Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Third Gen or Fourth Gen Trans Am as first car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Third Gen or Fourth Gen Trans Am as first car?

Originally Posted by Tibo
K member is the large metal structure that is underneath the engine that connects the front left subframe to the front right subframe, it's also what the A arms bolt to. The A arms are what the hub/brake rotors/wheels attach to. I believe that they came uncoated from the factory so it's just a given that they will rust. It's really impressive to see Thirdgens with unrusted rear ends and suspension pieces.
Ah I see. Just looked them up too. Thanks for the clarification! So that's the major stuff I should be on the lookout for, huh? Alright!

Cool gopro video I found of some guy driving a Third gen!

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 05-13-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Hey, you guys got any tips that can help lower insurance for me? With Geico at the moment, and I just tried to get a quote with the 87' Trans Am and...well, it came out to 198 a month. Not too thrilled, as you can imagine.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

That's not too bad for a first time driver. Mine was $260 with the same exact car. When you call them to set up the insurance they will ask you how much you plan on driving it, be conservative with what you tell them.

I recently just got a jeep registered as my daily and when setting up insurance they asked about the trans am, I said that "I have not driven it since June of last year since it's taken apart in the garage" and they lowered the cost on it.

I went from $260 a month for just the trans am when I first got my license and now I'm at $156 a month with both the jeep and trans am included. GEICO is a great company, every time I've had to talk with them on the phone my rates have always gotten lower.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett
Hey, you guys got any tips that can help lower insurance for me? With Geico at the moment, and I just tried to get a quote with the 87' Trans Am and...well, it came out to 198 a month. Not too thrilled, as you can imagine.
You can have it registered in your fathers name with you as a secondary driver.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:01 AM

Thanks Tibo and Tyler. I really appreciate the answers. I'll be sure to look into this stuff in greater detail. Thanks to all of you for your answers and the insight you've given me, can't wait to get behind the wheel of a Trans Am and show it off here when I get it!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:53 PM

You folks recommend manual or automatic for a first timer, and for a Trans Am?
Old 05-14-2017, 06:23 PM

Ok, I might have had a change of mind...I stumbled across another thread where someone similar to my age had a question as to whether they should get a LS1 as their first car. Unlike this thread, several of the responses were no and they even provided other thread links to where people have crashed their cars, LS1's specifically and now I'm somewhat scared to own one. I really want a 3rd gen but while I've been researching for weeks and weeks as to whether i should get it or not, I don't really know if I should. I'm too scared to street race, or even race in a car as powerful as a Trans Am but now I just don't know...if it's really worth it. I always tell myself to never be tempted to race etc., and I don't, and that I should always be wary of my surroundings and to never speed, not even 1 mph over the limit. Still, these cars are cop magnets, but they won't be if I don't allow them to be. What are your people's opinions?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Trans am
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Most third gen Trans ams aren't very fast. Like someone posted previously, they'll have a hard time even keeping up with a modern v6 family sedan. LS1 Trans ams are fast, especially with a manual. If speed is what you're looking for and you have 5 to 10k to spend then you can't go wrong with an LS1. But you say you don't plan on racing or even speeding so should that really be a priority?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Long thread, lots of advice.

My thoughts:

1. Get the car you want.
2. The gas mileage difference is small to zero. The V8 can burn more if you want to use more. But going 65 mph takes the same amount of power and should use the same amount of fuel.
3. Cops aren't going to notice the difference between a red RS and a red IROC.
4. Domestic build quality improved dramatically from the mid 80s through the 90s. I would guess the fourth gens are going to be safer and more reliable by a noticeable margin, but that's just a guess.

