick on carbon fiber to use. for the e-brake I used a Lokar its starting to look good but I cave a lot of finnishing work to do yet.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Like some of you said, I figure that it's not permanent; if I don't like it, I can always put the console back in.

I actually have a Lokar ebrake in my Shelby Cobra replica. I was thinking of using one of those. I just need to find a place to mount it, or find a boot to use if I put in in a location similar to the stock brake. Maybe there is room under the trans tunnel metal to mount the brake on the trans tunnel--I don't know how much space there is between the tunnel metal and the transmission.

I think it could look good if I had the window and mirror switches (on my formula, Dave84bird ) on top of the trans tunnel, but back a little ways. Maybe between the seats.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:09 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45
I have always considered those trim pieces like the center console, dash pad etc, a sort of protection. Without them I think i would cut myself up on the metal.... I dunno What would happen in a crash, your hands slapping agains all that structior with nothing to soften the blow might hurt...

John
Old 01-08-2002, 09:55 PM

Go to Radio Shack and pick up a project box. I've seen some that measure 4 inches by 5 inches and inch and a half deep. Mount your switches in that.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:02 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip
biggest beef for me with this WHERE THE HELL DO I REST MY RIGHT ARM?
Old 01-09-2002, 03:47 AM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28
Engine: LU5 - Crossfire 305
Transmission: 200c - 3 Speed Automatic
i was looking at this in my maro while i had the everything out cept the seats. i defiently like the look and i think u would be able to mount the hvac controlsin whats left of the dash. in the camaro u would also loose the radio mount this way..

no radio mount (in a maro anyways)
no power window switches mount
no arm rest
no storage compartment (where else could u keep ins & reg stuff?)

1-2-3 strikes its out

mike (loomdog)
Old 01-10-2002, 01:38 AM

I need to get my car going again (complete exhaust swap, porting, polishing tpi, CAI (hopefully), had to wait for parts forever because a couple (like the first pair of headers from Ebay) didn't fit and I had to send them back). Anyway, when I get around to the console delete, I'll see if I can post pics when it's done. At the very least, I want to try it out for a couple weeks to see how I like it.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:27 PM

I getting closer to doing this (a few days, hopefully). Anyone else have any ideas? I realize that this kind of ran it course; its fine if you ignore it.
Old 01-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Grand National
Engine: 3.8 SFI Turbo
Transmission: BRF 200R4
why don't you have some tin work done. You could cover the wires up with it and it would really accent the interior.