Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How to repair cracked corner on fiberglass hood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
How to repair cracked corner on fiberglass hood?

I picked up a Harwood fiberglass cowl hood over the weekend for only $75! But it's got a few spots that need some attention. The worst part is a crack on the passenger side where it has almost completely broken off. I've never worked with fiberglass before, so I'm not really 100% what to do for a permanent fix.

Any help for this particular situation would be very helpful since it seems like quite a severe crack!

Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
Re: How to repair cracked corner on fiberglass hood?

I'm no FG expert, but I would think that'd be easy enough to clear away loose bits, clamp or jig straight, and flood the damaged are with FG resin. Follow up with some glass cloth to reinforce and resin to bond it all together, then sand smooth and finish... Go to Youtube and start watching instructional videos. Probably enough on there to keep you busy for a few weeks.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: How to repair cracked corner on fiberglass hood?

Originally Posted by Drew
I'm no FG expert, but I would think that'd be easy enough to clear away loose bits, clamp or jig straight, and flood the damaged are with FG resin. Follow up with some glass cloth to reinforce and resin to bond it all together, then sand smooth and finish... Go to Youtube and start watching instructional videos. Probably enough on there to keep you busy for a few weeks.

I concur! It's pretty easy to repair, just have to properly drill out all the cracks.

HEY! This is my first post in three years!