Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Front quarter alignment and door advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front quarter alignment and door advice

Bought a 91 Z28 site unseen.

(I live in hong kong, car is in Australia)

These cars are super rare in Australia and being manual and TPI and checking the vin code for options I jumped on it.

I have since spent some time with the car to find out it looks like its taken a knock to the left hand front quarter at some stage.

I knew the bonnet was not original from the lack of blisters and being wrong color under the red paint.

Ground effects where lacking screws that side and one tab was broken off.

If you look at the photo you will notice there is quite a gap between the bonnet and the quarter on the right hand side of the photo (left hand side car) vs the other side.

My question is, is there any way at all of fixing this? (removing panel and bending something)

I have also noticed on that side the door slightly touches the edge of the quarter panel when opening causing the paint to have come off.

Would this be more likely due to hinges that need replacing or from the front end damage it received?

I am going to install weld in sub frame connectors, should I not attempt to fix any of this until after they are welded in?

I have a feeling in the US the smart thing to do with be to sell it and get one with a straight body but its just not an option in Australia.

Like i said it drives straight and does not scrub tires, it looks okay from under the car but for sure its taken a hit there at some time.

I really want to save this car, I have already put so many man hours into it I get misty eyed thinking about giving up on her but I cannot stand to look at unequal gaps without it sending me insane.

Is this anywhere in the realm of fixable to somebody with an infinite amount of time and patience and a willingness to try anything?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '87 Iroc
Engine: 350 TPI with Holley Terminator X
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: Stock/ Factory
Re: Front quarter alignment and door advice

I am by no means an expert here but yes i think it is fixable. The fender can be shimmed or aligned better to the hood and door. It is a big pain though from the little I have done. If you google, fender alignement/thirdgen.org it will bring up plenty of information.
hope this helps
Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 AM

Car: 83 Z 28
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: dunno

Nice car,
If you are planning on keeping the car I'd recommend you have the thing put on a frame machine first to ensure it's straight. Miss aligned body panels may mask serious damage. My first 3rd gen was in a wreck and not fixed properly. It ate tranny's like mad. It's a pain and expense to get it checked. But, well worth the investment in the long run
Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

If you open the hood, do you see any signs of damage or repairs to the wheel well, front subframe or battery box area? If not, you're probably fine.

Is the gap at the rear of the door even? If so, then your door is most likely sagging due to worn hinge pins. If not, then the fender is just misaligned.

To fix the fender, remove the plastic splash shield in the wheel well so you can remove the speed nuts on the front of the ground effects. There is a bolt under the car there that attaches the fender, loosen it. Then loosen all the bolts along the top of the fender, including the 2 holding the hood hinge in place. Start at the rear of the fender, in front of the door, and slide the fender till the gaps line up. Tighten the hood hinge bolts and the bolt under the car. Then work your way down the fender's top bolts, holding the fender in place and tightening them down. The hard part is eyeballing the hood/fender gap while the hood is open so you can tighten the bolts.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I just noticed in the picture the front nose cone is also sticking out in the section where it meets the lights on top.

Is it attached to the front quarter somehow and will it go in when i adjust/push that panel in?

I don't want it sticking out when I correct the panel if possible.

Also not related but, I have the LB9 305 tpi that has heat soak issues with the starter.

Whats the best brand, type mini starter to get for it?

I have painless wiring remote solenoid kit also but id rather lose some weight at the same time as fixing the hot start.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...t/model/camaro
I got this for my 350 engine in my hot rod,it solved that heat soak issue.