Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

IROC-Z badge question, and hood question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4 4BBL
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27
IROC-Z badge question, and hood question

First question...my rear bumper IROC-Z badge appears to be silver and black...while the rocker panel badges are gold and black. The RPO code on the car says it came with the gold IROC-Z door decals(which are no longer on the car) and gold stripe around the rockers. which are also no longer on the car, due to a re-paint under factory warranty according to the original owner as the clear coat was peeling within the first couple of years.
The carfax shows no accidents...possible someone stole it and they replaced it, or, my guess is it is sun faded possibly? Or did it come that way? I would think, they should ALL be the same color

And, is there a way to align the hood? My hood appears to stick up 1/4 inch and not flush on the drivers side towards the windshield, not much, but I notice it and it bugs me!
This is the best pic I have atm, if you notice, you can see how the hood seem to rise up on the drivers side as you look from the front to the rear

OH, and also, are the center wheel caps supposed to say IROC-Z? They are the base wheels for that year, and they just say Camaro on them. I do want to upgrade and get some 16inch IROC wheels, or some 18 inch Factory reproductions, as I think tires will be easier to find for the 18's instead of the 16's

Last edited by ledman66; 12-19-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 290 Likes on 169 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: IROC-Z badge question, and hood question

OH, and also, are the center wheel caps supposed to say IROC-Z? They are the base wheels for that year, and they just say Camaro on them. I do want to upgrade and get some 16inch IROC wheels, or some 18 inch Factory reproductions, as I think tires will be easier to find for the 18's instead of the 16's[/quote]

This Was The Standard Wheel On All Camaro's In 1988,They Said CAMARO, And IROC-Z,Also It Was The Only Year That All Models Had Silver Center Caps. The Optional 16" Wheel Said IROC-Z.
Name:  001_zpsbfd94520.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  215.8 KB

Last edited by gt4373; 12-20-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by gt4373
OH, and also, are the center wheel caps supposed to say IROC-Z? They are the base wheels for that year, and they just say Camaro on them. I do want to upgrade and get some 16inch IROC wheels, or some 18 inch Factory reproductions, as I think tires will be easier to find for the 18's instead of the 16's
This Was The Standard Wheel On All Camaro's In 1988,They Said CAMARO, And IROC-Z,Also It Was The Only Year That All Models Had Silver Center Caps. The Optional 16" Wheel Said IROC-Z.
Name:  001_zpsbfd94520.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  215.8 KB[/QUOTE]

Thanks...OK so I guess they are correct for the car the way it was ordered. Thing that sucks is the wheels were originally gold, as the car had the gold IROC door decals and stripes according to all the RPO codes, but the original owner did not want the gold wheels so I guess the dealer swapped for the black ones. But it's ok, I am eventually going to get some 16inch IROCZ wheels.

Anyone know anything about the body badges being different colors?
And how to align the hood? I guess I could go to a body shop and have them do it, but I am sure that would cost me at least $60 for them to do it
Old 12-27-2014, 06:05 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

The rear badge should be gold also. Are you sure the rims were swapped and not just painted?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
The rear badge should be gold also. Are you sure the rims were swapped and not just painted?
Well, the rims have chips in them and I don't see any gold paint. Story was the original owner did not want gold rims, so the dealer swapped them for him.

My guess is...the rear emblem was replaced maybe in a minor fender bender, but the car fax shows no accidents reported, but that doesn't mean it was not in a accident. I cannot think of any other reason really, other than some one stole the emblem.
I found a set of new ones, set of 3 for the sides and rear for $50 on ebay.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy

These cars have seen a lot of years now, it's hard to say why the rear emblem ended up being replaced.

The hood hinge has a closing height adjustment. At the rear of the hinge, there's an adjustable rubber stop. Remove the rubber and screw the adjuster down a couple turns, re-install the rubber and close the hood to check your adjustment. May take a couple tries to get it perfect.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 86blackiroc
These cars have seen a lot of years now, it's hard to say why the rear emblem ended up being replaced.

The hood hinge has a closing height adjustment. At the rear of the hinge, there's an adjustable rubber stop. Remove the rubber and screw the adjuster down a couple turns, re-install the rubber and close the hood to check your adjustment. May take a couple tries to get it perfect.
Ok cool I only knew about the rubber stoppers on the front I will check that out today thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ledman66
Ok cool I only knew about the rubber stoppers on the front I will check that out today thanks!
I forgot to mention, when you lower the hinge down, if your struts are weak at all, it may make it difficult to raise the hood up without also having to kinda pull it forward.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:26 PM

I forgot to mention, when you lower the hinge down, if your struts are weak at all, it may make it difficult to raise the hood up without also having to kinda pull it forward.
OK, I found that bolt you were talking about and adjusted the hood, and it looks allot better now.Not perfect but MUCH better than it was.
My struts are good, they look pretty newish, so no issues there. Thank you for the guidance on where to adjust the hood!

AND, I now know why the IROC-Z badge on the back does not match...I remember the kid who sold me the car, mention to me that the car MAY have been sideswiped on the passenger side but was not 100% positive on this.

Seeing some red top coat showing through in the hatch weather stripping area, under my black paint, made me realize something was not right here. With the help of another member here form the forum, he helped me identify that my pasg side quarter panel was not original to the car, but infact had been replaced. The main factor that gave this away was, 2 small holes in the door jamb area above the door striker, that are indicative to a T-Top car only. I have no T-tops.
SO, the pasg. quarter panel and the rear bumper appear to have been replaced at some point in the cars life. The car fax only goes back to 1992, so it's possible it happened before that or maybe not reported. Anyways, they did a pretty good job over all, so must have been a professional body shop that did the work.

So, now that mystery is solved lol
Old 12-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Glad you got the hood adjusted

It's pretty easy for things to get fixed without carfax knowing about it, and it happens quite often. I worked in a bodyshop for 14 or 15 years, I've fixed an awful lot of stuff that would have been totaled if the insurance company was paying the bill. It was usually cars that the owner was very attached to and didn't want to lose (myself included). Others were just minor repairs that the owner didn't want their rates going up.

Last I saw, the emblem sets available on ebay are nice looking, but not exactly like the originals. If you are a stickler for correctness, I think I have a gold IROC rear bumper emblem (used). I can look if you are interested.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Glad you got the hood adjusted

It's pretty easy for things to get fixed without carfax knowing about it, and it happens quite often. I worked in a bodyshop for 14 or 15 years, I've fixed an awful lot of stuff that would have been totaled if the insurance company was paying the bill. It was usually cars that the owner was very attached to and didn't want to lose (myself included). Others were just minor repairs that the owner didn't want their rates going up.

Last I saw, the emblem sets available on ebay are nice looking, but not exactly like the originals. If you are a stickler for correctness, I think I have a gold IROC rear bumper emblem (used). I can look if you are interested.
That would be great, yes I am interested! I would like them to be correct as possible. Thanks! Just pm me with your asking price when you find it.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 PM

I need to know if a 1989 Irocz badges are the same sizes as the RS rear bumper and rocker panels