Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

A list of my FB body / interior probs... any help or hints appreciated :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A list of my FB body / interior probs... any help or hints appreciated :)

rather than post 12 seperate posts i thought i would just run down a quick list of the probs i have with the body/ interior wich i am unsure about... (hope you dont mind)
Then maybe you guys could let know (i mean if these are common probs) the best route to take in fixing them. Part of my delimma is that i am having a hard time find 3gens at the junk yards here.

I've had this car about 3 mos now but am just getting around to fixing it up, wich was my original intention in buying it.

1) hood and hatch shocks are wore out, useless..

2) latch on the hatch doesnt , well... "latch" anymore. the part attached to the car (not lid) is loose and out of place.

3) lights make a strange (=loud) "CLUNK" noise when i turn them on or off.

4) the storage compartment in the hatch (its on the left wheel and locks with key) wont unlock now... completely stuck.

5) fuel gauge gets higher / lower when i speed up/ slow down. (is that normal?)

the rest is mostly small parts (or not so small?) i need to get like the console, as it is badly coming unglued & the lid broke. cig lighter is stuck... NOBODY can get it out! lol etc etc...

any help/ comment much appreciated
This is my first attempt to even 1/2 azz restore a car and i am clueless.
SE.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Supreme Member

1) Local autoparts store or NAPA. Much cheaper than the dealership. Get the ones for the '91-'92 Z/28 as they were designed for the heavier wing, and should last longer.

4) Lithium grease, or maybe even penetrating oil then the grease.

5) Somewhat normal. Does this on hills and around corners as well.

As for the cigarette lighter, remove the clip on the backside and remove the whole unit from the dashboard and replace.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:52 AM

thanks for the info.

On the lighter though...
It's not on the dash. Its's on the console next to the shifter, so i dont know how to get to it from the other side without ripping out the whole console.

SE
Old 01-03-2002, 04:56 AM
Supreme Member

Console is easy to remove, and you never know what you'll find in there. My '88 IROC that I bought in June was almost filled to the top with cigarette ashes.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:59 AM

*** i hope i find something better than ashes! lol

Thanks for the help
SE.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:22 AM
Supreme Member

Well, I'm not sure what car you've got but:

1) You can also get them from Pep Boys. Get the lifetime warrantied ones because you'll probably need it.

2) Is it a power hatch? Remove your plastic panel across the back and see if the plastic "sliders" or "guides" are all busted up. If they are you can contact lonsal@home.com to have him send you some replacements.

3) Is this a Pontiac? If so, a thunk is normal. Mostly. If it gets really bad, you may have to take a closer look. If they stop moving or start acting funny, do a search on "headlight" to find many, many posts on this...

4) Can you get your key in and it just won't turn? If that's the case then try pressing down on the actual hatch at various spots while you turn the key. If you can't get the key in, then penetrating oil, WD-40, etc. .

5) Yep, normal.

6) You have to remove the shifter cover in order to remove the console because there are bolt(s) up there under the ashtray holding it to the deck. IIRC.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 01-03-2002, 05:45 AM

Sorry peeps thought i had listed what kinda car i have...

It's a 87 Firebird.
v-6,(not original motor)
auto, and thats about all i know..

Thanks for the info
SE.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:51 AM

PS~ no its not a power hatch. The latch on the actual inside of the trunk (on te car not the lid) has shifted and is loose but as it doesnt even seeem to be attached to anything i have no idea how to tighten it or fix it.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A list of my FB body / interior probs... any help or hints appreciated :)

1) hood and hatch shocks are wore out, useless..

Go To Pep Boys or AutoZone or anywhere and buy new ones, 25 bucks.

2) latch on the hatch doesnt , well... "latch" anymore. the part attached to the car (not lid) is loose and out of place.

Search ebay, you can buy a replacement, and duh, just tighten it up.

3) lights make a strange (=loud) "CLUNK" noise when i turn them on or off.

Are you driving a firebird?

4) the storage compartment in the hatch (its on the left wheel and locks with key) wont unlock now... completely stuck.

Spray some WD-40 in the lock. If that doesn't work try some liquid wrench.

5) fuel gauge gets higher / lower when i speed up/ slow down. (is that normal?)

Yup here is something no one can fix, F-Body Fuel gauges work like **** on a stick. You'll know when your full and empty thats it.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:24 AM
Banned

PS: Most of this is pretty simple to fix and shouldn't take any longer than an hour or two.

Last edited by un4givin89; 01-03-2002 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

<sigh>

I have to ask un4givin - what was the point of your post? Did you contribute anything or just come off looking like an @ss? The little you posted that wasn't a smart@ss answer was just a repeat of what everyone else already said. The smart@ss stuff, well, what was the point? To make a new guy dislike you from the start? Nicely done. "Worthless piece of junk"? Maybe to you, but it's his and he's asking for help. Your post falls under the definition of worthless - not his car. In the future you should ask yourself if what you're posting is worth the time it takes you to type it. I bet many here would prefer you not bother.

However, in keeping with the spirit of helping others, I'm here to help you with your feelings of inadequacy. Check it, I made a new avatar for ya - AND as a bonus I included a new sig: "That's right ladies, looks like a pen!s, only smaller."

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2002, 09:43 AM
Banned

Looks like you've lowered yourself to my level then. So I wouldn't talk.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

whao whao whao....shut it down.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:18 AM
Banned

SOmethign I should have said at first, SWEEET_E, welcome to the board bro.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
If its an 87 it is a power hatch, it just might not be working. If it makes a buzzing noise and comes up an inch when you unlock it with the key its working, if it doesn't buzz or doesn't come up its broken.

For the locking glovebox, push the door towards the closed position and towards the back or front of the car. The doors are EXTREMELY flexible and the lock is easy to defeat. Then pull the lock and fix it or have a locksmith fix it for you.

When you remove the console you can also fix your cigarette lighter. Chances are its stuck with any number of drinking beverages. And don't be surprised if there's a penny in the bottom.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:03 PM

Thats why he has so many posts!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually I've seen him give some good advice. Maybe he likes to see his name on the board. Now don't start calling me names, it's all light hearted.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:18 AM

hey sweet_e its nice to see someone else from central ohio. if you need parts for you car a good yard to go is wirthman brothers. they are preaty reasonable on price too.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Trans Am 'Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Hey sweet, welcome!
I might have the non-power hatch lock your lookin for... email me if you need it.
WS6TransAmGTA@aol.com
Old 01-05-2002, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro SC
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700r4
I got the old one from my car,e-mail me if ya want it.I would suggest in getting a power release for the hatch,I just put one in my car the other day.The things a direct boltin,you need to get the wiring harness and the switch for it.Its a major convience when you need to open the hatch when your in the car.What i'm going to do is wire mine up to a remote,so I can open it from outside.