Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

I think I'm pissed off at paint man!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 z
Engine: 383 small block chevy
Transmission: tko 600
Axle/Gears: strange dana 60 4:10
I think I'm pissed off at paint man!

Ok back ground I have 1984 camaro. That was in very good shape when I got last year. The paint looked good from 10 feet away. So I had the money to get it painted. So everyone tell me this guy that paints old cars does a great job but sometimes takes his time. So I give him the two thousand dollars. He said he will paint it. So after 3 months of having my car. Now have you I go up there a lot to check on it. But anyway it's painted and I went to his shop and was looking over the car. The lower part of door right above the ground effects bracket looks like he painted RIGHT OVER THE RUST! WTF! and he said take it home and in a few weeks I'll wet sand the car and buffet it. I'm no body man by any means. But what would you guys say to this dude.? And I have seen his work on other cars the look great. I'm more sad than pissed. I don't know what to do. Please help.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:22 PM

Re: I think I'm pissed off at paint man!

Originally Posted by bbc632
Ok back ground I have 1984 camaro. That was in very good shape when I got last year. The paint looked good from 10 feet away. So I had the money to get it painted. So everyone tell me this guy that paints old cars does a great job but sometimes takes his time. So I give him the two thousand dollars. He said he will paint it. So after 3 months of having my car. Now have you I go up there a lot to check on it. But anyway it's painted and I went to his shop and was looking over the car. The lower part of door right above the ground effects bracket looks like he painted RIGHT OVER THE RUST! WTF! and he said take it home and in a few weeks I'll wet sand the car and buffet it. I'm no body man by any means. But what would you guys say to this dude.? And I have seen his work on other cars the look great. I'm more sad than pissed. I don't know what to do. Please help.
And he said when the ground effects goes back on you won't see that., I'm so fing pissed idk what to do.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have pics? What was the agreement? Did you discuss any repairs or just a paint job? Materials alone for my car were around a grand. A cut and buff was gonna run 500. I waited 13 months for the job to get done. I did all disassembly and assembly of the parts after paint. A good paint job with quality paint will be around 5,000.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:49 PM

I brought the car to him and said sure I can paint that right up. And the only rust on the car was on the door. Idk but it looks good besides that. But I would think he should wet sand and buffet before I take home? I don't want to bring back again.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Be he said take it put your weather striping back on and drive it back and I'll wet sand and buffet. Idk
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Have to wait for the paint to cure. Sometimes it will shrink and show sanding marks after a while. These will be taken care of with a cut and buff. Honestly I'd give it a good month in the sun to cure out and let him cut and buff it. Any repairs should have been talked about before negotiating a price.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Your right man. It does look good but I'll give it time to cure.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Again, before accepting it have an agreement that he will do the cut and buff so there is no confusion and he says " I meant I would do it for a fee".
Old 08-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

If it will be covered up, you may want to discuss what it would cost to clean up the rust and use a rust converter, seal and paint it.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA "Cocaine"
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

2k is super cheap but he should have told you about the rust on the door and charged you more.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Trans am
Engine: 5.7 TPI

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get what you expected, but its not the painters fault. Rust repair isn't part of a paint job, its something that you have to discuss beforehand and get charged extra for. Its like paying a mechanic to replace your starter and getting mad that they didn't flush your coolant.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 PM

When I took the car up to his shop he looked the car over and yes I can paint this ,I said cool.anyway I'm coming to find out some more things from this guy. And take my hard very hard not easy earned money somewhere else.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:35 PM

And it kind of his fault ,when he took off the ground effects off the door and seen a rest spot he should have called me .I would have been more than happy to pay extra.this car came AZ and not a drop of rest anywhere else but the door under the ground effect s.I had no way of knowing about any rust.and its only a two inch place ,live and learn.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by Joe Tag
You have pics? What was the agreement? Did you discuss any repairs or just a paint job? Materials alone for my car were around a grand. A cut and buff was gonna run 500. I waited 13 months for the job to get done. I did all disassembly and assembly of the parts after paint. A good paint job with quality paint will be around 5,000.
exactly why you see rustoleum paint jobs. yes the cost of materials are astronomical and labor too. and most don't want to ,or cant wait a year to get their car back from the shop. im not saying rattle cans are the way to go,by any means. its just body shops have priced themselves out of the reach of all but the people who can afford the $1,000,000 paint jobs. its better to learn to paint and just do it yourself.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Not saying I agree with prices, just what the going rate is. Fact is painters don't like all over paint jobs. Much more profit and less labor to replace a fender, fill a lil dent and blend some paint.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Not saying I agree with prices, just what the going rate is. Fact is painters don't like all over paint jobs. Much more profit and less labor to replace a fender, fill a lil dent and blend some paint.
a wonder any of them are still in business at that rate. and I know how it is . I have been quoted $7,500 to paint my IROC. I told the guy he MUST be smoking the good sh%$. and I only wanted single stage basic black ! im now in the process of building my own paint booth. I have the skills .but not the time!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 357
Transmission: 700r4

Talk to the guy, let him know why you're unhappy and maybe he can work a deal and fix it. Sounds like there is a bit of fault on both sides, especially if he was quoting a paint job only. If the guy has a good reputation, im sure he will want to work with you to ensure a happy customer in the long run.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by rusty vango
a wonder any of them are still in business at that rate. and I know how it is . I have been quoted $7,500 to paint my IROC. I told the guy he MUST be smoking the good sh%$. and I only wanted single stage basic black ! im now in the process of building my own paint booth. I have the skills .but not the time!

