Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Front bumper compatability

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bumper compatability

Hi im Sam. Technically im a "new" member here, however i visit this site daily just reading and learning and researching. I've been looking for a 3rd gen camaro/firebird so i can ls swap it and make it my new DD. I figured i would make an account when i found one so i could create a build thread but its taking longer than i expected to find a good car to swap.

So now in an attempt to expand my options, i have come to ask some questions. I really enjoy the firebird body style more, especially the front bumper with the black inserts such as the october COTM on the home page, but i see many more of the base firebird with the long nose and two elongated holes in which the fog lights sit. Is it as simple as unbolting the "base nose" and bolting the other on? Of course it would be painted and color matched as close as possible until i get it a brand new paint job. Thanks to all who help and all input is appreciated
Old 10-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird/88 Firebird/91 Formula
Engine: V6 3.1/V8 5.0/V8 5.0
Transmission: 4L60/700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23/2.73/2.73
Re: Front bumper compatability

Since it has been two days and no one has said anything, welcome Sam. I too, looked around for a while before settling on this forum as my primary site. As you know it contains a wealth of knowledge, members eager to help, and parts galore. Anyway, my two cents as I have an '88 Firebird, with the two black inserts, and two '91s, long nose and elongated holes is basically that the '82 - '90 noses are compatible and the '91 - '92 noses are compatible as a direct swap. To change the early and late years you will also have to swap the fenders and ground effects below. I have not done this and if there are any members, which I'm sure there are, that have, I encourage them to chime in and give you some "out of the horses mouth" information. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Front bumper compatability

Thanks for your input antares! You don't know how much it helps to be able to widen my search and make it easier to find the car i want. Looking forward to my LS swap as a learning experience, hopefully for myself and others