Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

covers for back seats? FB emblems? hatch latch? etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
covers for back seats? FB emblems? hatch latch? etc.

sorry to over load you with a ton of questions but i just found this board this morning and am spilling over with them... (not to mention way enthused this board exists)any-who...

~my interior is red/maroon and black, but the sun has faded most of it to sort of an orange color. (atleast i think its faded, whod think they make it this color on purpose!) and i am trying to downplay the redish with black seat cover. Does anyone know where, or if there is anywhere to get covers for thhe backseat though? and what kinda price range for just velour covers?

~ also my paint upon close inspection looks kinda cracked. I want to get it painted, but when i do, i would like the (already worn) FB emblems replaced. Can you buy these anywhere?

~ also (and then i'll quit for now lol) my hatch isnt latching when it closes now. the peice attached to the trunk (not the lid) seems like it has shifted and is loose. Is there any quick way to fix this? Everytime i hit a big bump it bounces slightly, and i dont like not being able to "fully" lock my car, as it was already broken into once in the past.

Any help, hints or direction much appreciated
SE.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:28 AM
Supreme Member

Welcome to the boards! Your interior is faded if it looks orange. Thirdgen velour interiors fade something terrible, even grey (though it seems to do the best). I don't know of anyone making exact repos of our seat covers, you would probably be better off going to an automotive upholstery shop in your area if you want an exact match (or even custom seatcovers actually). A lot of people are installing 4thgen seats into their cars since they are newer and bolt right in (both front and back), but personally I don't like the 4thgen Camaro seats, though I do like the 4thgen TranAm seats. What are FB emblems? If you mean the exterior plastic emblems, most of them are usually available on eBay, your chevy dealer, or from aftermarket vendors. Decals are also often available from the same sources.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:46 AM

sorry guess i wasnt very specific. what i meant though was the firebird decals.. so you guessed what meant anyways

Thanks for the help

PS~ any idea how much having a seat cover made for the back would cost?
Old 01-03-2002, 04:51 AM
Supreme Member

Couple hundred maybe? I bought my '86 new, and had my front seats redone in '94 for about $250. I had them overstuffed too, which made them more comfortable, but you can't tell unless you really look (they do rub the center console)
Old 01-03-2002, 04:56 AM

Other than being faded to a disgusting color there is nothing wrong with the seats... no rips, stains, etc.

Is it maybe possible to "dye" the fabric somehow?

Thanx again
SE.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:00 AM
Supreme Member

well... the covers unzip and remove from the seats like a pillowcase. You could get some RIT dye and dye them in a washing machine (laundrymat recommended unless you want your machine colored red), but I don't know if that would work good or just screw things up. I heard somewhere that you should rinse dyed items with a salt solution in order to set the dye, but don't know if that is true, or the proper procedure if it is.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:05 AM

Geez, are you serious?!? I had no idea the seat covers came off!!! Where the hell are the zippers hiding? lol Could i be that stupid or blind?

If they do zip off... wich i am not quite understanding, then no prob... i got it under control. i've got a little experience with dyes. (BTW,yeah the salt thing works... a must if you use rit)

SE.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one mentioned a comon and popular mod alot of us thridgen fbodie owners do. Thats forth gen Camaro & Firebird seats. They are a direct bolt in.

A good tip, or somethign you might wanna do is go to some junk yards and look for seats from any f-body 82-up. You never know, you might find somethign you like for a good price. There are guys around here with nice new 99 Leather seats from an fbody whom have gotten them mad cheap.

BEst advice, juss gotta browse, price and compare.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Transmission: auto
seat zippers

Originally posted by SWEEET_E
Geez, are you serious?!? I had no idea the seat covers came off!!! Where the hell are the zippers hiding? lol Could i be that stupid or blind?

If they do zip off... wich i am not quite understanding, then no prob... i got it under control. i've got a little experience with dyes. (BTW,yeah the salt thing works... a must if you use rit)

SE.
You'll see the front seat zippers if you push the seats forward--like if you're trying to get into the back seat--they're right where the top and bottom meet(hope I'm clear). For the rear zipper--it's only on the rear back piece--the piece that folds down--it's also on the bottom--where the 2 pieces meet again-but it has to be tilted first.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
The early seats zip, later seats use interlocking plastic hooks on each edge that hook/clip together. Hard to explain, easy to understand when you look at the seats.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by un4givin89
No one mentioned a comon and popular mod alot of us thridgen fbodie owners do. Thats forth gen Camaro & Firebird seats.
I think if you read my post at the top, I definately mentioned that

Didn't know about the hooks, Drew. Any idea when that started? I haven't looked at my '88s seats yet.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Transmission: auto
hooks or zippers

Originally posted by Blue502

Didn't know about the hooks, Drew. Any idea when that started? I haven't looked at my '88s seats yet.
On my 89 seats(original)they have the zippers--so most likely your 88 does too.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

I went out and looked earlier and my '88 IROC does have zippers, just like my '86.