Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Iroc Hood insulation, louver removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Iroc z 1990
Engine: 5.7 tpi flat top pistons
Transmission: 5 speed
Iroc Hood insulation, louver removal

After a couple years of patiently waiting I scored a solid, no rust no dents hood with louvers in excellent condition for $160., I will need to remove the louvers for paint and there is no insulation, just the plastic retaining discs. I know from removing louvers the last time I painted the studs tend to break off, last time I broke only one but that was fifteen years ago, I was thinking silicone spray and possibly slightly warming with heat gun, anyone have a proven method? and replacement insulation suggestions would be appreciated
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears
Re: Iroc Hood insulation, louver removal

I've got the hood insulation from my car sitting in the shed, and I believe most of the clips for it. Replacement clips can be found in the help! section at places like Advance or Autozone.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 93 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73 01 SS

Most of mine had broken off. Was considering using a kind of backing panel I could attach somehow and bolt through that into the hood. There's also those other pieces that look like reverse cowls that fit into the same spot on that kind of hood. I was going to use those instead.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 PM

Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92

The tough thing is their age and plastic construction. I've never removed mine but I see that some of the speed nuts are missing. I'd research ways of successful removal. I'm sure someone in youtube land has done it.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:13 AM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 93 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73 01 SS

Best thing to do would be to prolly just soak them in pb blaster and heat up the metal nuts a little bit and slowly take them off. If they break I'm sure you could just epoxy them back on.

I did mine the old fashioned way and broke off all but maybe 3 of them.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27

Turn the hood upside down, fill the holes in the studs with epoxy and let em dry. Best chance for removal without breaking them IMO.

If you could find some way of scuffing the inside of the hole without breaking anything, it would give the epoxy that much more to grab on to. (maybe a bent needle?)

with the price of louvers, you cant help but want to strengthen them any way possible heh...
Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by khulsebus
I've got the hood insulation from my car sitting in the shed, and I believe most of the clips for it. Replacement clips can be found in the help! section at places like Advance or Autozone.
did you have to do anything, like heat to help the factory adhesive to release? my old hood still has the original insulation, thank you and the others for their inputs
Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Car: '89 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L65/70E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch, 3.70 gears

To get the insulation off the hood? No, it's held in place with a bunch of push clips. This is the 3rd of these cars that I've owned, I've taken the insulation off all of them, not one of them had the insulation held in place by anything but the push clips.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Car: basic third gens
Engine: that I like
Transmission: to restore
Axle/Gears: and enjoy

Originally Posted by Keoman
Turn the hood upside down, fill the holes in the studs with epoxy and let em dry. Best chance for removal without breaking them IMO.

If you could find some way of scuffing the inside of the hole without breaking anything, it would give the epoxy that much more to grab on to. (maybe a bent needle?)

with the price of louvers, you cant help but want to strengthen them any way possible heh...
Ah, that's a good idea! I'll have to try the epoxy trick next time.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

No matter what you do the studs are going to break off and need to be repaired. Here is a link to my thread on how I fixed mine. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/698496-louver-stud-repair.html

Hope this will help.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 PM

I practiced on my old, bent, hood. I used a solvent free silicone spray and didn't warm them up as our temperature was in the low 80's the other day, I have broken 3 off, years ago when I painted the car and they broke off right at the nut, this time one broke loose at the louver taking a piece of the underside of the louver. talking to another gear head, his experience is that many times when the louvers are removed the underside has various types of dust and debris. His theory is that with heating and cooling cycles this adds to the stress on the attachment. the link to the repair is helpfull, hopefully the other hood will release them without damage as the donor car was a garage car. as for my insulation the leading and trailing edges had some adhesive in areas that were tearing a bit, the car was only one the track one season but the engine and trans had been pulled several times.