I don't understand this mentality. If I'm mad about the high cost of having the dentist remove my wisdom teeth, I don't buy a scalpel and try it myself. Skilled trades are best left to professionals, thats why it costs so much.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ZsTransAm
I don't understand this mentality. If I'm mad about the high cost of having the dentist remove my wisdom teeth, I don't buy a scalpel and try it myself. Skilled trades are best left to professionals, thats why it costs so much.
thing is ,many of us simply cannot afford their prices. so naturally we look for ANY alternatives. if it means we paint it ourselves with Sherwin Williams house paint and use a brush. well WTF? I see your point though. however its just plain stupid for a shop to quote you a paint job for $7,500. AND insist on using a two stage paint. bottom line ,THAT is why you see and will continue to see rustoleum paint jobs on whats left of the 3rd gens
Old 08-31-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by rusty vango
thing is ,many of us simply cannot afford their prices. so naturally we look for ANY alternatives. if it means we paint it ourselves with Sherwin Williams house paint and use a brush. well WTF? I see your point though. however its just plain stupid for a shop to quote you a paint job for $7,500. AND insist on using a two stage paint. bottom line ,THAT is why you see and will continue to see rustoleum paint jobs on whats left of the 3rd gens
Oh I understand why people attempt it themselves, my question is why they think it will be easy and look good. Let me ask you, how much do you think a paint job should cost?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ZsTransAm
Oh I understand why people attempt it themselves, my question is why they think it will be easy and look good. Let me ask you, how much do you think a paint job should cost?
hey it DOES take skill, and it does take time to do it RIGHT.and im not trying to take away from that at all. but the fact remains ...most cant even afford the sand paper they would go through LET ALONE anything else. and I don't think anyone logically thinks it will be easy OR look good. but the truth is... professional paint is out of reach for most of the 3rd gen "enthusiasts". it simply is out of reach. sorta like a date with ava mendez. its nice to dream. but it AINT gonna happen.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L-V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 - Posi -10 Bolt

Originally Posted by bbc632
I brought the car to him and said sure I can paint that right up. And the only rust on the car was on the door. Idk but it looks good besides that. But I would think he should wet sand and buffet before I take home? I don't want to bring back again.

Exactly, you brought in the car and he said he could paint it. Sounds like you just gave him your 2K and left. You should have asked questions, specifically what all he is going to do, OR, at the very least told him what you expected to have completed. Also, get things in writing, and only pay the cost of materials, OR up to 50% of the job BEFORE completion, these are all very common things.

It's like you going to the barber, asking him if he can cut hair, he's going to say yes, (just like you asked a painter, if he could paint your car). You then hand him money and say cut my hair, without an understanding of how to cut your hair or at the very least your expectations.. then you get mad when they shave your head??
Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM

Okay this is not a ”Pro shop” just a guy that can paint .if he wants to or in the mood.anyway its my fault takening it to this guy anyway we have history _he's been jealous of my parents for a long time.he's kids went to drugs and they had it made now one is dead. He turns out flawless work when hev wants to.when I took the car to him .he looked the car over and I said set a price to do whatever needs to be done to paint and good .he said I need the money to pay my house rent .so I did that .anyway he's just a lame ***.and Friday I went and put a leen on some of his **** .its not right when you go up there like once or twice a week .to ask if you need any parts or need anything else ,it was always I got this no problem s. And done took the car to another painter in town and he laughed at the guys work.paid him half 2500 this time and the rest when I get the car back. Done spent 17,000 for a motor I built at the gm plant this spring ,so what's another 5 k.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by padak
Exactly, you brought in the car and he said he could paint it. Sounds like you just gave him your 2K and left. You should have asked questions, specifically what all he is going to do, OR, at the very least told him what you expected to have completed. Also, get things in writing, and only pay the cost of materials, OR up to 50% of the job BEFORE completion, these are all very common things.

It's like you going to the barber, asking him if he can cut hair, he's going to say yes, (just like you asked a painter, if he could paint your car). You then hand him money and say cut my hair, without an understanding of how to cut your hair or at the very least your expectations.. then you get mad when they shave your head??

I asked him a ton of questions . like 15 a week always nope everything is good. It doesn't matter now anyhow.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L-V8
Axle/Gears: 3.23 - Posi -10 Bolt

It doesn't have to be a "pro shop" for you to get something in writing.. or hell tell him what you expected to have done, and you just changed your whole tune from post 1 to last post.
If you had bad history with him why even take it to him.. none of this makes sense.

