Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Filling spoiler hole reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 TRANS AM
Filling spoiler hole reccomendations

Hey guys,
I decided my 87 Trans Am would look better without the wrap spoiler. I'm planning on putting louvers on the rear hatch and I don't want it to look too clunky. I know the clips on the edge of the hatch glass are welded and need to be ground off, but I want opinions on how to fill the bolt holes in the deck. I really don't want to weld and risk damaging the thin metal. I was thinking plastic plugs and silicone, which I would paint to match car, or try soldering them closed which would probably be pretty time consuming. Is there a better way you guys are familiar with? I'm all ears! Thanks guys. Looking forward to reading your ideas.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4
Re: Filling spoiler hole reccomendations

IMO, you typically want similar materials so that they expand and contract at the same rates, otherwise it can crack and/or distort over time. Add to that slamming the hatch down etc., and it's even more likely. I actually like the non-spoiler look but imo it would need to be smooth and no plugs to distract from the minimalist type of look. Washing/waxing would kind of suck too imo.

Metal that thin is welded every day but I'm not sure if the glass needs to be removed to do it. I had a hole in the A pillar and was told by a body shop that the glass needed to be removed.
OTOH, if you were to weld it yourself you would tack it in place and spread the welds around to avoid overheating and distorting the metal. Soldering/leading in a backing plate might work too.

Also, I'm not sure what's underneath the rear deck because I've seen an entire car destroyed by hail while the rear deck was unaffected. -hope that helps.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

The structure of the metal hatch piece is actually very strong. It's surprisngly heavy. There are "rails" directly under the mounting holes that would support filler very well. I would just fill the area under the hole with fiber reinforced filler, then thin coat of reg filler to fill the actual hole. It will be invisible when painted. I don't think you will gave any problems with it cracking or anything.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

I welded mine up with a flux cored wire feed. Lay some wet rags over the glass first to protect from splatter. Was pretty thick for body metal... My A-pillars were pretty thin (and I did that with the windshield in)
Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird convertible
Engine: LQ4 ls 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 342 Limited slip

Take it to a body shop they will weld it up for around 30 bucks or so and you will have a repair that will last filler will crack over time