Good luck and good job for doing your "homework"! There's a megaton of wisdom on this board.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Yeah, took this ans other threads into consideration and I've come to the decision that I'll pick up a 3rd gen after all. I mean, I'm only going to use it for going to school and back, maybe occasional grocery shopping if I have to. Other than that, it'll be in my garage, where I'll be working on it whenever I have time. Street racing scares me, so there is no way I'll be even gunning this thing and trying to "race" yet. Not until I hit a Jeremy Clarkson age. I'm going to take so much good care of "KITT" (yes, I downloaded the KITT app onto my phone and hooked it up to my dad's car to turn it into KITT, going to hook it up to thr Trans Am soon!) like it's my child. One and only child. I only get one chance to live, this Trans Am gets plenty.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Car: 1992 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 v6

Originally Posted by Tibo
You can have it registered in your fathers name with you as a secondary driver.
Thats exactly what I'm doing, whole lot lower that way.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Aw shoot. How long do you think the 4th gens are really going to last nowadays? Provided that I maintain it as best I can?
Sonny, I have 3 4th Gens sitting in my garage, 1-99 and 2-2000's One I bought new.
The other two are lower mileage and the run and look awesome. But....I looked for nice low mileage not beat to death and I take car of them. Normal wear and tear items will be with ANY car. Third gens weren't the most reliable, but it comes down again to how well they are taken care of. My 88 GTA that I purchased new has 194k miles on it.......It won March Car of the Month.
It all depends...take your time...you'll find a good one.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Car: 1992 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 v6

If i were you especially going with a 3rd gen, I'd go with a v8. My v6 can sometimes have trouble just keeping up with traffic or doing what i need it to to get around in traffic. These cars do have low hp so that's not really something you have to worry about too much, you can make it fast but stock are just barely keeping up with newer v6's. only real advantage i can tell for v6 is engine life if that. I'm about to kit 200k on one and its still running strong, but well maintained. rain is the only thing that you'd have to worry about as far as too much power and losing traction VERY easy. Just dont try to drift in the rain more than one lucky time and you wont end up fishtailing for the next 100 feet before regaining traction if your lucky.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 258 Likes on 198 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Yeah, took this ans other threads into consideration and I've come to the decision that I'll pick up a 3rd gen after all. I mean, I'm only going to use it for going to school and back, maybe occasional grocery shopping if I have to. Other than that, it'll be in my garage, where I'll be working on it whenever I have time. Street racing scares me, so there is no way I'll be even gunning this thing and trying to "race" yet. Not until I hit a Jeremy Clarkson age. I'm going to take so much good care of "KITT" (yes, I downloaded the KITT app onto my phone and hooked it up to my dad's car to turn it into KITT, going to hook it up to thr Trans Am soon!) like it's my child. One and only child. I only get one chance to live, this Trans Am gets plenty.

Good Choice Sonny, I was hoping you went this route. You should got look at that TA in New York, It looks like a really clean and well maintained car.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by vinny R
Good Choice Sonny, I was hoping you went this route. You should got look at that TA in New York, It looks like a really clean and well maintained car.
Thank you! I'll finally be taking the car of my dreams home soon and hope to post pictures here when I get it!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

you can take a defensive driving course and get your insurance rate lowered.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 B&M shift kit
Axle/Gears: stock, G4 posi

Just scrolling this morning and came across this. Didn't read every reply. But here's my answer to your original questions. I got an 89 trans am gta for my first car, at 15 I'm 23 and I still have it today. I think it's awesome when younger generations like these cars! I've had so much fun with mine! As far as reliability, while daily driving that car through highschool, I only replaced the fuel pump, alternator and battery. Anything else was just maintenance, plugs, filters, oil etc. It never left me stranded anywhere. V8 vs v6. Most cars can do 100, the v8 will just get there a little quicker and that's where your responsibility comes into play. They're both going to get sh*t gas mileage! Insurance wise, anything will be high it was 10 dollars a month more for my TA than my dad's cj5 I was driving i had allstate. Ask about a good student discount, that saved me a bunch of money! I drove mine in the snow too, backs of pellets in the trunk really helped, and a light foot. 3rd vs 4th gen are very similar, they each have problems. Get what you like better. Pretty straight forward. As far as having a tough time finding a v6 it could be because of your search, only the 20th anniversary trans am came with a v6, the rest are 8s, you'd be looking for firebirds in a v6. Sorry if I reiterated anything that's already been said! Get one of these cars, you'll love it, fix it how you want. And welcome