Also why would you spend 17K on a motor, and cheap on a paint job? You can get a BUILT motor for under 10K and spend 5K on a GREAT paint job and go waste the 2K you have left at the strip club.. or on typing/grammar lessons.. your choice.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Because there's no many places in wv to have a good paint job.idk I'm just busy and I shouldn't have taken it to him, and I didn't set this dudes price ! He did lol if he wanted 5k I would have paid it. And I actually wanted to build my own engine so I Called GM and they had a program to do just that so I did right at there plant it was a blast BTW. And I don't have a lot years left and I can't take it with me . So both my boys will have a 3rd gen. Kidney failure/transplant are a bitch at @37 years old.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM

I knew that was going to fly out at me some time . Check your grammar skills that one gets me every time. I'm sure you had perfect penman-ship all through school . And I dont think to much about penmanship these days anyways . It is what it is.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc vert, t-top
Engine: 305

Painting- supplies easily run $1k. I've seen the receipts when my hubby buys paint.
He normally charges around $3k for a paint job- (more if you have rust/dents) and it's beautiful when he's done. Now, I can tell you from my OH working on these cars, it takes a good 20+ hours to take the car apart to do it properly, and sand it down and get it ready for paint. Then if there's dents/dings, it adds even more time. Then there's the time to mask it off and ready for paint- that runs another couple hours. Painting- normally takes a few hours, depending on the color/colors used. Putting it back together is around 8 hours. Buffing takes a couple of hours. My husband can easily put in close to 40 hours, if not more; to give your baby that paint you want it to have. By the time he finishes, he doesn't make the huge chunk of change per hour that you think he is.

To the OP, it sounds like you got the quickie- where nothing is removed.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 327
Axle/Gears: 3.23

To paint over rust is his fault. You dont do finish work over a crap foundation. Its like your painter painting your house and painting over rot. Its called if you know what you are doing then you should have known better clause.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc vert, t-top
Engine: 305

Originally Posted by jchaussee
To paint over rust is his fault. You dont do finish work over a crap foundation. Its like your painter painting your house and painting over rot. Its called if you know what you are doing then you should have known better clause.
Correct. But you know how many guys have wanted my hubby to do just that so they can save some $$$? He refuses those jobs because his name is then attached to the crappy car, even though his work is nice.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 89 forrmula
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.55

My opinion is that if anybody offers a service such as painting somebody's 3rd gen, he should known not everybody knows what to look for, what might be hiding, etc. If it were me, I normally would say something like OK, without pulling everything to check the hidden areas for crust, I am charging you an inspection fee to see if there are any surprises that need attention...then that fee can apply towards the agreed upon price for proper rust repair.

That keeps both people honest.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by beths91camaro
Painting- supplies easily run $1k. I've seen the receipts when my hubby buys paint.
He normally charges around $3k for a paint job- (more if you have rust/dents) and it's beautiful when he's done. Now, I can tell you from my OH working on these cars, it takes a good 20+ hours to take the car apart to do it properly, and sand it down and get it ready for paint. Then if there's dents/dings, it adds even more time. Then there's the time to mask it off and ready for paint- that runs another couple hours. Painting- normally takes a few hours, depending on the color/colors used. Putting it back together is around 8 hours. Buffing takes a couple of hours. My husband can easily put in close to 40 hours, if not more; to give your baby that paint you want it to have. By the time he finishes, he doesn't make the huge chunk of change per hour that you think he is.

To the OP, it sounds like you got the quickie- where nothing is removed.
" I waited 13 months for the job to get done. I did all disassembly and assembly of the parts after paint. A good paint job with quality paint will be around 5,000."

So... How long SHOULD a $5000 paint job take if you do all the disassembly/reassemble. 13 months to me seems like a long time for minor/major bodywork, prep, mask, paint,and cut and buff.

It's obvious that he was doing other jobs and not just dedicated to yours.

IDK....
Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Could always resort to this.....

I think I'm pissed off at paint man!-earl-scheib.jpg
Old 09-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

It was a battle. I was told one month gave him three. Things went awry, he left the business with his father and went to work for a dealership. Came in on weekends, sometimes not for a while longer. Never said my job cost 5k, I was under half that. Had patches in the quarters plenty of dings from sitting in my garage for years and being used as a table. Welded SFCs in for me. But I was heavily involved in the process and helped out around the shop to make up for the cost. Didn't mind that since it was pretty educational.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...ct-coming.html
Old 09-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

It was a battle. I was told one month gave him three. Things went awry, he left the business with his father and went to work for a dealership. Came in on weekends, sometimes not for a while longer. Never said my job cost 5k, I was under half that. Had patches in the quarters plenty of dings from sitting in my garage for years and being used as a table. Welded SFCs in for me. But I was heavily involved in the process and helped out around the shop to make up for the cost. Didn't mind that since it was pretty educational.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...ct-coming.html
Joe.. I was being funny with the Earl Schieb post. I just hear the magic number of 5 grand and I cringe!! I know it a lot of money for a good job.
Its great you were involved in that process

In the late 70's (as a young teen), my best friend and I did painting; back when Dupont Imron paint was popular. We could put out some nice work for cheap! My oh my have times have changed!!!!!