Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Painting interior peices

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI (dead) -> building 355
Transmission: 27 spline 700R4 (another one died) -> T5 goin in next
Painting interior peices

Hi guys,

With all of the sweet posts in the interior shots link, I am interested in doing a little painting to my interior.

What I would like to know is if you need to do any prep work to the plastic/leather or if you just spray paint it a certain color.

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 01-03-2002, 02:52 PM

Car: Transam
Engine: ZZ4,Holley Stealth Ram,Commander 950
Transmission: T56
Jesse,
You will need to buy paint specifically made for hard or soft plastic/vinyl.Then its just a matter of cleaning with detergent and spray.I did my interior parts a couple of years ago and none of it has chipped or flaked off
Attached Thumbnails Painting interior peices-transam-le-mans.jpg  
Old 01-03-2002, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont' listen to him. You can do this yourself. Just requires you clean the parts first, and use some fine grit sand paper to scuff up the part some. Then you'll want to apply one layer of primer.

When you are painting interior plastic pieces many thin coats works better than a few thick coats. Spray from a got 2 feet and cover lightly but evenly.

You can use automotive paint or model paint, these work best on plastic parts. Apply the layers thin and many. Till its nice and clean, Sand alittle bit lightly before your last two coats, and then add some clear for disired shine.

And you're done. Hope you get some good results. I suggest you get a few pieces from the junk yard first to paint. Say if you want to paint the cluster face, go get one, paint it and wear it in your car for a week before painting anythign else to see if you really like it.

Good Luck, can't wait to see your results.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:41 AM

you could do it the way un4 suggests but my way would be much quicker and no more expensive.The correct paint i used did not require a primer,so once you had washed off and dried the item,you could just spray it.Around 4 thin coats did the trick.
You could try it un4givens way but why not do it right first time.
pm
Old 01-04-2002, 09:57 AM
Banned

Yeah you could do it this guy who doesn't have a clue what he is talking abouts way and waster you money, or you could trust myself and all the other long time experinced members, who posted pictures of their interiors in that post you viewed and know what they are talking about and do right.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:45 AM

michael,
There's no need to get so upset.How can my way be wrong just because i used the proper paint specially designed for painting interior panels.As for experience,ive owned this TA since 1988 which i believe is when you were 6 years old.As you can see from below,ive done one or two mods since then.
Just remember,we are all on here to give others the benefit of our experiences and just because you have done something one way,doesnt mean everybody else is wrong.
cheers
pm

Engine Mods
========
Dart Sportsman Heads
Comp Cams cam and roller rockers
Cloyes true roller timing chain
Headman headers
SLP Cold Air Induction kit
SLP T.P.I. throttle body airfoil
Accel Fuel pressure regulator
Hypertech Chip
SLP 3” Stainless Steel Exhaust system(no cat)

Transmission
========
B&M 700R4 and Convertor
B&M Megashifter
Aluminium Propshaft
New Crown wheel and Pinion
New Half Shafts

Brakes
====
Baer Racing Corvette ZR1 brake kit modified for T/A
13”Discs with Z rated pads

Suspension
=======
Koni Adjustable all round
Hotchkiss Panhard Rod,Trailing Arms and Strut Brace
Edelbrock Lowering Spring Kit
PST Polygraphite suspension bushes throughout
South Side Eng.Subframe Connectors

Wheels
======

Image Wheels 10”x18” Rears,9”x18” fronts with 265/40 x18” Bridgestone

Interior
=====

Cobra UK Seats with rears,door panels,centre console and dash pad covered in grey leather and alcantara to match

All work done by owner with help from friends.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Banned

Maybe its the way you worded it?
Old 01-04-2002, 02:00 PM

i would go with un4givens way, thats how i would do it, with a primer and then shoot thin coats, and then some clear

but yeah plastic paint will work, like paint made by Testors, they make all the model paints, but Testors model paints is not limited to only plastic pieces, and Krylon or VHT paint is not limited for use only on engine parts that get hot or just metal, they can be used on PLASTIC and they are prolly cheaper than the paint u buy for plastic pieces
Old 01-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Formula/2001 GTP
Engine: 5.7 LT1/3.8 Supercharged
I sanded everyting thouroughly because first you never know if its been armour-alled...Armour-all contains silicon and will not let paint adhese to anything. You can also get away with cleaning it thoutroughly...I went ahead and sanded bacuse my plastic had a checker board grid on it which I didnt really like and if you paint over it, it will look like ***. After its sanded/cleaned spray it with plastic primer or paint to plastic promotor, then spray it and clear coat it.
Attached Thumbnails Painting interior peices-interior08.jpg  
Old 01-07-2002, 10:21 PM

Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: 5th 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.89
FlyinLow what color is that on your interior panels that looks killer
Old 03-02-2002, 08:15 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: TH350
I did one piece of trim without any primer and one with Bulldog primer. It's evident that primer should be applied to do it right the first time.
:hail:IROC-Z
Old 03-03-2002, 12:46 PM

Hey, I hope you guys can manage to get along, because you all appear to have a lot of knowledge on this subject.

Using powermite's method, you can get proper results with minimal labor, and at a good price. That's awesome.

u4givin89's method opens you up to a whole range of other possibilities. For example, you could go to AutoZone and buy some exterior paint that matches your car, and paint the dash with that, like the PT Cruiser.

And I never really thought of using model car spray paint before; that stuff is obviously made for plastics. (Although, our cars may or may not be the same type of plastic.) The only thing I can think of here, is that the model car is rigid and sits still....... the paint might not last on a padded armrest that gets flexed a lot.

If you go to www.carsound.com and visit the Fabrication forum, these guys have a lot of experience recoloring interior panels. The all seem to recommend a brand called SEM Color Coat, which you can get at auto body supply shops...which can also custom-mix any color you want.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:14 PM

or you can do it like i did and all it cost me was 96 cents plus tax
but i already had the primer and the clear but i just washed my parts off and shot 2 coats of primer and then shot 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. i see no need for sanding the plastic down the primer works perfect to hold the paint on there.
Attached Thumbnails Painting interior peices-int.jpg  
Old 03-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Im with chris, The sem vinal dye works great on door panels, arm rest and seats. and you can get it custom mixed to match or just go wild.

As for the textured plastic sanding and priming will work and look good.

But my advice is SEM for the vinal, and paint and primer for the plastic. The SEM will work on the plastic if you wont to get custom colors mixed.

The key with what ever paint you use is clean,clean,clean.!!!
Geting the armor all, son of a gun, ect off! or the paint wont stick.

Clean the parts before you sand so that the cemicals from the armor-all will not be embeded in to the piece. It could cause fish-eye.

Just my .02 cents.

P.S. I use to mix the SEM vinal dye and paint at a automotive store and everyone said it works great and saved them alot of money.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:35 PM

oldblueZ, where did you get that spoiler?
Old 03-07-2002, 08:15 AM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI (dead) -> building 355
Transmission: 27 spline 700R4 (another one died) -> T5 goin in next
It was in the back seat of my car when I bought it. I don't know where it came from. I've been looking for where it came from for three years. I think I might have found it, but there is no picture on the site to prove it.

I can't remember the name of the company, but they have a wide body kit, a bunch of wings, and ground effects for a lot of different cars out there. The company also has the wing that looks like it belongs on a 747 jet on a green camaro.

I'll looks some more on the net to find the site again, but it might not be the right place. My wing is an F-40 style, it was stamped in the bottom of the wing.

Later,
Jesse