Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

GFX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff
GFX Swap

Alright, so, I need to get some things ironed out before I can paint the car. Due to severe rusting in my '84, I've had to move everything over to a more viable shell. I've reused the PS Door, both fenders, and the rear hatch (not that the hatch matters in this case), as I was able to save them from cancer. The DS door was shot.

What I'm facing currently is reinstalling ground effects on the new shell, which has no provisions for ground effects. Obviously my fenders and the PS door have provisions, but I need to install the rocker panel braces (2 for each side, if I can remember how they go) along with getting the holes right along the quarter, etc, so everything lines up correctly.

I will be reusing my '84 TA GFX (the early smaller\lower ones). Can anyone give me an idea on where to start? To be honest this is intimidating me a bit. I don't want to end up drilling multitudes of holes to get it right. The condition of the old shell is bad enough that it would be pretty tough to get accurate measurements from.

Does anyone have a source for the measurements on where to drill the holes? Or is it more of an "eyeball it and hope for the best" sort of scenerio? I'd appreciate any advise.

Thank you,
Mike