Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Help with T-top seals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Help with T-top seals?

hey guys, i know i normally am one of the first people to chime in when it comes to people having questions about t-top seals, but today i need help. not sure if anyone remembers my rust repair which entailed me having to tear apart the roof section of the a-pillar, but since then, my t-tops have been leaking through the center bar. I have put more weather strip adhesive places, found small voids and filled them with RTV, but during last night's thunderstorm, i found a puddle in my center console despite the car being covered (its normally garaged, but when i'm working on projects it has to be moved outside).
looking for any advice or guidance to try and fix this leak. any ideas on where to start looking, i guess i'll have to pull off the seals and try to re-lay them, but should i pull up the t-bar too?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears
Re: Help with T-top seals?

Do you see any "trail" from exactly where the water was leaking from?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

I would spend some time with the hose and figure out exactly where the water cones from first. But my bet is it's getting under the front of the bar.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Here is a GM T-Top manual in pdf format:
http://www.kt-s.net/media/T-Top%20Wa...k%20Manual.pdf

Also check the tech articles on the home page:
https://www.thirdgen.org/ttops
https://www.thirdgen.org/ttopleakfix
Another link with info:
http://www.fierottop.com/waterleak/

There's a product mentioned in the manual to help remove the weather stripping. Then I would dry out the t-top bar to make sure it doesn't start to rust. Up to you if you want to go through the effort though.
Release Agent A special blend of solvents that quickly softens adhesive bonds between weatherstrips and metals to aid in weatherstrip removal. Will not harm paint finish.
1. Kent 30125 - Special Release Agent SR-A
2. 3M 08971 - Release Agent
3. American Sure Seal SRI - Release It

Last edited by Scorpner; 08-13-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
Do you see any "trail" from exactly where the water was leaking from?
i havent located any sorta trail, but i know its coming in from the center of the t-bar, before the rust repair, i'd get it through the t-bar center console sometimes, but it would also leak through the sun visor holes, but thats not happening now.

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
I would spend some time with the hose and figure out exactly where the water cones from first. But my bet is it's getting under the front of the bar.
I agree it must be coming from the front, i think i will use the hose and see if i can get it to leak. but i have a feeling i'll be taking the seals off, and maybe the t-bar

Originally Posted by Scorpner
Here is a GM T-Top manual in pdf format:
http://www.kt-s.net/media/T-Top%20Wa...k%20Manual.pdf

Also check the tech articles on the home page:
https://www.thirdgen.org/ttops
https://www.thirdgen.org/ttopleakfix
Another link with info:
http://www.fierottop.com/waterleak/

There's a product mentioned in the manual to help remove the weather stripping. Then I would dry out the t-top bar to make sure it doesn't start to rust. Up to you if you want to go through the effort though.
alright, thanks, when i get a chance to sit down, i'll take a look
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

You need to replace the seals and install them properly. Do lots of research here and know what you are getting yourself into, and if they are leaking, expect to find rust when you remove the old seals.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Supreme Member

i figured i'd add onto this topic rather than start a new one.

today i FINALLY got around to testing for water leaks. I tried my hardest to get the water to leak again, but it wouldnt perform for me. so i figured i'd pull off the seals, then they just started tearing apart....a little tear at first, thought "oh i can still save it" then another tear and i figured screw it.

so now the car has no seals, and is back in the garage, i'll order up some new ones later this week from hawks (lowest price i could find) and i am wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me when the time comes to put the seals back on? i already lined the weather strip channel with some RTV to hopefully ensure any spots that are leaking are sealed.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Since you have the seals off have you pulled the bar again? Might see some leak evidence.
I think that's where it was leaking anyway. IMHO I have found that it is rarely the seals that leak unless the hatches are adjusted too loose. It's usually water getting under the t bar. Once it's under there it goes right under the seals. Make sure you have the ends well sealed with goop and there are no pinholes in the seam of the pieces that make up the bar.
With my 85 I went another step and flushed the surface of the body where the ttop bar sits.
Attached Thumbnails Help with T-top seals?-image.jpg  

Last edited by stealtht/a; 08-26-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Supreme Member

Here's before paint
Attached Thumbnails Help with T-top seals?-image.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

I only have the seals off, i didnt take the t-bar off. I suppose i could get that off too, wouldnt be difficult now, and i would think that the water would be coming from the t-bar area too, but when i fit the old seals back on here, there was a small gap where the seal turned between the t-bar and the a-pillar roof so i figured it was coming from there, i stuffed it with RTV and it leaked again. what kind of evidence would i be looking for of water leaks if i pull off the t-bar? it only leaked through there a total of 4 times